rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Those front 4 attackers tonight were all great. Mane was Mane but the fact Lallana, Shaqiri and Origi, three none starters played so well is really encouraging, especially for this December.

• Upvote 1

The Christmas game at Leicester is going to be huge. Have to assume that Leicester will get the gap down to at least 5 points by then, with us missing West Ham. 

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

The Christmas game at Leicester is going to be huge. Have to assume that Leicester will get the gap down to at least 5 points by then, with us missing West Ham. 

They’ve got Man City the game before us, tbh I’d be pretty happy if Leicester beat them. Can’t see Leicester keeping pace with us (although they are looking great) is the more distance from City the better. 

But tbh there’s so much of the season to go, it’s a bit early to be thinking of anything but winning our next game.

Just now, dizogg said:

They’ve got Man City the game before us, tbh I’d be pretty happy if Leicester beat them. Can’t see Leicester keeping pace with us (although they are looking great) is the more distance from City the better. 

But tbh there’s so much of the season to go, it’s a bit early to be thinking of anything but winning our next game.

Oh yeah agreed, just popped up in the Amazon stream, which reminded me is all. 

Buzzing. There were 10 minutes, just after Everton scored their first, where it looked like the side had lost its cool and get sucked into a scrappy dogfight. Until that is, Lovren plays that ball to Origi and the side looked like they could go on and get six or seven. They probably should have done in all honesty.

Still think Everton will swerve relegation, but there is a fragility about them that will make a run of positive results unlikely at the minute. Tough few weeks ahead in the league too, and surely will be in the hands of a caretaker. Neil Warnock is available!

Liverpool are a bit ridiculous at the moment. You've got the best min per goal ratio striker in existence who loves big occasions, a fullback who is like a machine sent from the future who runs forever and never gets tired, another fullback who pings insane long raking passes with such precision and speed it's like he's redefining the role, the most reliable penalty taker in the world, the most intelligent false no.9 around who does flicks and tricks nearly every game, a player like Mane who has got 100 times better since his time at Southampton when his fastest premier league hat trick ever i thought might not be evidence of his enduring brilliance but his greatest achievement in a patchy inconsistent career, however despite playing 400 games a year is always super energetic and really among the world's best. You have a defender who chose Liverpool over Man City and is basically perfect in every area of his game and attitude. You have the ox who has come back like he's taking revenge on his time lost by scoring goals unlike anyone has ever seen before, a blur from outside the box as he sparks into life and batters a thunder bastard into the net as the keeper then does a feeble dive as if he knew what just happened. You slaughter an admittedly poor relegation form Everton who nonetheless can make these derbies a chore and no on realises the all time top scorer in a season wasn't even there, and reintroduce a player who everyone forgot was even still playing football who slips in and scores like it's nothing. 

Klopp is a genius, and he's building something legendary that will be spoken about in 40 years. The last few seasons has had an interesting side story between Klopp and Guardiola, it's been so good to see the level rise. I always think the final league table, a few anomalies excepted is basically just a list a of the best current managers in order. Klopp's Dortmund football was amazing, his man management and passion unique, but if you think back to the earlier months of his Liverpool reign there it didn't seem the team would reach this point of strength. For sure provided the argument for spending big on key signings as long as they're allied to some sense of balance, propelled by a momentum.

But despite all that cos this is such a formidable team which is so strong in every area of the field that fights for every win until the last second there is still a sense that you don't know what kind of silky football you're gonna get game by game. The anfield record, emboldened by the Barcelona comeback, seems to further energize the team, but I'm still not approaching home games as I did under Rodger's 100+ goals season where you were guaranteed matches beginning like the team were shot out of a cannon, the interplay between the front four so good to watch.

..gonna be lynched if any of the man united threads guys see this

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, bradigor said:

What was good to see tonight was Trent and Robbo being snide fuckers throughout the game. 

83C2A62F-B33C-4789-9955-C315715C0947.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, glb said:

83C2A62F-B33C-4789-9955-C315715C0947.jpeg

I know it was early in the game. But I choose to believe Robbo saw the future and was already laughing at Holgate getting destroyed by Bobby for the 5th goal. 

As Andy Gray once said "He souldn't be allowed back in the stadium unless he buys a ticket'*

*Bonus points if anyone knows the moment. 

And here’s the squad headed to Qatar in a few weeks:

Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.

If Elliot, Brewster and Curtis Jones are going, then, as expected, it really will be a very junior team playing Villa in the League Cup.

Hahaha I have always wondered that about him grabbing the ball and running it back to the half way line when he'd scored a 96th minute winner. Like it's a thing he's seen people do after important goals but is completely unaware of why. He never seems to know how to celebrate either. He reminds me a bit of Igor Biscan in terms of how vacant and spaced out he comes across. That's where the similarities end of course. :wub:

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, glb said:

And here’s the squad headed to Qatar in a few weeks:

Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.

If Elliot, Brewster and Curtis Jones are going, then, as expected, it really will be a very junior team playing Villa in the League Cup.

I was hoping it would be half and half, give some of the big boys a few days at home.

Oi! Don't insult Igor! He played a vital role in our run to Istanbul in 2005. 

He was immense against Leverkausen and Juventus especially!

• Upvote 1

He had a couple of good games, he was a bit of a cult/meme hero amongst me and my circle of friends at the time. I loved Igor.  I remember on the season review DVD Rafa was going "I remember Biscan played well" and had this smile on his face like he was remembering that one time the fat kid won a race.

4 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

I was hoping it would be half and half, give some of the big boys a few days at home.

Hoped for the same. Fingers-crossed a second string will play the semi-final, which will likely be against Monterrey.

On the plus side, after the final / participation medal match on the 21st, there’s six days until the Leicester game, which I think is the longest break during this hectic run of games.

5 minutes ago, JLM said:

He had a couple of good games, he was a bit of a cult/meme hero amongst me and my circle of friends at the time. I loved Igor.  I remember on the season review DVD Rafa was going "I remember Biscan played well" and had this smile on his face like he was remembering that one time the fat kid won a race.

Back when I lived in the UK, we’d used to spend the car journeys to and from Liverpool chatting nonsense about various players. This led us to concocting a scenario where Biscan was basically adopted by Didi, who housed him in his shed and between games would train him in the ways of the modern world like a kind of footballing California Man.

I miss regular matchdays.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

No one here cares about the CWC but is very important to overseas players so I’d expect an argument if Klopp had tried to leave Mane, Salah etc at home.

• Upvote 1

I’ve watched that Trent pass to Mane so many times today. I’m not going to lie, I want to 3D print it during a lightning storm in the hope it comes to life like in Weird Science.

We’d go on long walks, take in a show. Have candlelit dinners by the sea. I’d make it a mixtape. It’d break my heart eventually but it would be so worth it.

• Upvote 3

Good on the club!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/12/liverpools-boycott-of-the-sn-leads-to-rejection-of-england-game-at-anfield/

The FA announced the friendly clash on June 7 without a venue as, with Wembley unavailable, Gareth Southgate is pushing for a northern stadium.

But with journalists from the S*n not permitted at Anfield, the Mail report that the Reds’ ground is not being considered, despite a host of others already being fully booked.

• Upvote 4

The FA are such a lily-livered bunch of toadies. Hacks from that toilet rag should just watch it on TV and be grateful for it. They can make up quotes post-match anyway, not like they’re strangers to fiction. Fuck ‘em.

• Upvote 3

Playing very like a team that's made 7 changes so far. No real cohesion, things not quite coming off. But, we should definitely still have enough to do them. Their biggest goal threat isn't allowed to play against us, after all!

Was about to say Keita looks a bit rusty, but then he played a ball so good Nathan Ake tore a hamstring trying to defend it.

And now 1-0 Reds. Harsh on Bournemouth, they’d looked fairly comfortable up until then.