IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

No real bad feelings about today, the team were never top of the table at any point and if anyone would have suggested this kind of season after the last I'd have thought they were high on something very strong.

You really have to laugh at some people saying shit like "you won as many titles as Everton", like the season for each club were even comparable just because neither team won the league. Imagine boiling it all down to that as some kind of "gotcha" 😂

Eh, that's a lot of football discussion on social media/the internet these days. Just gotta enjoy your team and filter out the bullshit.

We gave it a good go, sadly left too much to ask for on the last day. Can't be at all upset with a cup double, possibly a treble on the cards.

I think you've just gotta take people being happy City won as a weird kinda compliment.

It shows how relevant you are as a club. Sure we're (United) an absolute joke at the moment but you've always been our biggest rivals. Having fans of other clubs actively hate you is a sign of being a big, proper club.

If you'd won the league, nobody would be hating on City really. Nobody cares about them. Joke of a club.  It kinda hurts as a United fan seeing the way you lot play and the success you've been having. If it'd been City winning everything they enter, I wouldn't really care as they're plastic shit 

For a lot of fans it's the lesser of two evils in a way, when it comes to footballing tribalism. There's been times I've watched some of your games and it's the best football I've seen by an English side since our mid to late 00's side.

And that's the last time I'll come in here and compliment yas. You gave it the best ya could, fair play.

15 hours ago, Adrock said:

No real bad feelings about today, the team were never top of the table at any point and if anyone would have suggested this kind of season after the last I'd have thought they were high on something very strong.

I'm guessing its a good thing you were never winning against Wolves when it mattered as while the hope/stress must of intensified massively when Villa went 2-0 up - you never have to think you threw it away on the day.

I can't imagine what a nightmare it would have been if Man City never got their 3rd goal, but you failed to get a winner and lost out.

22 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

I can't imagine what a nightmare it would have been if Man City never got their 3rd goal, but you failed to get a winner and lost out.

That was my biggest fear during the game; blowing a chance like that would have left a massive hangover. One saving grace of both title near-misses under Klopp, is that both times there wasn’t really much more the side could have done, and he’s built on that. We were never on top yesterday, so all the emotion is one of what might have been, which has been the case for most of the last few weeks.

We can point to certain results, but there’s no side that will ever win every game. Spurs the other week was disappointing but came off the back of reaching a European Cup final, so can’t really feel aggrieved (plus they took six points off City). To lose twice all season, including going unbeaten at home in the league, finishing with 92 points as well as reaching three finals, that’s unprecedented. I’m sure most other clubs would swap places.

Well done to City, but they should walk the league every season. That they haven’t won the last five titles and turned the Premier League into a procession is testament to Klopp; we’re lucky to have him for a few more years.

To get an idea of just how good this season has been... United fans are bleating on about 'real' trebles and Everton fans are claiming we had the same season they did by not winning the title :lol: 

Social media has been hilarious.

9 minutes ago, glb said:

That was my biggest fear during the game; blowing a chance like that would have left a massive hangover. One saving grace of both title near-misses under Klopp, is that both times there wasn’t really much more the side could have done, and he’s built on that. We were never on top yesterday, so all the emotion is one of what might have been, which has been the case for most of the last few weeks.

We can point to certain results, but there’s no side that will ever win every game. Spurs the other week was disappointing but came off the back of reaching a European Cup final, so can’t really feel aggrieved (plus they took six points off City). To lose twice all season, including going unbeaten at home in the league, finishing with 92 points as well as reaching three finals, that’s unprecedented. I’m sure most other clubs would swap places.

Well done to City, but they should walk the league every season. That they haven’t won the last five titles and turned the Premier League into a procession is testament to Klopp; we’re lucky to have him for a few more years.

4 out of 5 is still pretty much a procession though, it's only in Europe they underperformed. 

Whilst you're right about looking at individual results, I will mention again that we drew all 6 games versus the other teams in the top 4, and I so think that was a problem.

We can point to the Brentford or Brighton results, but I do firmly believe that taking points off your rivals has a bigger impact because of the direct points-swing you get from those big matches and the confidence is gives the team.

I think is illustrated directly by Tottenham taking 6 points from City, which also will have given them less fear than usual when they came to Anfield. Equally, had Chelsea taken anything from City (or we had won one of those 6 games), we would be here today celebrating title number 20.

I'm a little bit sore about it this morning (seeing all the pictures over the news of City celebrating is great fun), but even so I'm still not sad about the season we've had, because it really has been incredible regardless of what happens at the weekend.

It does feel like a key Summer transfer window is coming up though - keeping Salah & Mane, even if it is for just one more season, is important.

We also need to start succession planning for Henderson, a bit of competition for Trent (to keep him on his toes) and I wouldn't say no to cover for Fabinho either.

Obviously with Haaland we expect City to win everything now, but let's keep nipping at them and see what happens, eh? 

Haaland will spend half a season on the treatment table next season, with niggles after a good run. Like Thiago's first season with us. 

Either that, or he'll score 150 goals in 38 games playing the full 90 in each.

It will be interesting to see how Pep works the team around him - he's obviously a goalscorer, but I don't know how much he gets involved in linking play or his work rate off the ball. 

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

4 out of 5 is still pretty much a procession though, it's only in Europe they underperformed. 

Whilst you're right about looking at individual results, I will mention again that we drew all 6 games versus the other teams in the top 4, and I so think that was a problem.

We can point to the Brentford or Brighton results, but I do firmly believe that taking points off your rivals has a bigger impact because of the direct points-swing you get from those big matches and the confidence is gives the team.

I think is illustrated directly by Tottenham taking 6 points from City, which also will have given them less fear than usual when they came to Anfield. Equally, had Chelsea taken anything from City (or we had won one of those 6 games), we would be here today celebrating title number 20.

I'm a little bit sore about it this morning (seeing all the pictures over the news of City celebrating is great fun), but even so I'm still not sad about the season we've had, because it really has been incredible regardless of what happens at the weekend.

It does feel like a key Summer transfer window is coming up though - keeping Salah & Mane, even if it is for just one more season, is important.

We also need to start succession planning for Henderson, a bit of competition for Trent (to keep him on his toes) and I wouldn't say no to cover for Fabinho either.

Obviously with Haaland we expect City to win everything now, but let's keep nipping at them and see what happens, eh? 

Two of those four titles have been won by a point. It’s not been a procession.

Think the key to a title win in this era is winning as close to 30 games per season. Back in the day Man United won a title while being ‘bottom’ of the top 6 table; they were just imperious against everyone else. Runners-up with 97 and now 92 points is frankly ludicrous, almost bafflingly so.

I do understand analysing individual results, and do it myself in my head when falling asleep at night, but had we beaten Spurs, would City have subsequently drawn with West Ham the following weekend? There are so many variables in football that it’s impossible to say. Similarly, had we been leading when Villa were 2-0 up, would the extra stress have affected City and would their game have panned out differently?

Don’t see us doing much more business this summer what with Diaz signing early in January (thank goodness he did), but agree cover for Fabinho would be welcome (Tchouaméni is being linked, we’ll see) At least Carvalho is done now, and hopefully any others are resolved quickly and ready for a full pre-season.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Haaland will spend half a season on the treatment table next season, with niggles after a good run. Like Thiago's first season with us. 

Either that, or he'll score 150 goals in 38 games playing the full 90 in each.

I do find it slightly strange there was little to no competition for his signature. Maybe Real were so sure they’d sign Mbappe they stepped aside. Nice problem for Pep to have fitting him in I suppose!

As a Spurs fan be assured that I was disappointed City won the league. Liverpool have at least built their team organically, with a largely sensible transfer/scouting policy of selling high, using the money wisely in the right areas, and speculating on players like Robertson. The amount of money City have spent, it’s to the Liverpool team’s credit that they’ve dragged it to within a point twice, and won it once, in the last 5 years.

There seems to be a common theme amongst social media posts about Liverpool along the lines of:

20 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Everton and Liverpool both achieved the exact same thing. Not winning the league. 

Clearly the straws are just out of reach, no matter how hard they try.

Even if you ignore the two domestic cups and a potential Champions League trophy and the extra prize money from league placement and the CL spot next season... Finishing second by a single point, reaching three finals and constantly being on the back pages for all the right reasons means a shit load more sponsorship money and decent players are more likely to want to sign for us.

"Ha, you didn't win, you're just as shit as us!" is unbelievably, willfully blinkered.

We've had a fantastic season and fantastic seasons lead on to further development and a much better chance of further fantastic seasons. And our fantastic season isn't even over yet. Which is fantastic.

In bits already.

Heart says Liverpool, head says Madrid.

Just leave it all out there lads and have no regrets, please.

Happy Champions League final day everyone. I hope we all get the result we are after. I’m in Crete so will be watching with a small group here, I’m nervous but so excited. I just hope the injuries are all behind us and Mo and the rest of the team get their revenge on the dark arts 5 years ago. I think if we take our chances, we win, but never underestimate that Real are never beaten until that final whistle blows. I couldn’t be more proud of this team and everyone who posts in this thread. What an amazing ride we’ve all been on this season. Up the fucking reds!

Can tonight's game be watched through the BT Sport app if don't have BTSports subscription? I cancelled mine after going fully IPTV but will be at my girlfriend's tonight (lucky her) so don't have my firestick. Know she has the BTSport app on her TV from when I was subscribed. 

Fans spot the BT crew.

Stevie - gets a song obviously 

Rio - gets attention with Manchester is full of shit. 

Owen - No one cares :lol:

15 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Oh that's handy, I don't trust YouTube not to buffer constantly

I’ve watched the last few finals via BT on YouTube and they’ve been perfect.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread