Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

1 minute ago, Pockets said:

You're not trying hard enough. I’ve completed 3 PHDs in this game alone. 

Ok

Fact: You can spell Trent Alexander-Arnold in the time it takes Trent Alexander-Arnold to take a throw-in. 

21 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Anyone would think we were playing some European minnows the way the commentators think we should be beating this team. It's Bayern Munich for fuck sake. 

I was a bit annoyed at our performance until I remember this.  Bayern Munich are an amazing side, I think we’ll score over there too, which gives us a great chance.

I know it goes against the perceived ‘wisdom’ but I always think playing at home first is better and 0-0 isn’t a terrible result against a decent side. Not conceding is the main thing. Anything we get there is worth double now. Will they really keep us out for another 90 mins?

I thought Keita's first half performance was good today. He had some frustrating passes but then he was also the one trying to play the most incisive and ambitious through balls, so it was to be expected that some of them wouldn't make it. People can be very quick to write players off sometimes.  I still think he can be a success for us and he’s barely had a chance to get started yet. 

I don't think tonight was a bad result and I don't think it was a bad performance either. An alright result and a clean sheet with a makeshift defense against a very well organised Bayern side who defended brilliantly, Kimmich especially. Don’t see why we can’t beat them in the second leg. 

12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Bayern set up to frustrate our attack and that's what's they've done. We however have kept them out too, so no away goal for them is massive.

They will open up more at home and that suits our style more too. Goals will come from both teams in the 2nd leg.

My thoughts too.  The other thing is, Bayern are no mugs. People seem to think we should have walked over them, all a bit odd really.  It's a close tie, we will score in Germany it's just whether we can stop them scoring more.  Fabinho was excellent last night but it will be good to get him back in midfield and VVD back in.  We needed one of Bobby,Mo or Mane to be on form last night and unfortunately none were. Mane was very wasteful.

Bring on the Mancs!

xG for the game was 2.2 - 0.5 which is about as good as it gets for a game of this magnitude. I think saying that Bayern frustrated our attack is just results oriented thinking - we just missed our chances.

I do think the second half performance is a little bit of a worry as we have a number of times already this season seemed to run out of momentum/steam in the second half. I guess in Europe the psychology changes as conceding a goal when it is 0-0 is pretty disastrous.