rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Not long ago, City had the chance to go top at Anfield. They if they lose, it is 9 points. 

809714C8-F835-4713-85B4-2A2437BD5A41.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Amazing how much the 'pressure' on either team changed in a few short minutes. 

Us losing but City drawing was better than when we were drawing and City winning. Then we went/// fuck it. Let's just keep it at 6 points. 

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Amazing how much the 'pressure' on either team changed in a few short minutes. 

Us losing but City drawing was better than when we were drawing and City winning. Then we went/// fuck it. Let's just keep it at 6 points. 

27 more times to go. Everyone had a medical check-up recently?

They were talking up Leicester being in the title race at about 75 minutes because of the current scores. Some tweeting in to say it could be their year again. 

With us though now, I honestly think we send teams into a panic late on. That is our 35th 90+ minute goal in the Premier League era. TEN more than any other team.

• Upvote 1

It's the relentlessness. The team did not stop pushing for the entire match, it wears opponents down and the team now believe they will score right up until the whistle.

10 points from losing positions already this season. Was 16 last season.

Obviously can’t keep leaving it so late, but the willingness of this side to dig deep time and again is genuinely astounding.

I'm glad we won because with our worst performances in the league this season happening in that Bolton tribute kit I was beginning to think it was cursed.

51 minutes ago, Adrock said:

You know it's bang to rights when Andy Grey is arguing in favour of Liverpool.

Haha exactly. I like how he even mentions the weird angle of the line.

13 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Fuck right off. Armpit? This is utterly ridiculous.

In today’s world that’s ‘a mile offside’ compared to the one ruled out for Son against Leicester :o 

Heck of a win for your lot, relentless pressure - very impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I’ve always been against VAR but as far as yesterday goes I think all the issues can be explained by the sentence in the tweet above “VAR official Martin Atkinson...”

Seems like a reasonable measure of the success, or otherwise, of VAR so far is: are we (and pundits on MOTD etc.) spending more or less time discussing and disagreeing with the decisions? It feels like it's dramatically more to me, and practically every game has some debate about something that should or shouldn't have been overruled. It's completely ridiculous that we've ended up in this situation where these fractional calls are being minutely examined, holding up games, ruining goal celebrations, and rarely even reaching a more correct outcome anyway.

Many of the incidents that have been agonised over in this manner haven't made any real difference anyway. For example, if Firmino's (non-)goal had happened pre-VAR, replays and analysis after the game would have shown that it was incredibly close, and probably neither set of fans would have been too put out if it had been allowed or ruled out, because it was basically impossible to call. VAR intervening has actually made that situation much worse.

• Upvote 5

It's a tough one. I want the decisions to be correct and a video replay can definitely catch things that would have been missed otherwise. I can't agree that some guys  running around trying to follow the game and eyeball every decision is the optimal way to enforce the rules, but then some of the VAR calls have been either incorrect or so insanely petty that you'd rather they left it alone. I will say that I noticed when it wasn't there for the Carabao Cup game and one of Arsenal's goals was blatantly offside but wasn't called. There was also a very strong shout for a handball/penalty decision that was missed.

I'm not sure if the length of time pundits spend flapping their gums about everything is really a measure of anything though, as there are still plenty of decisions that come down to opinion and they have a lot of TV time to fill. Plus VAR is the hot topic of the day so they're going to talk about everything it does ad nauseum. The headline when VAR absolutely correctly overrules a bad refereeing call is still always "ARSENAL DRAW AFTER VAR CONTROVERSY" rather than "CORRECT VAR DECISION PREVENTS UNFAIR RESULT".

I think the implementation has been clumsy, inconsistent and poorly communicated  but I'm for the idea in principle.

• Upvote 3