rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kiroquai

Cricket Lovely Cricket - The Ashes 2013 (Series 1, England - 3-0)

Yeah the averages particularly at the top of the order recently have been good. Even during the one dayers there were plenty of decent innings. Pitch seems to have a lot more in it than was expected, and there have been some poor shots. Bell needs to step up here.

There was definitely some dodgy batting in NZ. Also some fine batting to rescue it, but we didn't draw that series by the skin of our teeth because the bowlers were struggling. Every innings seems to have at least a couple of men doing well but a lot of wickets given away too. If the Aussies were better I think we'd be punished, but I don't think it'll happen here. (I certainly think India would do rather better in a repeat series now, they've improved and we've yet to play as well IMO)

"A couple doing well but most getting out" describes most Test innings though, doesn't it? It's the nature of the game that most of the time you get out for not that many. It's whether it's a persistent problem with specific batsmen not getting runs that matters. With Cook and Trott this is not a persistent problem at all.

Cook, Bell and Pietersen had poor series in NZ and there was a sense of complacency about them, I agree. But Prior and Trott went well, and then Cook played well in the home series. Bell is the one who has much to prove - hopefully he will go someway today.

I do agree that if Australia had bowled better we would be in more trouble, but that's more to do with the conditions this morning rather than any particularly lax play, as without some silly shots we could be in a much stronger position.

I dunno, it just seems like since India so many of the English wickets are down to loose shots getting out. Does that make sense? As opposed to getting beaten by a really good ball, or succumbing after a long hard innings of many hours. Or even just luck. And so many of them getting starts but not going on to anything significant. I'm being pessimistic or harsh I know, it's just that in India they weren't doing that nearly as much, and in wondering why I end up questioning concentration etc.

As for Australia, I more mean that they won't be able to bat well enough to punish England, and our bowlers should be less generous too. But yeah, we should be at this score with only a couple down really. But things are going well for Bell and Bairstow at the moment so we shall see!

Also - oi! Dubious use of quote marks there!

No I think I probably agree and have those instincts. I always like having stats to back these things up though!

With today it's been a waste, especially given how clearly average their spinner is and how little movement there is now.

Prior gone too, England are probably going to need 100 from the tail here. Some shocking bowling from the Aussies, too many fours, but they are well on top here.

Thing is though, this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Series as a whole. If England had been 180-1 now it would be pretty much done as a contest in a day.

That much is true. I still kinda fear that by lunch tomorrow with most of the Australians back in the pavilion it could yet happen by another route. Probably not quite that bad though.

Maybe they decided we had to bowl under those clouds or else. Best be hoping I'm right about the Aussie batting, because I reckon I was about ours!

edit - spent two overs thinking I was wrong and then 19/2 lol

22/3 and Clarke out. Can I make any money out of this prediction stuff?

Well that was a crazy days play. I did think with England throwing their wickets away that the Aussies were gonna punish em but it doesn't look so bad as it did all out for 215. Got to hope Broad is ok to bowl tomorrow.

An intriguing first day and a good start for the series. Not entirely from an English perspective but exciting nonetheless.

Listened to the first 15 minutes or so in the car, streamed via Tune In Radio to my iPhone, driving home after the pub quiz. Technology has rarely made me so happy, even if I've just used my entire data allowance for the month.

Hard to say who's got the edge here. When I woke up this morning I was amazed at how little mention there was of Broad's injury in the press - everyone just seems to be assuming he'll be OK. Definitely glad we took Finn rather than Bresnan now.

Unless Agar manages something special in the second innings, then I suspect the Aussies have merely managed to demotivate Nathan Lyon, proving Lehmann may not have that much of a magical touch.

Assuming this pitch is going to take spin, who's England's first choice part-time spinner these days? Kevin used-to-be-a-bowler Pietersen, or Joe Michael-Vaughan-Reborn Root?

Well what a mental days cricket. Batting hasn't been either teams strong point. Trott was the only one who looked in good touch for England and Smith looks like he can either get a ton or throw the wicket away next ball.

The Aussie bowlers have looked competent (Agar aside) and have produced some beautiful deliveries. I think Pattinson and Starc were showing a bit of nerves and that accounted for their wayward balls. Siddle was obviously the pick of the Aussies but I expect them all to up their game in the second innings.

Andersons ball to dismiss Clarke was one of the best I've seen, Siddles to Root wasn't bad either. But as someone said earlier it looks like it will come down to which teams batting lets them down least. I think Australia will surpass the 215, I don't think England will be quite as reckless in the 2nd innings, so the game could go either way at the minute. At least there's a contest!

Go on the green and gold!

Almost four! Australia gotta hope one of these guys beds in for a bit, they all seem capable of it.

oh, it is four now. Anderson's reversing it which is bad news for anyone at the other end of the pitch innit.

And a fifth. Man, I picked a good day to work at home so I can watch this.

OK, I wasn't quite spot on with my predictions, I don't think Australia are throwing many wickets away here. Anderson and Swann are pretty goddamn stellar in this mode.

Sky have added Strauss to the actual commentators now. At some point they've got to run out of room for all these ex-players! It's nice to get some insight from someone who was part of the team so recently, even more so than Vaughan on TMS who's also pretty interesting.