rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

2 hours ago, glb said:

Leicester, while huge underdogs, have the league’s best defence and no European (or Club World Cup) distractions.

Let's not get too caught up in how good this Leicester team are, though. This 8-match winning streak has consisted of the following victims:

Aston Villa
Watford
Everton
Brighton
Arsenal
Crystal Palace
Southampton
Burnley

The highest of those teams sits in 9th, and that's Crystal Palace. Arsenal are technically a "Big 6" team, but lately they've been a free win for whoever played them, and today they sit 11th. All the rest are bottom-half, and 3 of them are in the bottom 4. Sure, 8 wins is a great run, but I think you'll find that Liverpool beat all of those teams along the way, as well. The difference is that we also beat City, Newcastle, Wolves, and Chelsea.

Oh, and Leicester.

We did draw against United, but Leicester lost to them. I'm not saying to write Leicester off, but let's not make them the bogeyman just yet? City will smash them, and when we play them we may well have just won our 3rd trophy this season, which would also be our 4th consecutive one.

If we just match our results from last season, we win the lot. Leicester, meanwhile, will need to improve by 46 points from last season. They're the closest team right now, but they're not the ones we need to be worrying about. They're just riding a wave at the moment.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Leicester also know how to close out a Premier League win without choking.

Not as difficult when everyone else is ‘choking’ around you! They won it with 81 points and Arsenal in 2nd had 71 points! Basically nowhere near enough to get to the title this season.

Leicester are having a great season but can’t see them beating both City and Liverpool this month which is what they need to do to start closing the gap.

Leicester will comfortably beat Man City. But Liverpool lost the title last year when they lose against City so as long as they don't lose the Boxing Day game I think they'll stay on track.

58 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Liverpool lost the title last year when they lose against City

We drew 7 matches last season. Had we won any 1 of them, we'd have been champions. I'd argue the draw with United was our most damaging result, they were totally there for the taking. We also should have beaten Leicester among those, by the way, but were denied a stonewall penalty.

We were exceptionally unlucky last season. 1 more goal in any of 7 matches would have made all the difference.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

We drew 7 matches last season. Had we won any 1 of them, we'd have been champions. I'd argue the draw with United was our most damaging result, they were totally there for the taking. We also should have beaten Leicester among those, by the way, but were denied a stonewall penalty.

We were exceptionally unlucky last season. 1 more goal in any of 7 matches would have made all the difference.

I wouldn’t agree, we were pretty lucky to win some of the games we won, so it works both ways.

• Upvote 1

You can only compare how City did against every other team in the league and how we did. Overall, we did better than them. They took four points from six against us. We took one from six from them. There's the difference in winning and losing the league.

Still... Top of the league right now.

8-)

PSA!

Don’t forget tonight’s kick-off is 5:55pm UK time. I’m delighted to have a game that will finish before midnight. Although there are some juicy other games afterward so will probably be up until 2am anyway.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Salah’s having a nightmare. Just keep picking the wrong final pass at the moment. Must get one right soon. 

Perfectly timed comment.

1 minute ago, CheekyLee said:

Problem solved. What a finish!

Ridiculous finish at that speed. Put just the right amount of wazz on it.

3 minutes ago, Adrock said:

The change seemed to work quite well, Keita went right as Firmino dropped in behind Salah through the middle.

Nicely done by Klopp.

And Lovren came off. 

10 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Someone’s going to offer us £200mn for Mane soon aren’t they? We should turn it down. 

I don't think any player will want to leave this team. Literally everywhere else is a step down at the moment.

2 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I don't think any player will want to leave this team. Literally everywhere else is a step down at the moment.

Yeah but some have that weird thing for Barca or Real and might prefer the weather. 

I thought Coutinho was mad to leave and that was before we won anything. 

I don’t think Mane wants to go anywhere, just that we’re going to start getting some big offers in for this squad and we should turn them down.  Who would we get that’s any better?

I don't doubt there will be some breathtaking offers. What is Trent worth, for example? I just can't see any of our players willingly removing themselves from this party.

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

That'll do reds, that'll do.

Been impressed with Salzberg, I'd really like them to do well in the EL. Hope they win it.

Same. Just think they’re too frail at the back to win it. Hope to be very wrong, and good news for them is I usually am!