IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

To be honest I've felt he's been hard done by. Many of his supposed errors weren't as bad as people have made out.

That one was very very poor though.

Well it was a hard game to watch as Stoke were constantly harrying and pressing, I felt that with a bit more quality (well, any kind of quality) from all the corners and decent free-kick positions they had the result could have been very different. I don't think there's any denying the game changed on two penalties - a very soft one that we got, and a very lucky one (Suarez's handball) that we got away with. What was he doing with his arms there? Even so, back to 4-3 and I started to tense up again!

We've been shipping too many goals though, the lack of clean-sheets is worrying. And yes, Mignolet made a couple of good saves but 'keepers are - unfairly or not - remembered a lot for the clangers they drop and he has had at least 4 so far this season, which is too many for a top player in only 21 games. It's fortunate that it doesn't seem to affect his confidence, unlike James and Freidel when they were with us.

Good to have Sturridge back, and contributing straight away is a real bonus. Now is an important period for the club to signal its intent for the rest of the season. We desperately need some reinforcements, ideally ready to strengthen the bench at least for the Everton game. I'd say that the teams competing around us (Man U, Tottenham and Newcastle) have deeper squads so it is important to not look back at the end of the season and suggest that tiredness of the same 11 always playing cost us. Everton are in the same position as us, of course; they also need a bigger pool of players to realistically compete for the first team.

Villa at home coming up - now given that only 3 teams have scored fewer than them, I'm expecting at at least a couple from them next week :P

Does anyone think that Cissohko is a bit of a liability? He's definitely the weakest link in the team. His touch at times seems to be awful and he doesn't get past player like you'd want him to. Think if rather have Enrique (when he's fit) back there tbh.

He's certainly looked nervy a lot of the time he's played, he's never really imposed himself in a game. In fact, I'm struggling to think of any appearance where he got above 'alright'? Enrique will slot back in straight away I imagine - which I guess is the biggest indication of how Cissohko has performed, given Enrique's own patchy form.

Never look forward to the game at Stoke, so happy with getting the win. Really showing the best and worst of Liverpool this game. Great goals from Suarez and Sturridge but some very poor defending at the other end.

Good and bad of Mignolet too, made a couple of great saves but could have probably done better with the ones that went in.

Very fortunate too I guess, what with the own goal, Stoke defensive fuck up and the soft penalty/Sterling hand ball. Fair play to Stoke, put in a great (mostly clean) performance and arguably maybe deserved something from the game.

So pleased Sturridge is back and linking with Suarez again immediately.

Sturridge and Suarez link up for the 4th was brilliant, but shows how important it is to have more than one world class striker and that they can link up.

I would imagine that today's game would have great for the neutral but it wasn't really fun for us fans.

Injuries can't be helped when it comes to the back four though. Even the injury Sturridge suffered changed how the team set up.

If the squad was big enough players could slot in to positions as direct replacements but currently that's not how it works.

Increasingly encouraged by sterling, he is looking very good and he gets his head up after beating players. Just imagine an English winger who can actually beat a player and use the ball after, revelatory stuff.

I totally heart Coutinho but the guy finishes like Puncheon. Pretty sure his secret plan is to manage to have an entire set of 10 goal of the season contenders missed by the final MOTD - reckon he's already on 2 at least.

I was saying that the other day and yesterdays game was no different unfortunately. He needs to speak to Suarez to ask how he suddenly became so prolific.

As for the game, my god we cannot defend and I'm sure that is why Mignolet is making what looks like silly mistakes, he just has no confidence in his back 4. Skrtel backed off and off for Adams goal, the Crouch header Toure was in no mans land and the 3rd was a farce. Currently we look like Newcastle under Keegan and we cannot keep playing that way.

Why are we unable to defend a 2 goal lead?

Why do we struggle to close out games?

Why do we look like a school team trying to score 6 or 7 goals every time we play?

We need a mixture of Rafa's shut up shop tactics and Rodgers attacking flair cause unfortunately I think we could come unstuck otherwise.

Back to fourth though which is great news.

Yeah that's what I meant...:D, also he scored a important goal against Everton, If I remember right somebody hit it from miles out and hit the bar then Luis scored a header and Nigel Martyn was shaking his head, this was important at the time because they were direct rivals for qualifying for CL, at the time of the game you would never of thought we'd win the thing

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread