rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Then you have someone like Michael Owen who was played a lot at a young age and wasn't the same player by his mid 20 because his body gave out under the strain of so many matches.

Then you have someone like Michael Owen who was played a lot at a young age and wasn't the same player by his mid 20 because his body gave out under the strain of so many matches.

Yeah I appreciate that, but Owen was always susceptible to injury, fingers crossed Raheem is made of stronger stuff.

And what people keep forgetting is that he's (only just) 19. We shouldn't be relying on him so heavily at this stage of his career - he's going to burn out again if we're not careful.

Nobody is forgetting that (and I've said before that he's played too much over the last 18 months), but the same was said about Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott - neither of which have ever really hit their potential. They too have always been criticised for their lack of a final ball. (Walcott has always wanted to be a striker, so his case is slightly different now, admittedly.)

It doesn't stop them from being good players, but it has definitely stopped them from becoming great players.

I think if he keeps producing and has the desire to play then let him.

I guess this is the crux of it - I don't think he is producing enough. Just after Christmas Rodgers was talking about maybe letting him go on loan in this window, wasn't he? If we had any half-decent option in his position I don't think he'd be getting games as regularly as he is.

I do always want him to succeed, though. It's great to see a winger look to run at his man, too many players these days are afraid to take somebody on for fear of allowing a counter-attack to be mounted. I guess I'm just excited at how much more he could add to his play if polish that area of his game - he could become ours and England's winger for the next 10 years!

I guess this is the crux of it - I don't think he is producing enough.

Yep that's fair enough, though I think in recent games he has been producing he just hasn't played the final ball or scored the goal.

Be nice to see a youngster with a bit of potential really progressing, so perhaps i'm getting a bit carried away :)

Now Chelsea are winning, our draw on the weekend is even more frustrating cause if we beat Arsenal that would have out us 3 points behind top.

Ah well, beat Arsenal and it's 5 points, it's still close, we need some other results to go out way, like City and Chelsea dropping points.

Nobody is forgetting that (and I've said before that he's played too much over the last 18 months), but the same was said about Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott - neither of which have ever really hit their potential. They too have always been criticised for their lack of a final ball. (Walcott has always wanted to be a striker, so his case is slightly different now, admittedly.)

It doesn't stop them from being good players, but it has definitely stopped them from becoming great players.

That wasn't a dig at you :)

Just read a good article about youngsters playing too much. Whatever happened to Insua...?

http://thetravellingkop.com/2436/writers-columns/draper-digest-pressure-on-youngsters/

I remember little Emiliano. He was pretty good on Championship Manager if you looked after him if I recall.

In real life, I remember him looking decent, but that article is about right; too many games - but perhaps more importantly, too many games in succession. Being a full back left him with no hiding place if he wasn't having a great game and it did for him. The same thing happened with Djimi Traore; in his early days he looked decent and you thought he had potential.

Even big Igor suffered the same fate - was young, had unfair expectations placed upon him and every so-so game was a nail in his coffin. He had the turning-circle of a tanker and less pace than a corpse, but he was big, strong and had those long gangly legs which he used to good effect in the tackle. Or maybe my addled brain is romanticising him somewhat (he was also good on one the Champ Man versions). Ahh, memories!

Is there a sub-section on RAWK that claim Insua could have been the second coming of Rob Jones(except on the left) and would have him back from Gala(?)in a heartbeat.He's now at Atletico Madrid it appears.

On occasion Biscan could be a world beater and I thought he was bought on the basis of some CL perfomances against Utd(?), became a bit of a cult favourite.

I think that regarding Sterling , managing game time and expectations would help with preventing injuries and allow for drops in form- if he's playing constantly he's more likely to get injured either via a tackle or repetitive stress which will drop of his effectiveness to a degree later in his career. Long term view and all that- so basically- what has been previously said...

Edited by lolly

I remember little Emiliano. He was pretty good on Championship Manager if you looked after him if I recall.

In real life, I remember him looking decent, but that article is about right; too many games - but perhaps more importantly, too many games in succession. Being a full back left him with no hiding place if he wasn't having a great game and it did for him. The same thing happened with Djimi Traore; in his early days he looked decent and you thought he had potential.

Even big Igor suffered the same fate - was young, had unfair expectations placed upon him and every so-so game was a nail in his coffin. He had the turning-circle of a tanker and less pace than a corpse, but he was big, strong and had those long gangly legs which he used to good effect in the tackle. Or maybe my addled brain is romanticising him somewhat (he was also good on one the Champ Man versions). Ahh, memories!

It's where my username comes from.

Also, Igor was boss for the song that came after the Fulham away game.

two nil down

four two up

Igor Biscan wrapped it up

But he didn't know what to do, when he scored the goal

Igor Biscan's our hero

It's where my username comes from.

Also, Igor was boss for the song that came after the Fulham away game.

two nil down

four two up

Igor Biscan wrapped it up

But he didn't know what to do, when he scored the goal

Igor Biscan's our hero

Ha ha, excellent :D

I remember that Fulham game, Didi scoring an outrageous goal.

Re: tommorow I think its a bit like the Everton game where well just have to out attack them and be ultra clinical, Mike Tyson style early KO because I just don't trust our defence with Aly & Kolo, it's important because I imagine one of Spurs & Everton will win, then Man Utd will win, that's 100% certain even for them, I can't see us getting more than a draw though, if it's 0-0 after 30 mins Arsenal will then just triangle us to death and win