Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

You could argue that 4 points is about right. City would have won at Anfield if Mahrez had scored the penalty and yesterday the game should really have ended in a draw. I'll take a four point lead and I expect City to lose again this season because some of their fear factor from last year had gone.

I'm quite sanguine about last night. It's not like we were outplayed. We weren't at our best, but still we just a few mm from getting a good result at our hardest away fixture.

It is all about how we react though. I do get the sense that we have a better mentality than in previous years, but this will be our first test of that. 

Looking at both team's schedules to the end of the season, with my cynical pessimist's hat on, I can see City winning every game. The trickier ones they have are at home. 

Looking at ours, I can see us dropping some points in a couple but my judgement is still clouded by previous seasons where we'd draw against West Ham or something. 

I think we might drop 6 points, they might drop 4 if we're lucky. It could come down to goal difference.

I do think it's really beneficial that the next game is the FA Cup. If we're going to wobble let it be there and go out to Wolves if need be. After that we're back against Brighton which has banana skin written all over it but is also one of the few ties you might pick if you were still feeling a bit wobbly and wanted to get back on track.

It's doable, but we really need to stay as new Liverpool with no slip ups and Lovren seems determined to prove he's the best defender in the world (of Man City's title).

32 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Are you always so bitter Pockets?

I'm disappointed about yesterdays result but it is still in our hands we are 4 points clear.

Onto the next game.

Where's the bitterness? Cynical? Yes. pessimistic? Yes. I'm not bitter about anything, I don't know where people are getting that from. This is meant to be a thread talking about Liverpool - my opinions are clearly less rose-tinted than everyone else's but that's because I take a certain amount for granted. We've done amazingly well to be in the position we are, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that to win the league from this position looks very difficult in my opinion despite what historic points total and positions and pundits might say. 

I'm looking to the future and assessing our chances of winning the title. I'd say that's quite positive. To be saying they're slim when we're 4 points clear in Jan might seem ridiculously pessimistic but I've been a Liverpool fan for 33 years so that might be why. It's also the reality of the situation. The league is different to how it ever has been. There are three teams amassing unprecedented points totals and that's what we need to keep up with. It's the fact that we've done so well to this point that makes it hard to believe we can keep it up.

Pissed off with Lovren, yes. Unsure why Hendo keeps getting played when we've got better, yes. Is that bitterness? I dunno.

Anyway, I'm clearly pissing people off so I'll stop posting.

Yeah i think bitterness is the wrong word, you are just very pessimistic.

4 points clear is much better than I hoped at this point of the season, fuck what the pundits say, this isn't over yet and 3 teams are in it at the moment. We are in a strong position but City are the champions and there is a reason for that, they are brilliant. IF we lose the title from here all we will here forever from other fans is Liverpool bottled it , we all know that's nonsense, but other fans are just jealous at where we are at the moment. City know they have to go on a sensational run to win this league this year, the pressure is on them.

29 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Where's the bitterness? Cynical? Yes. pessimistic? Yes. I'm not bitter about anything, I don't know where people are getting that from. This is meant to be a thread talking about Liverpool - my opinions are clearly less rose-tinted than everyone else's but that's because I take a certain amount for granted. We've done amazingly well to be in the position we are, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that to win the league from this position looks very difficult in my opinion despite what historic points total and positions and pundits might say. 

I'm looking to the future and assessing our chances of winning the title. I'd say that's quite positive. To be saying they're slim when we're 4 points clear in Jan might seem ridiculously pessimistic but I've been a Liverpool fan for 33 years so that might be why. It's also the reality of the situation. The league is different to how it ever has been. There are three teams amassing unprecedented points totals and that's what we need to keep up with. It's the fact that we've done so well to this point that makes it hard to believe we can keep it up.

Pissed off with Lovren, yes. Unsure why Hendo keeps getting played when we've got better, yes. Is that bitterness? I dunno.

Anyway, I'm clearly pissing people off so I'll stop posting.

Cynical or Pessimistic is the better word than bitter, apologies.

Carry on posting, we all get your worries about the team. All the media talk about this is our year is just hyping it all up & after yesterdays result just adds more pressure. Poor performance by players like Lovren, Arnold yesterday frustrates us all.

I think it is very harsh to say Lovren and Trent performed poorly. Sure pretty much every chance Man City created could be tracked back to Lovren, but Man City are a world class side, and they had the lowest xG they have had all season at Home. Our entire team were the reason for that including the defenders. Both their goals were excellent finishes from low % scoring opportunities [EDIT: Man City's xG was at 0.3 on the 80th minute, ours was 1.2, their chances after that came with us chasing the game].

I think the small things went against us last night, and a draw was a fair reflection of the game and would have been an excellent result for us.

I think there is a difference (at least, one that I can feel) between the "this is our year" from 08/09 and 13/14 and this season. Those years felt like we were playing above expectations. This season feels more like this is something we could repeat next year.

Even if we don't win it this season, I'm confident that we could put together a similar set of results in future seasons.

15 minutes ago, rjpageuk said:

I think it is very harsh to say Lovren and Trent performed poorly. Sure pretty much every chance Man City created could be tracked back to Lovren, but Man City are a world class side, and they had the lowest xG they have had all season at Home. Our entire team were the reason for that including the defenders. Both their goals were excellent finishes from low % scoring opportunities [EDIT: Man City's xG was at 0.3 on the 80th minute, ours was 1.2, their chances after that came with us chasing the game].

I think the small things went against us last night, and a draw was a fair reflection of the game and would have been an excellent result for us.

There were quite a few instances from Arnold/Lovren when clearing the ball it went to the opposition. Sane had the better of Arnold most of the game.

No one is surprised about Lovren though are they? Like seriously, he's 4th choice at best, unfortunately we have injuries to two centre backs.

TAA didn't have his best game, he usually has Sane in his pocket.

I think the issue was playing both Milner and Henderson against their midfield. Milner didn't look fit either.

For the people moaning about the midfield, I was confident he'd go back to the 4-3-3 for this one to prevent them playing a back 3 and strangling us in our half. We looked a lot better once we switched to the 4-2-3-1 for sure but it also coincided with the game becoming very open as both teams started pushing. 

I expect that's the last we'll see of the 4-3-3 for a good while, and I have to say it feels pretty good! As CJ already said, this challenge feels like part of the process rather than just a crazy run in the perfect storm. Just take a look back to the start of last month. City were top, we were chasing. We lost Gomez, Matip and Trent to injury, all at the start of the  toughest month of the season. People were pointing at Salah's lack of goals and calling him a one season wonder. The team played great and answered every question asked of them emphatically. 

Trent was good yesterday as well. I really don't understand what people expect. Is it realistic to expect that any fullback, nevermind one so young and still learning - is going to keep Sane so quiet that he has no chances and does nothing for a whole game? Lovren came apart at the seams in the end but he's fourth choice and is only playing because two other guys are injured. 

This team is for real. We don't have to play City every week, or even again at all this season. It's going to be OK; have some faith.

They must be paying big loan fees, especially for Clyne. I suppose Milner will fill in for Alexander Arnold if required but I also hope they have included a recall clause if things get desperate. He showed he could still do a job against United.

Surprised about Solanke, thought we'd be loaning him out somewhere not selling. Bit odd to get rid of Clyne, hopefully we have some new players coming in because we need more squad depth if we want to compete in all remaining competitions. 

What happened to Jordon Ibe? What is happening to Jordon Ibe? What is Jordon Ibe? 23 years old is not even young when Sterling is 24 (also exact same birthday). Not noticed him play but really MOTD highlights of Bournemouth matches are all i have to go on. At the time his composure, physicality, powerful shot and confidence while not an upgrade on Sterling (obviously) it did seem he had real quality. Watching English talent burst through and disappear into insignificance is so disappointing.

He should have stayed at Liverpool & he would have flourished under Klopp.

Followed his agents advice & went chasing for the big bucks. Is now probably more concerned about what to spend his money on instead of focusing on his game.

Agree it is a shame to see potential talent get wasted.

He didn't stay at Liverpool because he wasn't good enough. Whether or not that was attitude or ability only those closely involved know.

The club wouldn't sell a player they believe to have potential to contribute to the first team. It's been proven by Ibe's form at Bournemouth.