rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kiroquai

Cricket Lovely Cricket - The Ashes 2013 (Series 1, England - 3-0)

In cases like that, though, I think the 3rd umpire should have the power to tell the umpire he's made a bad mistake and to overturn it. The technology is there, and in cases of obvious errors like this one - and not debatable issues which the teams can review for - I believe the tech should correct things like this.

If England do go on to win by 30 - 40 runs it'll be bought up again.

Walking is a weird thing anyway. Certain coaches tell their team not to walk under any circumstances. When I played cricket at the ridiculously low level I got to, my coach would have thrown a bag of cricket balls at me for doing it. That was at the toe-end of the game; at the pinnacle it's getting rarer and rarer and with the match in the situation it is in, I can't say I am surprised Broad didn't.

Yeah I think it's true that none of the Aussies would either most likely. Bit of a shame but there we are. Clarke should not have used a speculative review on that LBW that wasn't, save them for the howlers innit.

It'll be a laugh to see the Aussie's making too much about the Broad incident. They literally invented the 'never walk' attitude. I'd like to have seen Broad walk too but again, at the end of the day, I'd rather we won the series.

I wouldn't have walked, not after Trott was sawn off by bad umpiring. He's not going to win the ICC Spirit of Cricket award, but I think Broad did the right thing here, not just for the team but in terms of redressing the balance of umpiring decisions in the game.

Looking forward to the declaration - Broad has a tendancy to follow up a good innings with the bat with a high-confidence spell of bowling. That said, I'd bat until lunch.

Declare at lunch? Please tell me you're joking. 5 sessions to chase ~300?!

And don't say "they'll never chase 320 on a tough pitch" as if it's tough we don't need to bowl as many overs to get them out.

Declare at lunch? Please tell me you're joking. 5 sessions to chase ~300?!

And don't say "they'll never chase 320 on a tough pitch" as if it's tough we don't need to bowl as many overs to get them out.

Ah, I was still working on a weather forecast I'd read earlier this week, which had thunderstorms on Sunday. Looks like it's going to be dry now, so batting on is the order of the day.

I can see both sides of the argument - but if there was no signal from the umpire, Broad does not have to go.

This is the trouble with the review system. Use them badly and it comes back to haunt you.

Tbh the more I think about it the more I can see only one side of the argument. Don't walk. Trott shouldn't have been out but the Aussies did their best to cinvince the umpire he was, it worked.

This test match has been epic. Ebbed and flowed back and forth with each team at various times seeming to take the upper hand only to have it wrestled away from them. Whilst it looks like England are in the driving seat, until that last wicket falls, nothing is assured. It's gonna be a nervy one tomorrow I reckon.

Also have to say that Glenn McGrath is a great addition to TMS this year.

Yeah, the Beeb might reckon that England are heading to a win, but I think Australia are still very dangerous. Agar can do anything. Haddin is tricky too, although I'm less concerned about him than I would have been Wade.

Fair play to Michael Clarke. Came out for the media interview when he could have sent someone else, and was very fair on the whole Broad thing and said he didn't think any less of Broad at all.

Looking forward to tomorrow! Has been a great first test so far.

Reckon Finn is getting the chop for Thursday. Think they'll go with Bresnan. They've only just bought Finn on and I don't think Cook really wants to use him.

Edit: 15 off Finn's first over too.

depends if the heatwave continues, perhaps. in these conditions, reverse swing is important, and Bresnan is a pretty good reverse swinger.

edit - ooh, Haddin is mounting a counter-attack.

Broad's our best hope now, with Swann misfiring, Finn getting clobbered and Anderson crocked. Broad is bowling well though. this is probably the worst i've seen Swann bowl in this sort of situation.

edit - or some quick repair work on Jimmy over the lunch break.

edit 2 - lmao at Broad pointlessly taking his boot off to try and waste time before lunch!

Yeah, Broad is such a heel (no pun intended), glad they went for another over anyway. He is bowling well though. What a game this is. Although I always like to see Australia lose any kind of sport, i'd like them to win this for the sake of the series and to put one in the eye of everyone who predicted England basically just turning up and collecting the ashes.

Australia have been great here. Real fighting spirit. I wouldn't begrudge them the win either.

And hey, you know the great thing about this? We start all over again on Thursday :)

It really has been a truly great test match. The Aussies would certainly deserve it if they hold on. I worry about the momentum shift this would give em and how deflated England would be. There is obviously not the gap between both sides that a lot observers thought.

Australia are due a bit of karma from the many times we've squeaked home by the skins of our teeth over the years I reckon.

Got to love this sport. After over 4 days and with only one wicket or 20 runs needed, everyone takes a break for tea and sandwiches :)