rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Be nice to win it, but I think we send a second string out there. Give the likes of Brewster some experience. 

59 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I'd rather we boycotted it, given the human rights abuses that are happening to get Qatar World Cup ready. I won't be watching it, either way.

Well, yes, that would be the preferable.

Some belated thoughts on Madrid... well, more of a review really, innit.

Relief. 

As Damir Skomina put whistle to lips and blew for full-time, a collective sigh of relief was exhaled by the Reds on the pitch and thousands upon thousands more across the globe. A season filled with so much energy, joy and promise could now, thankfully, always be savoured, rather than being consigned to history and looked back on with rueful glances as to what might have been.

The performance did not matter one bit. All that mattered was getting over the proverbial line victorious. They did it with minimal fuss. Myth and magic was Istanbul’s jam; when it mattered the class of 2019 forsook beautiful chaos for measured control.

Assured by an early lead and the presence of a defence that had conceded a paltry 22 league goals, Liverpool erected not so much a red wall as created a red marshland in the final third to thwart their domestic opponents. A claustrophobic, disruptive swamp where Tottenham’s best efforts were squeezed out and swallowed up with minimal fuss.

And when the men from North London finally navigated a path through the Red quagmire they were met with the calm confidence of Allison Becker; a final boss empowered by the call of his club’s year-long quest for redemption. The Brazilian stood tall, shrinking his goal to a five-a-side target as Tottenham’s last throws of the dice demanded his unwavering attention.

Propelled by Allison’s assurance, Liverpool’s frontline finally gained ground, and finally utilised a corner to its maximum potential after a long night of wasteful crosses. A brief bout of pinball ended by Joel Matip’s calm lay-off to the Kop’s newest cult hero, Divock Origi, who smacked a left-footed shot past Lloris, propelling a sea of Red limbs into rampant celebrations, fuelled by a long yearned for taste of glory on Europe’s biggest stage.

Tottenham were left to go through the motions but Origi’s calm finish extinguished all but forlorn hope. Two goals in eight minutes would have been in-keeping with much of this season’s hectic Champions League campaign but also would have been even more miraculous than anything seen in earlier rounds given the night’s previous 87 minutes of huff and puff football.

The final whistle blew and a drab contest could be consigned to history. Sweat-drenched men from both sides sank to the turf but when the Reds rose, there were cheers mixed with their tears. Tottenham were valiant in defeat. The final proved a game too far for the present but their future, backdropped by a spectacular new arena with which to call home, looks resoundingly positive. In Pochettino they have a man who can continue their growth and make good on their own dreams in much the way Klopp has revolutionised Liverpool.

After the contest comes the coronation. By the time the Anfield’s players and supporters had gathered themselves for the presentation of Old Big Ears for the sixth time in the club’s history, relief was ready to give way to an altogether different emotion, and the prolonged party could begin. A Red collective had dared to dream and could now live the reality.

Euphoria.

TL;DR: This fucking team :wub:

• Upvote 3

Moreno was always a liability but I'm sad to see Sturridge leave, he looked so impressive in the near miss of 13/14 and scored that incredible goal in the Europa League final that was forgotten when the team fell apart in the second half. 

• Upvote 2

Shame Sturridge could never stay fit/match his form from that one great season he had. Still a decent player at times - against Chelsea this season for example - but sadly no place for him with us anymore (Not with Divock's ascension to greatness). 

I've always liked Moreno, just not for his defensive abilities. 

Assuming Clyne is also leaving, we’ll need cover for our full-backs, unless a reserve / youth team player is getting promoted.

Brewster’s presence in the squad recently suggests he’ll be promoted as forward cover next season.

Guess one or two signings elsewhere pending other exits, but core squad doesn’t need much tweaking.

Milner super sub can play any position.

I would like to see more of the younger players given a chance. If true Harry Wilson is leaving that is a shame.

Is Milner not leaving this summer? I was of the understanding he was going, he is of an age now where he won't be first choice and I'm sure there was talk of rejoining Leeds at the end of his career.

The calibre of the squad outside of the first 11 is the biggest weakness for the club.

They could do with at least 3 or 4 signings I reckon.

Milner is staying and I'm happy for him too. Not sure why he'd leave us to go to Leeds when he's still fit enough to play Klopps style. He's also an experienced head which is always good to have around.

• Upvote 1

Yeah he’s much too good a player to drop to the championship. How many players have ever been an integral part of a champions league winning club then gone down a league?

Also we must be paying him a fair wack, probably would totally smash Leeds it structure unless he took a cut.

Milner is on £120k per week apparently. Easily has at least two years left at the top, his fitness levels are ridiculous, among the top at the club (as per pre-season videos), doubt he’ll go anywhere soon.

• Upvote 1

Studgger, Suarez and Sterling up top, what an awesome force they were. Hope he goes on to still perform at another club, some of his goals were legendary.

In all honesty they looked absolutely shattered during the match, let alone after.

They've had a seriously long season.

34 minutes ago, bradigor said:

So Hendo and Trent are both still too hungover to play for England tonight ;) 

Good, means LFC fans can totally get behind Holland playing ‘the rest of the country’ 

I've noticed VVD getting booed every time he's on the ball. My first thought was there must be lots of United fans among the England crowd, but Wijnaldum isn't getting booed. So don't know what that's about.