Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

Don't even deserve to nick a draw here. We've been shite. A run of 4 games over Xmas we should have been looking to take 12 points from, we've taken 5 and let other teams catch us up. 

Klopp can keep banging on about not needing any signings but he's starting 2 of our best midfielders as CBs and taking (albeit a poor) TAA off for a 35 year old.

Not good enough at all. 

The line up tonight was perplexing to say the least. Now Man U will go into the game against us with all the confidence in the world while we look like we've got literally fuck all left to give.  Glad we have a bit of a break now to get this shit show in order.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

United are going to beat us at Anfield aren't they?

I’m putting a fiver on them winning just to soften the blow.

Just now, glb said:

I’m putting a fiver on them winning just to soften the blow.

I've £25 on Liverpool winning for the same reason :lol:

(shorter odds on Liverpool)

That was dogshit. We were far superior in the 2nd half, but the facts are that we're not working their keepers hard enough.

That being said, we should have had at least 1 penalty. Nobody can convince me that Mane didn't get fouled once all night, that's something like the last 3 or 4 games where ref's have given him nothing at all.

We're still top, still the best team in the country, and still have much more to show before this season is through. Form is temporary!

3 minutes ago, tbb said:

I've £25 on Liverpool winning for the same reason :lol:

(shorter odds on Liverpool)

Hark at Captain Moneybags over here ;)

It’ll no doubt be a turgid 0-0 because it often is.

Be interesting to see how United play at Anfield. I can see them sitting back, let us knock it around in front of the penalty box then use Fernades to get Rashford in behind a couple of times to run out 2-0 winners.

Just now, Azrael said:

1-0 United. Fernades penalty. 

Dodgy penalty after the final whistle. Misses but he scores the retake after Allison is half a mil off his line.

6 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

That being said, we should have had at least 1 penalty. Nobody can convince me that Mane didn't get fouled once all night, that's something like the last 3 or 4 games where ref's have given him nothing at all.

Only the big clubs get penalties like that.

5 minutes ago, glb said:

Hark at Captain Moneybags over here ;)

It’ll no doubt be a turgid 0-0 because it often is.

I wasn't gonna put a fiver on just to win a fiver. I needed something worthwhile!

(Besides, I had free bets)

I'd be happy with 0-0 at Anfield.

So glad I didn't bother to watch that. The poor form is a concern, but worse is that Klopp doesn't appear to have any answers right now. We've been really lacking in attack across 4 out of the last 5 matches now (and Fulham, West Brom and Newcastle were all points in the bag on paper) and nothing has changed.

United will love to play on the counter against whatever makeshift defence we put out with the pace they have and, in Fernandes, they have an actual proper creative talent who can change matches. I'd actually take a draw right now just to protect that impressive home record! 

5 minutes ago, tbb said:

I wasn't gonna put a fiver on just to win a fiver. I needed something worthwhile!

(Besides, I had free bets)

I'd be happy with 0-0 at Anfield.

I know, I was actually going to delete my comment because it was childish even meant as a cheap joke.

Think if Man United show ambition you’ll have a field day. We’re on an awful run of form, and look fatigued. Nothing on the bench to change things either, or help from our support.

Yeah, Anfield without a crowd vs Man Utd is not going to help the team. They'll raise their game (like vs Tottenham) but I think they are going to end up short this time.

More importantly than anything, we were not enjoyable to watch tonight and the players didn't look like they were enjoying it either. Every time that there was an opportunity to up the pace in the final third, we slowed it down. We are a much better side when we are the ones injecting tempo in to the match. I really think the Villa loss is still fresh in the memory as we seem more concerned about slipping up defensively than creating chances.

At the end of a performance like this from Southampton it is normal to priase the keeper and the commentary team did...but that really wasn't the story of the match at all. We didn't create chances to test the keeper and in reality he had little to do today.

Think Jota’s injury will prove (is proving) far more damaging than Van Dijk’s. He was on such a run of form, versus Van Dijk who actually looked a little off-form before his injury.

Without Jota there’s no threat to the front three’s places at the minute. Firmino and Salah looked woeful tonight, but there was no danger of either coming off.

Thaigo had an off-night too, looking a little sloppy at times. But think that’ll be a blip given he’s world class and only played four times this season. He at least will offer more creativity from midfield but needs the front three to be firing to make the most of his vision.

Also, just because it doesn’t get said enough when ‘big’ sides lose, credit to Southampton. Liverpool were poor, but Saints also played well. So happy for them that they didn’t bin Hasenhuettl after the defeat against Leicester last season and wobbles afterwards.

Yeah, Saints controlled the game and never looked threatened despite us having so much of the ball. They kept us at arms length and the odd time we did breach they were ion position to block. Deserved that.

1 hour ago, glb said:

Think Jota’s injury will prove (is proving) far more damaging than Van Dijk’s. He was on such a run of form, versus Van Dijk who actually looked a little off-form before his injury.

I agree, I've been saying since football restarted in the Summer that Van Dijk looked off the pace and had more mistakes leading to goals in the remaining games of last season than the rest of his time with us put together. Losing Jota when he was on such a rich vein of form was a big blow and his creativity and spark could well have made a difference in these games.

Roll on the FA Cup!

8 hours ago, Azrael said:

1-0 United. Fernandes penalty. 

Fernandes will do the shit little jump-and-spring before shooting, accidentally kick his own calf and tumble over the ball. Liverpool will score from the counter. 

And we will win!