Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Either I'm more naturally positive than everyone else, or just don't see things the same. But I think we were the better team in that half. Havertz never meant that, he was playing for the far post and it just dropped beautifully.  It was their only shot on target, whereas we wasted a couple of openings.

We just need more of the same, now. We simply need to make having the extra man pay, as any of our forwards can benefit. Bring on Thiago for Henderson and see some punishming passing!

Bit shit that, but at least we didn't lose and maybe it'll get the board thinking about making  signing or two before deadline day.

Watching Chelsea and their thousands of defensive players time-wasting for 60 odd mins sure is a shite way to spend an afternoon 

So that felt like a lot of last season where the team huffed and puffed but you never really felt they were going to score (or even really create an awful lot to test Mendy.) Definitely felt like 2 points dropped.

Chelsea defended for their lives like it was a cup final and fair play to them.  They are a top quality team and even though down to 10 they were never going to be walk overs.  We didn't do quite enough to win it but still unbeaten so happy with that 

One thing I did notice, Jorginho is absolute boss-level at winning a free kick.  I think he puts Grealish to shame.

Chelsea defended well but we really did not create many clear cut chances. Happy to get the point but can't help feeling we should have taken all 3.

5 hours ago, gospvg said:

Chelsea defended well but we really did not create many clear cut chances. Happy to get the point but can't help feeling we should have taken all 3.

Aye, Mendy didn't really have anything to do and it's a shame that there was no real plan other than - like a lot last season - aimlessly trying to throw balls into the box. 

The plus sides are that Elliott is getting top-level experience, Matip was solid (apart from being rolled once by Mount who should've scored), VVD has another 90 minutes in his legs and Firmino looked good until he went off. Mane looked busy too, far better than last season.

Once those final balls and cute little passes around the box start clicking then we should see good things happen.

I know it is the Liverpool way these days, but another transfer deadline day is drifting away with absolutely nothing of interest happening.

Yes, Henderson signing a new contract is good and all, but I still believe the squad needs a bit of competition, especially up front and to have adequate replacements for when we lose players in January/February for the Africa Cup of Nations.

I also appreciate that Elliott getting games is a very good thing, as will Jones throughout the season no doubt, but I don't know, sometimes a change really is as good as a rest. 

Have to agree we need some better creative options in midfield/attack for when we cannot break down teams like 2nd half Chelsea but alas FSG seem reluctant to improve the squad and even though our starting eleven is very good we will get injuries/players away. Frustrating seeing the teams around us strengthen whilst we rely on youngsters like Elliott.

It's just a bit sad that a lot of premier league clubs have been making various moves (including some obviously big players that will make an impact) and we're sat 'celebrating' that Henderson signed an extension and only have a joke link with Suarez doing the rounds.

I know we got Konate early, great, but that only really addresses a worst-case scenario of all other defenders being out long-term again (which surely can't happen two seasons in a row :unsure:) - it doesn't help with a plan b when we struggle to break teams down as we saw lots last season and on Saturday.

Yeah, a defender who hasn’t started yet, and might not should a miracle happen and Matip stays fit, isn’t particularly inspiring. 

You can argue that we don’t need anyone else for a first team if you like but the quality in depth is thin and while Elliott has looked decent as another midfielder it would have been nice to add some spark somewhere. 

The pragmatism does make sense in the long term but it’s pretty boring for the fans. Look at all the fun Man Utd fans are having this season, even if it doesn’t all work out, a little bit of pizazz around the club goes a long way. 

Still a few hours to go I suppose. 

Elliott getting matches is great, but treatment of youngsters is a balancing act and I wouldn't want his development to be hurt by having to play 20+ games because we have no other creative options in midfield. 

Likewise, would Mane/Firmino have played as many games last season had Jota not been injured and/or we had a genuine alternatives within the squad? I suspect not and who knows, it could've turned that barren run of games without goals into positives results and a better title defence/success in Europe. 

I know this is neither new nor anything other than shouting at clouds, but we have nothing else to talk about in here :lol:

I don't understand the Henderson deal.  He still had 2 years to run until he's 33 and we've signed him up to 4 years until he's 35 when we've no idea what his drop off will be like.  A lot of players drop off in their early 30s and to me this seems like a gamble offering a contract like this.

It's not like he's Messi or Ronaldo and he brings massive marketing deals unless head and shoulders or nivea are planning on splashing the big bucks only if Henderson fronts the deals.  

The money should have went elsewhere in my opinion. 

Just seen that Nat Phillips has signed a new long term deal as well, which actually surprises me as I thought he might be off but I’m really pleased we still have him after his efforts last season.

27 minutes ago, tenrou said:

I don't understand the Henderson deal.  He still had 2 years to run until he's 33 and we've signed him up to 4 years until he's 35 when we've no idea what his drop off will be like.  A lot of players drop off in their early 30s and to me this seems like a gamble offering a contract like this.

It's not like he's Messi or Ronaldo and he brings massive marketing deals unless head and shoulders or nivea are planning on splashing the big bucks only if Henderson fronts the deals.  

The money should have went elsewhere in my opinion. 

Could it be because he has got the team spirit the best it has been in decades and no-one has ever said a bad word about him at all? Give him whatever he wants after the hoodoo he has broken. 

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

I know it is the Liverpool way these days, but another transfer deadline day is drifting away with absolutely nothing of interest happening.

Yes, Henderson signing a new contract is good and all, but I still believe the squad needs a bit of competition, especially up front and to have adequate replacements for when we lose players in January/February for the Africa Cup of Nations.

I also appreciate that Elliott getting games is a very good thing, as will Jones throughout the season no doubt, but I don't know, sometimes a change really is as good as a rest. 

I was reading something earlier about how Liverpool could get someone in upfront that is willing to be 5th choice.... Basically they can't.  Not someone with enough quality anyhow.  It's not like we will pay £200k a week to a bench warmer.

Would they have to be 5th choice though?  Liverpool have given first team places to an under 20 in the last 3 seasons in TAA, Jones and Elliot.  Firmino and Mane in particular could do with some competition to kick them up the backside.  I would have spent money on a younger decent sized attacker.  However I don't think they're going to be ringing for my advice any time soon though :).

1. Salah

2. Mane

3. Bobby

4. Jota

5. Origi.

Now Origi isn't good enough, we all know that but unless you are going to find a 19 year old from no where (Any suggestions?) who is better than any of the other young strikers we've had, it's going to be hard to persuade someone worthwhile to come. That first 4 isn't going to be shifted unless you brought in someone on big money.  Then you've got the problem of having one of them sat on the bench more often than not.  I don't think Liverpool's business model is like City's or Chelsea's where they can pay big for squad players.

We'll just have to see how the season goes and judge then I suppose.

2 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

I was reading something earlier about how Liverpool could get someone in upfront that is willing to be 5th choice.... Basically they can't.  Not someone with enough quality anyhow.  It's not like we will pay £200k a week to a bench warmer.

But that's my point - for large parts of last season Mane and Firmino weren't good enough and horribly out of form, but because we don't have any options from the bench they continued to play and contributed nothing. If we got somebody good enough, they would get regular games and rotated, just like Jota is.