IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Yeah, think Salah is in his final year. It’s a shame we’ll get nothing for him but like Mane, can’t really blame him if he wants to seek a new challenge (cough, earn silly money elsewhere cough)

Just woke up to read the news about Nunez.  I do like how we don't take too long these days to make our mind up and go for it.  He certainly looked great against us in the Champions League, although I didn't like how easily he went down under challenges.

Mane going will be a big shame though, he's been one of my favourite players over the last few years.  He's never come across as a player who would go for money though so I do find the Bayern link still very confusing, as there is no challenge at that club.

I've still got a sneaking feeling Liverpool will resolve the Salah issue, he looks like a player that could go on until he's 35 at least, so signing him up for a long contract doesn't have the risks it used to have when players hit 30.

12 hours ago, glb said:

Darwin Nunez medical tomorrow :)

Wonder if he’ll go new shirt and jeans, with a scarf combo for the announcement photo?

Full kit 

Is he a good signing then? I know nothing about him and nothing in his numbers (club or country goals) makes me do a double-take, but I presume he has the type of attributes Klopp wants. We he change the way we play? I saw a click bait article (that I didn't read) suggesting Klopp may change formation, reckon there's anything in that? 

There have been rumblings Klopp might switch to four ‘forwards’, which we have done on a occasion in the past.

The high defensive line would work with this but would be reliant on Thiago being fit all season because no one in the squad retains/recycles possession like him.

If we're not going to get a contract extension from Salah I reckon we try to offload him this summer for some money rather than losing him for nothing next. Nunez might be able to settle better without Salah trying to hog all the limelight. Nunez, Diaz, Jota and Firmino should be enough. With Carvalho, Minamino and Elliott as back-ups hopefully. 

Now just get Bellingham in too. 

4 hours ago, Azrael said:

If we're not going to get a contract extension from Salah I reckon we try to offload him this summer for some money rather than losing him for nothing next. Nunez might be able to settle better without Salah trying to hog all the limelight. Nunez, Diaz, Jota and Firmino should be enough. With Carvalho, Minamino and Elliott as back-ups hopefully. 

Now just get Bellingham in too. 

Nah, you keep the player with top-tier PL experience and blood the newbie in. They won't all settle as quickly as Diaz, and Jota's form fell off a cliff (as did Salah's, to be fair) in the latter parts of the season - options are good. 

And besides, it's not as if the fans benefit from any money, why should we care if he leaves on a free or not if we get a great final season from him? 

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins

6 Premier League games in April, including away to Man City and home games against Spurs and Arsenal. Gonna be tough.

Man United in March as per usual. 

Also seems we've had a bid accepted for Aberdeen's Calvin Ramsay. Hopefully means Trent will stop being as inconsistent if he has good competition. And means Neco can be sold i assume. 

Apparently Ramsay has a lot of promise, sounds right up our street.

Williams and Phillips are likely out for regular football. I like Nat but he's never going to get games without another injury crisis and Williams needs minutes at his age. Hope we can get at least one midfielder who can play the DM role.

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

We've made the real big signing now! 

The Wallasey Ineista!

Quadruple is nailed on next season. Not even in doubt.

With the Mane deal now official, I'm a little annoyed he never gave his 'Special announcement'. Perhaps there never was one and it was just to force the club's hand, but it has irrationally annoyed me.

Can only wish him the best though, been a huge part of the success we've had.

Im not just saying it because he left but I think he was much better from his debut in 2016 to the first half of 19/20, not been as good in the '20s' although he was great for a few months after Afcon this season.  Good luck to him if course all time great.

Yeah Mane can leave with his head held very high, been a great player for the club. Will miss that million dollar smile, hopefully we get Bayern in Europe at some point for a reunion.

Aye no qualms with him leaving and wish him all the best, loved his time with us and will definitely miss him but no hard feelings and optimistic the players we have mean it'll not be a huge loss. 

Also means we’re very much seeing Klopp’s Liverpool 2.0 team now. Very few managers make one great side let alone two, so will be interesting to see if we maintain levels of recent years.

Pep will extend at Man City next summer, won’t he? Guess he’s in a similar position as Haaland’s arrival will demand they change style somewhat and refresh key areas of the side. Not expecting Liverpool and Man City’s form to fall away dramatically but with the disruption of the World Cup the door is perhaps ajar for someone else to join the title race.

Saying that, Salah and Haaland both get a mid-season break, so maybe not.

Deal agreed for Minamino then.

Shame it never worked out for him, like Shaqiri he just was never going to get enough regular games to build up enough form to then challenge for a regular starting place, I don't think it helps he never really had a dedicated position either.

Yep clear he wasn’t going to make it as a first teamer and he’s 27 so not like he’s that young. Think his minutes will be replaced by Elliot/Carvalho/Gordon which really is a better investment for the future of the team.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread