rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

The VAR arguments tend to be against: Life is imperfect and unfair so why should football be any different? And for: Because technology means it can be. 

Except it’s proven it can’t. 

I’ve always been against it because football’s always been a subjective thing and that’s part of the fun. Hours of TV are spent discussing it and that will continue to happen even if all decisions were perfect because they can’t be. Someone will always say a foul wasn’t a foul or vice versa. It’s makes VAR pointless because you could have 3D Hawkeye tech or x-ray vision of bone movement to show contact and still have arguments about intent or if a ball was won. 

We went 100+ years without it and it was fine. It seems silly to fuck with just because some nerds like tech. 

Innovation is fine and the goal line decision thing works well (though I don’t love it as a Luddite purist). 

Anything that takes the pro game further away from a Sunday game at the park needs to really demonstrate its worth and even then I’m wary. I like that football is a simple game for all and that guys from the pub team can play the same game as the pros. 

The joy we felt at that ghost goal against Chelsea in 2005 or the anger at Ramos in 2018. These things are part of football and VAR is meant to take them away. All it does, though, is make them worse. 

• Upvote 3

Club has confirmed Carabao Cup QF will take place on December 17th, with CWC SF being played on December 18th.

Safe to assume there will be several changes between games!

Surely Monday would have been better to rest in between games.

Sat 14th 12:30 Watford

Tue 17th 19:45Aston Villa

Wed 18th 17:30

10 minutes ago, glb said:

Club has confirmed Carabao Cup QF will take place on December 17th, with CWC SF being played on December 18th.

Good luck against Villa boys!

thumb_28493_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Upvote 5

I hope we send the reserves/b-team to the CWC and play the first team against Villa. Why give our best players jetlag during such a busy period. 

After some defensive shenanigans, Gini sneaks in and hoiks the ball into the roof of the Genk goal.

Match with less tempo than a training exercise.

4 hours ago, glb said:

• Upvote 5

I keep banging the Oxlade-Chamberlain drum and I will continue to bang it. HE is the reason we didn't and never did miss Coutinho. 

• Upvote 1

Such a strange game. Like dropping down the difficulty to amateur but then dicking about, trying to unlock passing or assist trophies.

Absolute lad in the Kop wearing nothing but a polo too. Beer coat or not, he’s sticking two fingers up at November and saying, ‘is that the best you’ve got?’

Or he left his coat on the bus up the Walton Breck.

• Upvote 1

Aguero currently eyeing this Liverpool defending with all the glee of a sniper looking down a sight and seeing their target has a massive head.

Sat at home bored out of my tiny mind, so I though I'd look at results from this season compared to last season for us and Man City.

Liverpool currently have 4 points more than they did in equivalent games against the same opponents from last season*. What I found crazy is, of the remaining 27 games, in last season's equivalent fixtures Liverpool won 22, drew 4 and only lost 1 for a total of 70 points. The only fixtures in which they can improve on results from last season are: Man City (H), West Ham (A), Everton (A), Man City (A) and Arsenal (A). In those games last season Liverpool scored 62 and conceded 14, including 18 clean sheets. They conceded more than once in four games.

By comparison, Man City yielded 31 points in the equivalent games from last season, so are currently 6 worse off in comparative games (incidentally after 11 games last season they had 31 points so either way have dipped). Of their remaining 27 games, last season they won 21, drew 2 and lost 4 gaining 65 points. They scored 64 and conceded 17, with only 14 clean sheets but only three sides managed to score more than once against them. The remaining games where they can improve on last season are: Liverpool (A), Newcastle (A), Wolves (A), Crystal Palace (H), Leicester City (A) and Chelsea (A).

Obvious takeaways: both team's home records are ridiculous, they rarely concede more than once and there really isn't much room for improvement for either side at their current pace. Sunday's game is one of the few opportunities for either side to do so, assuming there is a winner and not another draw. A nine point gap of course wouldn't be insurmountable because so many variables are different but even so a three point lead being overturned would require Liverpool to regress and City to improve on last season, which is actually quite remarkable.

What all this really means is I really need to get a job.

*for games against promoted sides, based the equivalent on last season's promoted teams e.g. Liverpool's first home game against a promoted side this season was Norwich, last season it was Cardiff.

• Upvote 3

So... what's the betting that Ederson has a real injury and Bravo plays, but has "One of those games" that keepers have at Anfield. 

Yeah almost certain Ederson will start. I’m betting he felt the slightest twinge so they didn’t want to risk it at all in a fairly innocuous game. Expecting to lose at the weekend. Would be happy with a draw. Would be ecstatic if we won.

I’d be happy for a City player to be sent off in the fixture after what Kompany got away with last season and Fernandinho gets away with in nearly every game.

We avoid the dream team of Atkinson, Taylor, Moss for the game vs City. 

We have Michael Oliver in the middle with Paul Tierney on VAR duties. 

Looking at it, there is No Atkinson / Taylor combo in any of the weekend games.

If we’re great we’ll win, if we’re good we’ll draw and if we’re still not quite there we’ll lose. 

I think it’ll be a 1-1 draw but anything could happen. I don’t think we’ve had a big up for it game for a while and it’s shown recently. We’ve looked a bit off but still managed to get wins. The game against City could be exactly what the team needs to spark us off and remind us how good we can be. We might smash them. 

15 hours ago, bradigor said:

We avoid the dream team of Atkinson, Taylor, Moss for the game vs City. 

We have Michael Oliver in the middle with Paul Tierney on VAR duties. 

Looking at it, there is No Atkinson / Taylor combo in any of the weekend games.

That’s a relief. I think Oliver is the best ref at the moment. 

A clean sheet would be a nice starting point. But wouldn't be surprised if City win, then we win at their place later in the season. Feels suitably massive and unpredictable though, even the bookies have it too close to call.

Even without a ticket would have loved to be around the ground for the (hopefully without incident) welcome both teams will get. Klopp asking everyone to get in early and make Anfield shake. Expect a big performance on and off the pitch.

The team is as I would expect given Matip isn't available.

I still have absolutely no clue how the game will pan out, a tight affair is probably more likely despite all the bullshit build up by Sky.