Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Hopefully it won't be a case of him leaving and we need a "5 year rebuilding programme" or some such shite.

I think when Mbappe comes in next year ( ;) yeah, right!) we'll see more youngsters coming through.

Super Cup and Club World Cup winner Andy Lonergan had signed for Everton as third choice keeper. The first former Liverpool player to move there since Westerveld I think.

Elliott to start against Burnley this afternoon. Quite happy about that, at home in front of the returning fans.

Burnley will offer him continuity from the Championship experience he had last season.

1 minute ago, JamesTW said:

Joe Cole just said we’ll miss Salah & Mane for up to 7 games in AFCoN, I figure if Egypt & Senegal are both in the final they’ll only miss 2 league games (Brentford & Palace)

I thought this wasn’t meant to be a thing anymore - that they’d moved it or something. 

Been impressed with Tsimikas last week and this - looks like decent Robertson cover. 

Not sure this is the best game to start the fairly diminutive looking Elliott but see how it goes I suppose. His passes look like he’s 5. 

Keita's looked good so far, which is encouraging, but Burnley have done well to make us look sloppy at times. That second goal would have been huge, but I can see them sneaking an equaliser in the second half.

I'm all for "letting the game flow", but Mike Dean is much closer to "not doing his fucking job", here. I really hope it gets called out, Tarkowski and Barnes have basically shithoused their way through this game so far.

That was a dominant victory, very happy with all those boys that played today.  

Tsmikas deserves a mention as he was outstanding and played like he wants that left back role permanently.

Always hate playing Burnley, so happy with a clean sheet.

We were certainly comfortable and in control for a lot of it but Burnley did make it difficult and had some very good chances that they should have put away if it wasn't for some great work from Allison. A better/more clinical side will punish us if they get given the same opportunities that we let Wood, McNeil and (at the end) Rodriguez have. 

But thats not to say we weren't very good. TAA continues to be sublime, Tsmi is making it hard for Robbo to get his place back. Matip looks to have avoided injury for 2 games in a row and Keita - after a rusty start - looked capable of playing a part. Plus was good to see Elliott get the 90 mins and be involved with a lot of what was happening. Such a huge difference having VvD back too. 

Only saw the last 20 minutes, Tsimikas looked good but man, without a great save and block at the feet from Allison and an interception from VVD that could easily have been 2-2.

I know it's early season, but with Chelsea next we need to be tighter at the back. 

7 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Keita's looked good so far, which is encouraging

Its hard to get excited though because he's as durable as Weetabix, Matip is the same.  It was nice today though to have a stacked squad for once!

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

without a great save and block at the feet from Allison and an interception from VVD that could easily have been 2-2.

And without Mane shinning one over the bar and an amazing full-stretch block from [whichever Burnley defender that was] it could have been 4-0. You can't focus on "What if", you just look at "What happened" and the difference between this season and last is how we are looking more likely to score. Remember all that possession that led nowhere? Remember Mane seemingly forgetting how to play? Even just 2 matches in, it feels like we're going to score in every game. Not something we were able to say for a large chunk of last season.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

And without Mane shinning one over the bar and an amazing full-stretch block from [whichever Burnley defender that was] it could have been 4-0. You can't focus on "What if", you just look at "What happened" and the difference between this season and last is how we are looking more likely to score. Remember all that possession that led nowhere? Remember Mane seemingly forgetting how to play? Even just 2 matches in, it feels like we're going to score in every game. Not something we were able to say for a large chunk of last season.

Yes, I'm sure Klopp will say to his coaches not to worry about it because we could've scored more :rolleyes:

Norwich got in behind the defence too easily last week too and Klopp won't be happy about that privately, I'm sure and they will working on it, because Chelsea won't be so wasteful up front or generous at the back. 

Shaqiri's on the way out, £9.5 million to Lyon. If we're looking at Elliot exclusively as a midfielder for now, we might be a bit light up front now, but it does free up a spot for Mbappe, who is definitely, definitely signing for us.

Spoiler

Why is Mbappe signing for us even a thing?

41 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Shaqiri's on the way out, £9.5 million to Lyon. If we're looking at Elliot exclusively as a midfielder for now, we might be a bit light up front now, but it does free up a spot for Mbappe, who is definitely, definitely signing for us.

Hide contents

Why is Mbappe signing for us even a thing?

Because the Liverpool Echo and the like get clicks every time they mention it. 

Beyond the money involved, in wages alone if he was free, from what little I know of the guy he really doesn’t sound like Klopp’s kind of player. Stroppy prima donna who’s hung around with Neymar too long. 

I’d rather Sanches and Doku.