IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Doubt anyone comes in, just means Elliot, Jones, Milner and Carvalho will play more than anticipated.

Mixture of disappointment and relief today; got away with a pretty disjointed performance, but also good to see Nunes come on and be effective. Wonder how much more Firmino has to offer, he was pretty anonymous today.

Well, that was shite. A foul on Henderson in the build up to their first, then the penalty was an awful decision, but we were lucky to get anything based on our performance. On the bright side, Nunez looked good, but that's all we can take from that. Trent, in particular, was terrible. 

5 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Well, that was shite. A foul on Henderson in the build up to their first, then the penalty was an awful decision, but we were lucky to get anything based on our performance. On the bright side, Nunez looked good, but that's all we can take from that. Trent, in particular, was terrible. 

Every season, without fail, the first week or two... Tresnt is called into question. He is just a slow starter, then he gets into his stride as he finds his range and BOOM!

Edit: Not aimed at you, but this will be the reaction over the media, socials, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

It was a penalty. Knees mate. Van Dick's knee hit Mitro's knee. It was a penalty. 

Point two, how far do you want to go back? 

I know this is the Liverpool thread but the bias in here is ridiculous. Perhaps stop being so entitled.

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

It was a penalty. Knees mate. Van Dick's knee hit Mitro's knee. It was a penalty. 

I know this is the Liverpool thread but the bias in here is ridiculous. Perhaps stop being so entitled.

Penalty was soft and I guarantee you another is not given with a player more wiped out than that. But as soon  as it was given, it was never being changed. 

No issues with their goal. The ref had let lots go and allowed the game to be physical up to that point, so not exactly against the the way the game was going. We should have done more to stop the cross before it happened. 

Just now, neoELITE said:

Refs have been asked not to blow up for every 50/50 this season and to allow more contact. The womens Euros were fantastic because of this. 

Yes I know, that's the point I was making. Possibly badly.

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Every season, without fail, the first week or two... Tresnt is called into question. He is just a slow starter, then he gets into his stride as he finds his range and BOOM!

Edit: Not aimed at you, but this will be the reaction over the media, socials, etc. 

I agree, the criticism of Trent is always overblown, and I'm normally the one speaking in his favour. He was bad today though.

11 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Lol, OK. Knees only made contact after Mitrovic decided to go down, but whatever. The foul on Henderson was only a minor gripe before then, but seeing what you can get a penalty for, I think it's fair to point out that the ref made a mistake in not giving it.

Anyway, we didn't deserve anything from the game, so that we got something from the only two blips from their defence feels a bit of a steal.

59 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Not talking about today (I haven't seen the incident) but there was a VAR review in the France/Germany semi-final games where they went back ages to check a foul, far longer than usual and I queried it at the time. Somebody replied it was the same passage of play, but it was a far longer than you would see in the PL and so stuck out as being unusual.

VAR was never going to be an exact science as it can be in other sports; there’s too many variables, and those variables are open to interpretation, so become prone to human error or unconscious bias*

Personally didn’t think there was any reason for Fulham’s first to be not given, was more annoyed at the piss-poor ‘defending’ by TAA than anything else.

I’d happily see VAR binned though, having initially being in favour of it. It’s not ironed out mistakes and was never going to, it’s just shifted the debate around inconsistencies.

*I don’t subscribe to tin foil hat theories about referee’s being corrupt, but there’s enough evidence to suggest bigger clubs get more favourable decisions, whether due to crowd pressure or the fact the referees are more likely to get called out when awarding decisions against big clubs.

52 minutes ago, SMD said:

It's the threshold where VAR can intervene that's the problem and that's on PGMOL

That's fair albeit I'm scratching my head at a threshold that would be consistent. A timed limit from before a goal is scored, say 30 seconds, is no good, because there can be quick counters from corners, so if a goal is scored after 12 seconds from a corner, does the check then look at the 18 seconds of play that led to the corner, which itself may have been interrupted? Same is applicable to a goal scored from a free-kick, corner, penalty. Although we could get a situation where a penalty is scored, the play beforehand is reviewed and an overlooked foul in the opposition box is noticed, resulting in the penalty being scratched off and one awarded to the other team, which would be fun.

The threshold could be simplified to be simply from the last time the ball is dead to the goal is scored, but that could still vary wildly. And also still be undermined by the inconsistencies applied by a given referee. If they don't see/award a foul, will VAR contest the oversight as a clear and obvious error? Again, that'll be open to interpretation by the VAR ref (hearing today's was a Stuart Atwell did trigger a sinking feeling)

I feel like you're being guilty of the same flaw that PGMOL have exacerbated - the idea that any kind of interference with the referee is taking their decision making away. Just let the VAR call the ref to the screen when they miss something, this obsession with 'clear and obvious' and 'not rerefereeing the game' is absurd since no one would accuse the assistant referee of doing that when they raise their flag.

Tell me what the difference would be if the assistant ref raised their flag for the foul or the VAR had a quick look and told the ref its a free kick? Teams and fans just want consistency, Henderson made the same challenge afterwards and got pulled up for a foul. So is it a free kick or not?

The problem has never been VAR, it's just a tool like any other. The problem is the refs and the standards they're expected to follow.

The only current way for a decision to be overturned is if it’s deemed a clear and obvious error though, so that’s the context VAR will operate within.

I also don’t agree with ‘clear and obvious’ because that alone allows a vagueness, a mistake is a mistake and should be corrected. But vagueness is the inherent issue with a lot of football’s rules: many of them are open to interpretation, even when viewed, if not under a microscope, then on a VAR monitor. Show 10 referees an incident and I doubt there would be consensus between them.

Unfortunately, consistency is never ever going to happen. I’d like it as much as the next person, but unless officials are exact clones with an identical adherence to football’s laws then each one will have a different approach to the game. Even in your example with Henderson, the referee has viewed similar incidents and interpreted them differently during the same match. He’ll likely repeat that inconsistency throughout the season, as will his colleagues.

Agree about the standards. VAR was supposed to tidy things up a bit but if anything it’s just muddied the waters even more. Now instead of one referee with inconsistencies plus three officials, we’ve got two more at Stockley Park and none of them seem to be on the same page.

18 hours ago, SMD said:

I feel like you're being guilty of the same flaw that PGMOL have exacerbated - the idea that any kind of interference with the referee is taking their decision making away. Just let the VAR call the ref to the screen when they miss something, this obsession with 'clear and obvious' and 'not rerefereeing the game' is absurd since no one would accuse the assistant referee of doing that when they raise their flag.

Tell me what the difference would be if the assistant ref raised their flag for the foul or the VAR had a quick look and told the ref its a free kick? Teams and fans just want consistency, Henderson made the same challenge afterwards and got pulled up for a foul. So is it a free kick or not?

The problem has never been VAR, it's just a tool like any other. The problem is the refs and the standards they're expected to follow.

Case in point, the McTominay challenge in the Brighton game

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Case in point, the McTominay challenge in the Brighton game

Why are Liverpool fans obsessed with Man Utd?

It's weird. 

You should be obsessed with the other Mancunian team surely. 

It wasn't that bad, just a little late.

9 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

It's weird. 

Eh? I've got all the games on telly, keeping an eye for FPL. I also watched Spurs - Southampton and Everton - Chelsea, does that make me obsessed with everyone else too?

17 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

It's weird. 

Because they beat us in the Bangkok centenery cup, still getting over it now, City are just title rivals 

22 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

It's weird. 

The irony of you writing about obsession in the Liverpool thread is just 🤦‍♂️

After yesterday's draw I wasn't looking forward to work tomorrow and seeing a couple of United supporting guys that have been boasting about the preseason and new manager. 

Now I can't wait.

Should have been down to ten men

Brighton should have had a penalty 

United trying to resort to Mr Own Goal to save them. 

Lovely 

#Obsessed 

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Why would Liverpool fans be obsessed or interested in their biggest rivals in the history of the club. Is that really a serious question? 😂

And yes it is a bigger rivalry than Everton.

Given your midfield, you might want to be looking further to home. Tranmere and Southport have a better central four. 

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Given your midfield, you might want to be looking further to home. Tranmere and Southport have a better central four. 

Mate you lost your hair young and now you’re losing your marbles young. Sounds like Liverpool drawing yesterday gave you more excitement than your wife has in years! 

This season is going to be really competitive for second place, as we have the now traditional 'watch all the teams around us buying plenty of new players and we've not really strengthened the squad' summer window.

As the squad continues to age, I'm not sure how much more this team can give every week and I do still feel there's a lack of high-quality depth in midfield, and it's not fair to put expectations on the likes of Elliott, Jones and Carvalho.

Mind you, I'm currently in one of my 'don't really care much about football' phases, so perhaps I can enjoy this season without being bothered what happens.

Tickets for the Derby are on general at one pm today. Looks like 202 and 203 are locked out. So going to try for 102/103 do Edith can be closer to the pitch.