Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

So now the transfer merry-go-round will start, so let's play along: Who do you think is leaving, who do you think is coming in (and let's not get all Wenger here - VVD is not like having a new signing :P)?

3 minutes ago, sprite said:

We were without VVD, Henderson, Milner, Fabinho for a lot of it in various different mixtures.  Devastating - three are regular captains for a reason!

Not to mention losing Alisson for a spell!

3 minutes ago, sprite said:

We were without VVD, Henderson, Milner, Fabinho for a lot of it in various different mixtures.  Devastating - three are regular captains for a reason!

Matip, Gomez, Jota, Allison, Thiago, Keita... I’ve never known anything like it. The whole season has been one big injury crisis. And you can tell around the new year the last couple of years caught up with them what with the paper thin squad and patched up first 11’s, the team just burned out and every have felt like a grind. Even Klopp looked tired, powerless to change things and visibly fed up. A lot of personal issues to deal with too. 

To turn it around from the abyss, you just have to give it to them. Not the campaign anyone wanted but given the circumstances definitely a success. 

Out: 

- Gini :(

- Origi 

- Matip

- The defender we signed but never played

- Wilson 

- Grujic 

- Maybe one of Oxlade, Keita or Shaqiri 

And Kabak not to be signed, Rhys Williams to go out on loan maybe. 

In:

- New CB

- Mbappe

- Haaland 

- Aguero or Suarez

I think it’s indicative of how volatile and outright bizarre this season has been that we’ve had so many disasters this season and finished third. Can’t quite believe it, what a recovery. 

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

So now the transfer merry-go-round will start, so let's play along: Who do you think is leaving, who do you think is coming in (and let's not get all Wenger here - VVD is not like having a new signing :P)?

Gini is off, I think Keita will be gone too. Harvey Elliott is ready to step up but definitely would need someone to fill in too. 

A new centre back is a given, can’t see us signing Kabak and Klopp knows that Gomez and Matip are made of glass. I can’t see any new attackers unless one goes. I think if anyone would leave it would be Mane. 

For some reason it really annoys me that Liverpool finish 3rd and qualify for the champions league after a whole season of being rubbish. And the way all the players and fans are really happy about it, it's terrible, all that joy.

3 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

For some reason it really annoys me that Liverpool finished 3rd and qualify for the champions league after a whole season of being rubbish. And the way all the players and fans are really happy about it, it's terrible, all that joy.

We weren’t really rubbish for the whole season.  But an extended chunk in the middle for all the reasons above.  The squad was absolutely decimated, it was all downhill from when Pickford took out VVD.

I'm really sad about Wijnaldum, unless he specifically wanted to go (which he's never said) then not offering him a contract is madness.

Origi needs to go and be replaced, Shaqiri too. I think AOC will stay though, I think Klopp really wants to give him the chance to finally stake his claim on a starting place. Ben Davies will probably go on loan/both Neco and Rhys Williams too, Keita may or may not be sold.

Up front I think all three potentially may go; Firmino has had a very tough season, Mane has looked off the pace for most of it, Salah might want a change. All departures in this department will need replacing because Jota - whilst being very good - also seems to be a bit brittle.

Obviously a CB who isn't Kabak will come in, the press reported it was the young Leipzig chap didn't they? A good deputy 'keeper will need to be sourced as well, because Adrian isn't very good.

On paper then there's lots to address and I don't see that level of activity happening.

3 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

For some reason it really annoys me that Liverpool finish 3rd and qualify for the champions league after a whole season of being rubbish. And the way all the players and fans are really happy about it, it's terrible, all that joy.

Or Man Utd in a cup final for being rubbish getting spanked by Istanbul Beskthar (or whatever)and Red Bull Leipzig 😛

8 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Well they were top at Christmas, not sure how that happens if you are rubbish all season. And the past 10 games was 8 wins and 2 draws - best form in the league, I believe.

I'm not massively excited about it, either - I would've been okay not getting CL football knowing that it would've meant Leicester had qualified.

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm really sad about Wijnaldum, unless he specifically wanted to go (which he's never said) then not offering him a contract is madness.

Origi needs to go and be replaced, Shaqiri too. I think AOC will stay though, I think Klopp really wants to give him the chance to finally stake his claim on a starting place. Ben Davies will probably go on loan/both Neco and Rhys Williams too, Keita may or may not be sold.

Up front I think all three potentially may go; Firmino has had a very tough season, Mane has looked off the pace for most of it, Salah might want a change. All departures in this department will need replacing because Jota - whilst being very good - also seems to be a bit brittle.

Obviously a CB who isn't Kabak will come in, the press reported it was the young Leipzig chap didn't they? A good deputy 'keeper will need to be sourced as well, because Adrian isn't very good.

On paper then there's lots to address and I don't see that level of activity happening.

Kelleher’s still about isn’t he? He had some decent games around Christmas time.

I don't think the wijnaldum thing was no contract offered, more that he indicated 150-175k a week and that would put him 3rd in the wage stakes at 30 years old on a minimum 3 year deal.  That's big money for a player that's good but clearly not top 3 at the club plus it would be a stuck on deal.  I don't think the club felt that money was do-able.  I can understand both sides tbh.

Sod all this being happy if other teams finished above us. That's they're fault. After our injury woes and terrible run between Jan and Apr, I'm well happy with 3rd. Also we finished with less points between us and City than they did last year. So it wasn't the worst title defence ever either. 

Screenshot_20210523-184513_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.c91850b9cfb5c8db209ba68d92a003db.jpg

26 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I think it shows how rubbish the season has been quality wise.

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Well they were top at Christmas, not sure how that happens if you are rubbish all season. And the past 10 games was 8 wins and 2 draws - best form in the league, I believe.

I'm not massively excited about it, either - I would've been okay not getting CL football knowing that it would've meant Leicester had qualified.

Really? You'd have been happy your own club wouldnt play in the Champs League so little old Leicester would?:mad:

4 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

I think it shows how rubbish the season has been quality wise.

It does.  I’m not about to “blame covid” for our subparness - injuries are sufficient! - but I really think covid has played a huge part in how the season has gone on the whole, for all teams.  The players never really talked about the hardships much and i don’t know the ins and outs of their day to day situations, but like all of us being apart from loved ones and the extreme circumstances of life must have been really tough. Plus of course actually catching covid and recovering from it.  

The focus was always on the football so we didn’t see too much of that side.  Except of course with Alisson :( 

2 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Really? You'd have been happy your own club wouldnt play in the Champs League so little old Leicester would?:mad:

Happy? Not especially, no - okay though? As I said, yes. I still have a fair amount of disgust at the club for the super league debacle and, call it a form of pennance, to miss out on the CL would've felt fair enough.

I know that wasn't the fault of the players, of course, but the club as a whole still feels tarnished to me. 

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Happy? Not especially, no - okay though? As I said, yes. I still have a fair amount of disgust at the club for the super league debacle and, call it a form of pennance, to miss out on the CL would've felt fair enough.

I know that wasn't the fault of the players, of course, but the club as a whole still feels tarnished to me. 

Crazy.

I'm happy with 3rd, but unhappy that we finished below United. Injuries hurt us, but referees played their part as well. Some truly astonishing decisions and non-calls that absolutely derailed any chance we had of getting some momentum, which started even before the Everton game. 

Do people understand every club would have been up for the Super League if they had been invited? Let's not be naive, if you could secure European football every year, a business would be definitely saying 'yes' to it.

4 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Do people understand every club would have been up for the Super League if they had been invited? Let's not be naive, if you could secure European football every year, a business would be definitely saying 'yes' to it.

That's as maybe, but the fact is 'every other club' wasn't invited, so it's a pointless hypothetical. 

I don't expect many fans to care - I think most ignored it and have moved on, I don't judge them for that. But I haven't. I might over the summer and then next season I'll feel all is right again, we'll see. 

Great to finally have fans back in the stadium, we recovered well this season to finish 3rd. Need to recruit well in the summer to challenge for the title.