rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Was surprising to see Liverpool playing for a draw again. Think the pressure and expectation has finally got to Klopp and the team. 

Winning becomes a habit. Liverpool need to break the habit of drawing. 

53 minutes ago, ryodi said:

The only exception to stats that show a team top at Christmas / points tally at this point etc goes on to win is Liverpool. It’s not negativity when it’s happened before.

This is probably THE best team that has won the Premier league we are up against, so that stat can be dragged out but it means fuck all.  Oh and they improved that team by bringing in Mahrez, who incidentally scored the winner yesterday.

To be in it at this point is more than I think we all imagined at the beginning of the season, but of course to be leading and now coming a little unstuck is gonna hurt.  But I'd rather be in with a shout and be disappointed, than 20 points behind like we were last season.

It’s of course possible that City will drop points, but to think United will take any off them is laughable. Man utd fans will be cheering for them at that game and Solskjaer is Man U enough to understand that. 

• Downvote 5

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

It’s of course possible that City will drop points, but to think United will take any off them is laughable. Man utd fans will be cheering for them at that game and Solskjaer is Man U enough to understand that. 

What a load of shit. There’s absolutely no way United fans will be supporting City in the derby.

• Upvote 1

They are also now in the race for a top 4 finish and cannot afford to drop any points if they want to qualify for the Champions League. I still expect City to turn them over in the same way they battered Chelsea though.

To think that United won't go out there and do a professional job is laughable. In the soundbites, on social media, etc they'll tell you they want City to win the title. But during those 90 mins, all they want if United to turn them over. 

A combination of United and Rodgers' Leicester taking points from City will just be perfect. 

Should we have gone for a creative mid-fielder in January?

The Ox will be back soon, Lallana has been poor & Shaqiri has had moments of greatness.

On 04/03/2019 at 21:25, JPL said:

What a load of shit. There’s absolutely no way United fans will be supporting City in the derby.

The brother of a mate of mine is a united fan. He said he'd rather city won the league every year for the rest of time than Liverpool winning the league even once. Don't know how typical he is of United fans, though.

36 minutes ago, dug said:

The brother of a mate of mine is a united fan. He said he'd rather city won the league every year for the rest of time than Liverpool winning the league even once. Don't know how typical he is of United fans, though.

But that’s not what he said. He said the us United fans will be cheering for City when we play them! But yeah, I’d probably prefer City to win the league, rather than Liverpool, although I’m more concerned about us getting a Champions League spot.

I thought it was clear I was speaking relatively metaphorically but I forgot this is the internet where everyone takes everything literally.

My point was that, of all the Manchester derbies ever played, perhaps this particular one would be the one where United fans would be least disappointed about losing when you factor in what it would mean for Liverpool's title chances if they won or even drew.

City might be the local rivals but nearly all the United fans would say they 'hate' Liverpool more and I think it's the same for Liverpool fans. Of course I'd always like Liverpool to beat Everton but if losing to them somehow helped prevent, or make more unlikely, a United title win then I'd certainly feel better about it than I might otherwise.

My point, then, is that when facing possibly the strongest City team of all time, Man United will have to be ultra motivated and really play well to get anything out of the game and, given the circumstances, that might be more unlikely than it usually would be. I'm not saying they'll roll over or actually cheer City on but that when you factor in City's quality and perhaps a 'reason' for United not to be as bothered as usual perhaps, it's a big ask.

I just think a lot of United fans would be less bothered about winning when you consider the 'benefits' of losing, with regard to Liverpool, than they might usually be. Whether that has any effect on the team is another matter - it probably wouldn't as I doubt most players care about such things - but I don't think what I'm getting at is ridiculous at all, from a fan perspective at least. I'd have mixed feelings about beating Everton if it meant Man Utd went top of the table.

There is of course the 4th place factor to consider though.

We're Klopping it up again.

Perhaps a little harsh on him - it does feel now that our season is going to spin right down as Man Utd rise.

I guess that's the end point for us. Back to scrabbling for players and middling. Winning one league cup every 10 years.

I am just going outside and may be some time. :bye:

Fucking depressing in here.  You wouldn't think we are 1 point behind with 9 to play, anything could happen, we could actually still win the league for the first time in however long!! I'm 40 years old and I have more memories of Michael Thomas scoring that goal than us winning a league title, think it's about time that change!

• Upvote 4

Exactly, let's be positive you bunch of miserable bastards*. It's now March 8th, we are 1 point behind the current league champions with 27 points still up for grabs. We've been wanting a sustained league challenge for years and here it is, right now is the time to get behind this team of ours and enjoy the ride until the end of the season (even though it is bloody nerve-wracking). We have 5 home games, 4 away left.

We would have all taken this position on December 1st. We've made massive progress compared to last season. We finished 25 points behind City then, that is now only 1 point, plus we now have all our key 1st team players on long term contracts. The club has never looked healthier and we have one of the best managers in the world. Time to get together, remain positive and each play our part; whether we go to the match, watch it in the pub or at home. This is not a time for negativity. Let's throw all that away right now. Don't even bother looking at Man Utd, who cares about them. This is all about us and each of us remaining fanatical about our team, and fully behind them, until the very end.

*I love you all really

• Upvote 3

Watford was a legitimate chance of City dropping points. On their day they could get a draw or better but instead they’ve changed the team around and are rolling over in City’s path. I wonder how many more will do that, viewing it as unwinnable and just resting their first team. 

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Watford was a legitimate chance of City dropping points. On their day they could get a draw or better but instead they’ve changed the team around and are rolling over in City’s path. I wonder how many more will do that, viewing it as unwinnable and just resting their first team. 

Resting the team for a game next weekend ffs.

The supposed first choice Watford were battered at Anfield so I cannot see how this reserve team could do any worse against City.

Why does everything have to be so frantic? Watching City yesterday, they struggled to break down Watford but just knocked it about and slowly wore them down. 

5 minutes into this and we’re running around desperately and trying first touch passes when under no pressure. They get a corner and we’re 1-0 down. Everyone needs to calm the fuck down.