IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

13 hours ago, hmm said:

I'll find individual Man Utd losses - ones against us in particular, obviously - absolutely hilarious but it's hard to take much pleasure from the wider situation, to be honest, given how much it echoes our miserable years under H&G.

I'm not convinced it does though.  They nearly bankrupt us. The Glazers used Man U's own wealth to buy them, now pay it off through the club.  I don't know tons about it but it seems they aren't liked because they make money out of the club, like a business.  It's not like Man U don't spend 100s of millions each summer now is it?  That team they have, with a decent manager would be doing much better, then the moaning would stop.

14 hours ago, hmm said:

I'll find individual Man Utd losses - ones against us in particular, obviously - absolutely hilarious but it's hard to take much pleasure from the wider situation, to be honest, given how much it echoes our miserable years under H&G.

Anything bad happening to Man United is brilliant.

Defensively we've been exposed a lot this season - Klopp was talking about the chances we let Man Utd create and had Fernandes scored first last weekend the story could've been very different. It's not just that we've shipped a lot of goals, it's also the fact we've allowed teams to create a lot of good chances against us - something that didn't happen anywhere near as much in the title-winning season.

Brighton are a solid team these days, but even so you would expect us to beat them - especially being 2-0 up - it's poor points dropped at home. I know it's early days still but Chelsea going 3 points clear already looks quite ominous, not just because of their points, but they are defending like an old Mourinho side and so, so tight at the back and, importantly, they have full-backs that are basically doing what Robertson and TAA have been doing for us.

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Brighton are a solid team these days, but even so you would expect us to beat them - especially being 2-0 up - it's poor points dropped at home. I know it's early days still but Chelsea going 3 points clear already looks quite ominous, not just because of their points, but they are defending like an old Mourinho side and so, so tight at the back and, importantly, they have full-backs that are basically doing what Robertson and TAA have been doing for us.

The stats havent updated yet today but Chelsea have given up 10.0 xGA this season and Liverpool 9.5 xGA, thats likely to turn around a bit today but Chelsea have been running insanely hot this season.

Obviously they can get better but if they keep playing like they have been so far they wont be winning the league.

@ryodi Sorry, I'm incredibly old-school and dense, are you saying that Chelsea are giving up loads of chances, or scoring loads more than they should? Or both have conceded fewer than they would be expected to? I know the statisticians love all that xG type-gumpf, but I don't know what that's really meant to be telling us.

Just from the games I've watched of Liverpool this season though, they've been carved open (often by a simple ball through the middle) quite a lot and been conceding far, far too many goals but perhaps more of a concern is the number of times we've given up a lead: Today, obviously, vs Man City & Brentford (twice), let Atletico & Milan back in during games etc. Even in the league game at Norwich they had some really good chances that we got away with.

It's actually strange typing that because we've only conceded 8 league goals (only City and Chelsea have been breached fewer times), but they have looked much more solid, whereas I feel from scant memories of games I've watched (but this could be my memory playing tricks on me) that we've been bullied and undone a lot, especially by simple balls through the middle (didn't even Watford have some good chances at 0-0?)

Before last season I actually used to feel really comfortable watching us, because there was a solidity and you felt teams really had to work hard not just for goals, but good chances. Last season (for obvious reasons) and this season I've been far less comfortable, even to the point that last weekend (listening on the radio) at 3-0 up I still thought if Man Utd scored before half-time, with the crowd behind them...

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

@ryodi Sorry, I'm incredibly old-school and dense, are you saying that Chelsea are giving up loads of chances, or scoring loads more than they should? Or both have conceded fewer than they would be expected to? I know the statisticians love all that xG type-gumpf, but I don't know what that's really meant to be telling us.

I hadn't paid any attention to the stats it was more my recency bias remembering that they held on to beat Brentford when Liverpool failed to do the same. they are beating the teams they are supposed to  and the loss to Man City is the only points they have dropped without going down to ten men. 

Liverpool have definitely been giving up a lot more chances than we have in the past, especially the season that we won the league. It is definitely something we need to work on. I do agree with this.

However, my comments regarding Chelsea - they are somehow massively over performing in how many goals they have scored (26 goals from 18.7 xG) and in how many goals they are conceding (3 goals from 10.2 xGA).

I think it would not be fair to describe them as being very tight at the back this season - if anything they have had a worse problem than Liverpool in giving up chances it just hasnt ended up in them conceding many goals.

Obviously things can change going forward - often hot spells lead to confidence and teams just get better and better and that may well happen with Chelsea this year.

EDIT: Man City have been by far the tightest team in defence this season. They seem to have a habit of switching off and not getting results this season though, lets hope that continues!

Oops, sorry @rjpageuk, misattributed the quote to @ryodi instead of you. Thanks for explaining the stats - I haven't watched Chelsea this season so perhaps they are giving good chances away then, but since Tuchel came along they haven't conceded many and Mendy has been a big plus for them (I know Brentford ran them ragged in that match, and Mendy was the key there.)

It's not doom-and-gloom at all, because you would say Liverpool haven't really hit top-gear yet - even against Man Utd the commentary was referring to it more as 'professional' than dazzling. Like last season though, constant midfield changes isn't helping, and you have to wonder if Thiago is ever going to have a run of games and actually show why we bought him. There is better to come from the team, for sure, but results like today become all part of a 'what if' at the end of the season.

Disappointing result yesterday (OBVS!) but at least Lallana finally got a decent send-off.

He is spoken about as a pivotal member of the title-winning squad, apparently offering a lot of mentoring behind-the-scenes and generally being a model pro.