Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Yeah got a bit one note and desperate there, Trent's deliveries weren't amounting to much. Damn it.

Incredible effort to catch up to city and have people even talking about a quadruple though. Having to "settle" for 2nd place and a possible treble isn't the end of the world. 

I'll rule out when maths tells me it's possible, not before. Even if we don't win the quad, this is still the best LFC I've ever seen. Even if we win nothing else this season.

There’s no shame in only drawing against Spurs who have beaten City twice this season. The title has gone but still two trophies to play for.

I think City might have been feeling the pressure and would have slipped up somewhere along the way, but that's gone now. An incredible effort to get back into it, but if we don't win it now, it's not this result that's done for us, it was all the dropped points in the middle part of the season.

Just now, CheekyLee said:

I'll rule out when maths tells me it's possible, not before. Even if we don't win the quad, this is still the best LFC I've ever seen. Even if we win nothing else this season.

Yep, they're fucking spectacular. Through most of my Liverpool supporting life I didn't think I'd see us back at the top like this contesting every trophy and challenging for the league. It's a joy to behold. If the disappointment is that we might not win a quadruple this year we are living in blessed times. 

Excellent away performance by Spurs, happy with the draw considering we struggled to create too many out-and-out chances.

If only Trent wasn't on his heels for that cross by Thiago. 😕

Thought Pool were lucky today to get a point.  

Yes they had most of the possession, but did very little with it.  Apart from the deflected goal, and the Lloris save down to his left, I can’t remember a Liverpool shot on target.  We did defend well though (for a change). 

Glad we turned up because it could have been a cricket score.  I’m sure we will enjoy the point more than you guy though. 

2 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I think City might have been feeling the pressure and would have slipped up somewhere along the way, but that's gone now. An incredible effort to get back into it, but if we don't win it now, it's not this result that's done for us, it was all the dropped points in the middle part of the season.

It's the draws vs Tottenham, Chelsea (especially at Anfield) and City that have done the damage. 

That said, whilst I do think this takes any pressure off City now (and voids any CL hangover they may have had), stranger things have happened.

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It's the draws vs Tottenham, Chelsea (especially at Anfield) and City that have done the damage. 

Nah, it's the Brentford and Brighton ones, you go into every season expecting to potentially lose points against the above teams.

1 hour ago, ilpostino said:

If only Trent wasn't on his heels for that cross by Thiago. 😕

I thought that both full backs were really poor today and that's obviously a huge part of our game. Trent not being sharp enough to get on the end of Thiago's pass was symptomatic of his entire evening really.

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Nah, it's the Brentford and Brighton ones, you go into every season expecting to potentially lose points against the above teams.

True, but you need to take points from your rivals too and we haven't done that, which can make a disproportionate difference to points as well as mentality.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

True, but you need to take points from your rivals too and we haven't done that, which can make a disproportionate difference to points as well as mentality.

We took the same points of them as they did us.

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

That's true, but at the same time, they also drop points against us so it's a stalemate. Drawing two games against City is something you can justify. Drawing a game 3-3 to Brentford isn't.

Shows the standards being set that we can't accept a freak result like the one against Brentford. Our biggest sin was the loss to Leicester that just had the air of inevitability about it. 

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

We took the same points of them as they did us.

That's missing the point though. You have to almost assume City are going to steamroll most of the league, so when it comes to playing them we have to make it a count - a draw isn't a bad thing for them, but more costly to us. 

Yes, we can point to Brentford, Brighton or Leicester games - and City will drop points too - but even with those, had we beaten Chelsea (vs 10 men) or City at home then we'd be in the driving seat.

Purely for my curiosity I'd be interested to see what the record vs the top 6 has been for previous PL champions.

You're right about the standards being set by both teams though, it's incredible.

I'm not even disappointed about potentially not winning the league (or doing the quad) because we weren't even in the fight for a long time, so it would very much be a bonus rather than expectation. 

The single most painful result of the season was at Tottenham Stadium, in my opinion. Kane should have been sent off, and how Jota didn't get a penalty remains beyond me. Those 2 points win us the league.