rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Lucky to get a point, absolutely dreadful for most of the game. City will run up a cricket score against this United side but I think the title will come down to the game against City and it’s still a healthy lead at the top of the table.

On form that’s two points dropped, but given we were awful for 84 minutes, probably a point gained. And given how tight last season was, that could still be meaningful.

Don’t know how Liverpool can consistently be so bad in this particular fixture. Two league wins in sixteen years is, frankly, pretty dismal.

Thinking on, our goal shows what a missed opportunity that was. Game changed on a dime after Lallana scored with us looking confident and them looking a little more frantic. Makes it more frustrating it took so long to get into even third gear (and it wasn’t exactly a fluid attack that led to us scoring either)

Hoping a few key players are rested against Genk, what with facing another ‘wounded’ team next weekend. Spurs are still more than capable of frustrating this side, and will certainly raise their game after what happened in Madrid.

Up these top-of-the-table, occasionally frustrating Reds :wub:

He’s like football’s Ms Havisham, still sitting in his ‘99 kit, living in a faded, crumbling grand old manor, wailing about the past... “Keano! Gary! Big Poppa Ferguson!”

He’ll be gone by Christmas, the creepy little gnome.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

So yeah, we played shit, but you know, we didn't lose and we only drew through a dodgy decision.  All this Man City would get a hatful against this man u side etc etc, what bollocks, they've lost twice this season already.  No need for doom and gloom.

Utd always up their game against us and even then they couldn't beat a side that looked like they were still on holiday. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

A level head at least.

This game is basically showing the difference between City and us. We go to OT and are half way to defeat before weve even started. They go and blow United away.

@Chewylegs you can neg this all you want but it's true. We've played well at OT twice in the last 10 years. The occasion gets to the team way too much. They're awful at the moment and we were on a 17 games winning run, yet today youd never have known either of those things.

It isnt just a case of United upping their game, they werent even that good today and we've played and beat better teams. We go there and play awful.

Thing is, we'll have games that we'll get points in that City won't. Maybe starting next week against Spurs. 

City set the bar way too high, but we are taking the challenge head on. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

@Chewylegs you can neg this all you want but it's true. We've played well at OT twice in the last 10 years. The occasion gets to the team way too much. They're awful at the moment and we were on a 17 games winning run, yet today youd never have known either of those things.

It isnt just a case of United upping their game, they werent even that good today and we've played and beat better teams. We go there and play awful.

I was negging your point about it does the difference between us and City.  It doesn't.

We beat Norwich, they lost to them. Does that suddenly show the difference? Nope, it doesn't either.

We drew playing badly, I don't see this as a huge problem. Again, VAR got it wrong IMO so perhaps we shouldn't have drawn. 

8 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

I was negging your point about it does the difference between us and City.  It doesn't.

We beat Norwich, they lost to them. Does that suddenly show the difference? Nope, it doesn't either.

We drew playing badly, I don't see this as a huge problem. Again, VAR got it wrong IMO so perhaps we shouldn't have drawn. 

I'm talking about the occasion, the derby, the two big teams going head to head. They dont let it effect them, we do.

3 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Maybe you are right there. 

Honestly I dont know what it is, we should be blasting these away but youd never guess there was such a gulf between the two yesterday. It's a weird one.

I dont see what is so weird about it - Man U have struggled to score all season but have been rock solid in defence. In fact Man U have the best defensive stats out of any team in the Premier League this season.

Their issue is scoring goals and especially scoring goals against defensive sides. They have scored only 10 goals all season and 5 of those are against Chelsea and Liverpool - two teams that attacked them and left space on the counter.

It was always going to be a close game and in the end the small decisions cost us a win in the game.

• Upvote 1

It’s the one ground where the team consistently has collective stage fright. The 3-0 win during Moyes’ season is the only time we’ve played with any sort of superiority in almost two decades. Those Murphy-inspired wins were smash and grab, even the 4-1 win was tight until Aurelio’s free kick all but ended the contest. Obviously there was a prolonged period where they’ve been a far better side so wins were going to be slim to none, but I can’t fathom why, under different managers, there is almost without fail a tendency to retreat into our shells and play so meekly.

Had Lallana scored in the 74th and not the 84th minute, I think we’d have still gone and won by a couple because they shit the bed entirely after conceding. They’re a nervous, cowering team but our sluggish, tentative approach allowed their fairly basic ploy to defend deep and attack the wide channels at pace to succeed far too often, which gave the crowd a lift and their players something to fight for. Again, we played the badge not the team.

That said, an off-day was due because we’ve scraped gritty wins the last few games, obviously the frustration is heightened with it being that lot; if we’d drawn with Leicester and won yesterday we’d be in exactly the same spot yet feeling cock-a-hoop. Start the midfield that finished yesterday against Genk, maybe even Origi or Brewster too to give some a rest and then go at Spurs like a whirlwind, another team currently with all the confidence of a spotty teenager approaching his unrequited crush to mumble a request for a prom date.

When Man Utd were winning titles we’d often give them a good game and take points off them and feel happy about it. It was all we had. Now the roles are reversed we should have the same attitude that it’s not a big deal to only draw, we’ve got bigger goals than they have. 

• Upvote 1

That was the best they've played in months and the worst we've played in months too, and still they could only get a draw. I don't recall Alisson having to do much at all during the whole game.

I'm happy with the current trajectory of both teams. :)

• Upvote 1

I don't think we're giving United enough credit for their performance. They identified our 3 creative players, pushed their wing backs up meaning that Trent and Robertson were having to operate from a much deeper position than they'd like, and left 3 centre backs to keep Firmino quiet. Sheffield United had a similar shape and nearly took points off us, so it's not as simple as saying we shat the bed because it was Old Trafford.

In fact, we only really got back into the game when they abandoned their plan and sat deeper to protect their lead, which allowed Trent and Robertson to come forward and overload them. If they'd stuck to their guns, they'd have won yesterday.

We'll drop points again to teams playing the same way - usually, we'll have someone create something of nothing to pull us through and open the game up, but that won't happen every week and unfortunately yesterday was one of those days. Missing Salah won't have helped in that regard.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I don't think we're giving United enough credit for their performance.

They deserve some credit, but there are things that get in the way of wanting to give it. Not least of which was the "ineptness" of Martin Atkinson. If anyone is trying to tell me that United genuinely didn’t commit any fouls between the 22nd and 72nd minutes (according to the referee), while during that period we had 309 touches compared to their 138, the attempted tackles were 12 - 16, yet somehow every 1 of their tackles was perfect while 10 of ours were fouls, then I'm straight out calling that person a liar. And, yes, it may well seem like it's sour grapes to blame a referee, but I recall one point in the 2nd half where 2 of our players let Rashford skip past them because they seemed scared to even try to tackle him. 

These little things add up, and get into player's minds. If you know that you'll get fouled without the opponent being punished, you're more likely to not get close to them next time. If you know that your opponent will hit the deck and earn a foul no matter how good your tackle is, you'll most likely hold back. When you get booked for something that the referee ignores the other way not even 5 minutes later, your attitude is likely to drop. 

That wasn't even the first time Origi was hacked from behind with no whistle during the match. Atkinson was absolutely appalling, and there is no way that was accidental. This wasn't a bad day at the office, it was utter intent on his part. We never got a chance to get a foothold in the game, because they pushed and kicked whenever we had the ball, but were allowed to come away with it every single time, whereas we were never given any benefit of doubt. Every contact was judged to be a foul. and while it's a lot less obvious than a blatant incorrect decision, I have always felt that it hurts a team who would otherwise be on top so much more to deny them the chance to ever get going. This was part of their plan, and they were at the very least aided by a referee who never gives us anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

14 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

They deserve some credit, but there are things that get in the way of wanting to give it. Not least of which was the "ineptness" of Martin Atkinson. If anyone is trying to tell me that United genuinely didn’t commit any fouls between the 22nd and 72nd minutes (according to the referee), while during that period we had 309 touches compared to their 138, the attempted tackles were 12 - 16, yet somehow every 1 of their tackles was perfect while 10 of ours were fouls, then I'm straight out calling that person a liar. And, yes, it may well seem like it's sour grapes to blame a referee, but I recall one point in the 2nd half where 2 of our players let Rashford skip past them because they seemed scared to even try to tackle him. 

These little things add up, and get into player's minds. If you know that you'll get fouled without the opponent being punished, you're more likely to not get close to them next time. If you know that your opponent will hit the deck and earn a foul no matter how good your tackle is, you'll most likely hold back. When you get booked for something that the referee ignores the other way not even 5 minutes later, your attitude is likely to drop. 

That wasn't even the first time Origi was hacked from behind with no whistle during the match. Atkinson was absolutely appalling, and there is no way that was accidental. This wasn't a bad day at the office, it was utter intent on his part. We never got a chance to get a foothold in the game, because they pushed and kicked whenever we had the ball, but were allowed to come away with it every single time, whereas we were never given any benefit of doubt. Every contact was judged to be a foul. and while it's a lot less obvious than a blatant incorrect decision, I have always felt that it hurts a team who would otherwise be on top so much more to deny them the chance to ever get going. This was part of their plan, and they were at the very least aided by a referee who never gives us anything.

:lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

My bigger concern is Matip with a "knee problem"

He was rested for a couple of matches due to it but must have had a reaction after the United game.

The club could struggle without him, Gomez hasn't reached anywhere near the form he produced early last season in the couple of chances he had up until now and we all know about Lovren.

Tonight should be a victory but away games in the group stage seem to be a problem. Could be a difficult watch tonight.

Tonight should be a stroll. Emphasis on ‘should’. And we all know what that usually means...

But yeah, concerned over Matip, especially with Spurs rediscovering they can play football ahead of their visit on Sunday.

15 minutes ago, bradigor said:

6-0 tonight 

BIG ENERGY.

No group stage away win for two year, scoring 10 tonight.