Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Just now, bradigor said:

Well, we've done the trade. All the luck against us tonight, to give it all to Leicester on Monday ;) 

It’s astonishing that if Leicester don’t get a result we might come away from this season with nothing. 

Just now, Adrock said:

Can't see them scoring 4 unanswered goals.

Ah well, let's hope for a City slip on Monday.

I expected a possible 4-1 which would have been enough if Salah had scored that chance. 

1 minute ago, Pockets said:

It’s astonishing that if Leicester don’t get a result we might come away from this season with nothing. 

Hey, that's football. 

2 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Just love watching this side though, whether we win or lose. We can go on to big big things in the future.

Indeed, we are performing above expectations still. Add the right players in the summer and with a fully fit Oxlade-Chamberlain and next season could be just as exciting as we go toe to toe with City and Europes elite again. 

Barcelona bottled it against Roma last season after they won the first leg comfortably. Roma did score an away goal though. Hopefully TAA, Firmino and The Ox will be playing next week and with nothing to lose see how all out attack works out for us.

I think with Premier League teams over the past two or three years, we've seen the hubris of Premier League teams (best league in the World!) reach hamartia. Man City up for the inevitable quadruple - nope. Liverpool will win it now that PSG and Real Madrid are out?!???!!!! - nope.  Spurs could feasibly reach the final but even if they did, Barcelona would annihilate them as Spurs are knackered.  It's Barcelona's to lose now.

Messi et al made Van Dijk look very ordinary yesterday and Salah spent most of the first half running into walls.  Mane didn't score when he should have and the Scottish lad at left back couldn't cross a number on a lottery ticket.  Milner had chance after chance and kept passing it to the keeper.  I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool and Klopp win nothing again.  The commentators were hyping up an Anfield crowd under the lights.  These guys regularly go to Real Madrid and win, to Althletico Madrid and win so they won't be intimidated.

2nd place Klopp strikes again.

In the past it's often been hyperbolic but I do think the PL is the strongest league right now, even if it doesn't have the best team. Three clubs in the CL quarters, two in the semis, two in the EL semis, and you can make a very good XI made up from players outside the top 6 sides.

Also saying Messi made VVD look very ordinary is pretty ridiculous. Messi is the greatest player of all time, and it’s not like his goals were anything to do with VVD, he scored a flukey deflected goal and then a worldy free kick. Can you name any defenders from the last 17 years that played against Messi and comfortably had him in their pocket?

Klopp should give Poch a call for some tactics tips with how to deal with Real Madrid and Barcelona  ;) 

Seriously, seemed a decent performance and some awful finishing has probably cost a place in the final - I think Liverpool will score at home but so will Barcelona - good luck tho as would love to see them out.

2 hours ago, dizogg said:

Also saying Messi made VVD look very ordinary is pretty ridiculous. Messi is the greatest player of all time, and it’s not like his goals were anything to do with VVD, he scored a flukey deflected goal and then a worldy free kick. Can you name any defenders from the last 17 years that played against Messi and comfortably had him in their pocket?

He stood still when the ball came back off the bar and the Suarez goal where him and Matip were caught napping. 

Ramos has done a decent job on Messi over the years. 

Enjoy the rest of your season :bye:

Still deflated. To completely outplay Barca and lose 3-0! They say the Nou Camp is the chapel and obviously the Gods were against us!

There is a glimmer of hope still as they are very beatable. Just go at them from kick off and see if they crumble. Get an early goal or two and fortitude may begin to switch sides. 

2014 hurt, last year hurt (last night felt similar - some bad luck and a worldie, despite being very much in the game) but this year won't, whatever happens. 

I'm 35 and I've never seen an LFC team which is this good. In 05, 14 and last year we were underdogs, punching above our weight and it felt like this was a chance that may not come around again any time soon.

This team is different. There's no dead weight knocking about, just a proper team full of talented, exciting and disaplined players. I'm happy just to have a team that will be competing for at least a few years yet, not just another Gerrard/Torres/Suarez led group of decent players that get lucky/turn out on when it suits. There's quality all over the pitch now. Quality and potential.

Without checking I think we've lost 7 times all season. To be 1 point off first in the PL at this stage and go out in the CL semi to Barca would have been snatched in an instant if it was offered to us 12 months or 12 years ago. 

I feel for the players and staff because their hard work over the the past 2 seasons does merit a trophy, but it doesn't really matter. Sport is full of losers; stability and progress are much more important things for LFC right now. To regress (again) would the absolute worst thing to happen and nothing suggests it's going to.

Klopp said similar a few times weeks ago. Last year, we had a final to look forward to, but we also still had to qualify for the CL on the last day (penny for your thoughts, Spurs fans) - this is much better.

Finally, there was a moment last night where JoGo made run and shanked a cross out of play. He ran back down the line and Klopp mouthed something like 'Smile, enjoy yourself'. I'm not making excuses for the team (maybe) not winning anything again, but it pretty much sums up how I feel about our lot.

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

He stood still when the ball came back off the bar and the Suarez goal where him and Matip were caught napping. 

Ramos has done a decent job on Messi over the years. 

Enjoy the rest of your season :bye:

We don't get trolls in here much anymore but thanks I will enjoy the rest of the season. We can still win the league and even if it's a blowout the second leg will be fun to watch.

It’s mad that Chelsea or Arsenal could come away from this season with more to show for it. 

I think the real test that’ll show how far we’ve come will be in the summer. If we can hang on to everyone we want to and maybe attract a big name or two, that’ll be the real sign of moving on. Too often in the past when we’ve had a good season we’ve had to let players go and not been able to replace them quickly. Now, with the manager and the team regularly competing, that should change. We shouldn’t be a selling club anymore, we should be a destination club. 

19 hours ago, Pockets said:

It’s mad that Chelsea or Arsenal could come away from this season with more to show for it. 

It's really not. They are playing in the second division of European cups, we are in the real deal, competing with the very best. Only one team can be the best in Europe.  

Even if, say, Arsenal won the Europa League and Liverpool won nothing I wouldnt trade seasons with them.

I have loved watching Liverpool play this season they have been amazing and I expect them to be amazing next season too. Irrelevant of whether we win anything or not this year it is exciting being a Liverpool fan.