IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Challenge for the title? That was never on. We go into every transfer window needing more and more. He's got guys that are all wrong for the way he's supposedly trying to play, and what's worse, he's playing them every week. I'm not going to rip into him because we lost this game, but I've been moaning about this stuff since the summer.

It's simple, really. If you want to play a possession game, you need to pick a team that can keep the ball. Can he do that, even with everyone fit? No. Because he's spent money on players that don't suit that style, and he's kept hold of others that don't suit that style. If we wanted success with the players available, surely the best thing to do would be to play compact and press high. Oh well; can't wait to see what madness takes place next month.

Well, Hull have been the best team by a distance, so can't really complain in that respect. And, I suppose, we are slipping back down the table to perhaps where the team is - in many of our games we've been second-best and our away form has been pretty poor all season.

Today has been terrible though - against a team that has packed the edge of the box with 5, 6, 7 players at times, the team has still looked to try and play little one-twos in front of them rather than use any width. Even more bizarre was trying to play little, cute passes without Coutinho starting? Couldn't agree more with dogsout, Rodgers just doesn't seem to know what team to pick, nor what system to stick with and so does that odd mix-and-match that doesn't work at all.

By the end of the day we could drop to 5th, which is still decent, but with everybody down to 9th quite bunched-up it could quite quickly turn into a mini-slide down the table. At least the next game comes around quickly.

Commentary saying how great he's been too, a few mins before. Quality stuff.

This shows why we cannot challenge for the title.

Anybody who seriously thought that was on was massively deluded. Like dogsout, I've been quite critical of a lot of our games this season (as has been mentioned :P ) even when we've won, because we've rarely imposed ourselves on the opposition outside of little 5-10 minute spells here and there. Teams that are prepared to attack us have done very well against us and rescued games we should have finished-off. Defensively we've been very fragile, I can think of at least 3 or 4 games where Mignolet has had to make more than 3 top-class saves to preserve a result/stave-off a defeat and Rodgers doesn't seem to know his best backline whether we play 4 or 5.

Our problems in midfield are at least 3 seasons old - we've lacked width for much longer than that, of course, but now added to that Rodgers either sticks 3 in there (so we get overrun too easily) or persists with Moses when he's been rubbish. Surely Allen should be at least given a chance to play himself back into form - his confidence must be destroyed by now due to being frozen out. Henderson has been much-improved, but he is constantly being moved all over the pitch, Lucas just hasn't been the same since his injury and whilst I still think Gerrard has much to offer, I'm not sure he knows what role he is meant to take on with the constant shifting of personnel and systems around him.

Losing Sturridge for a fair length of time is a big blow, because - something I've also moaned about before - we don't really have a plan B and have no attacking options to call on. Aspas? Sterling? Moses? I'd be incredibly surprised if their goal-tally combined would be greater than Sturridge's total so far.

I said at the start of the season that top-5 would be an achievement, due to the quality of teams around us, and I stand by that. But when the team starts to throw away a good start, it is still frustrating.

Ha, just had a "Rodgers out" emphatically shouted out on 6-0-6. The guy also seemed to think that Sterling is a potential saviour and Rafa should have been brought back in the Summer. Made me chuckle, at least.

Anyway, he did mention one thing I hadn't heard - that Agger has now told Rodgers he wants out at the end of the season. Are there any good sources for that?

Not that I know of but that really wouldn't surprise me. How on earth Skrtel has found himself starting every game I'll never know. For what it's worth, I'd have Rafa back in a heartbeat. But then I'm a sentimental old fool like that. I'm just so disappointed at the way things have unfolded under Rodgers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want him out or anything. Just that when he came in, he was supposed to be bringing a vision for the future, and a philosophy that would propel the club and reinvigorate its identity. How many times during the first half of last season were points dropped but you felt happy with the performance? Loads, for me. I liked the look of this new, pass and move style (yeah, I know). When he switched to a counter-attacking style in January I figured it was just him making the best of what he had until he could sort it out in the summer. That summer window turned out to be a farce and he's now gone into this season with the same old problems.

What happened to the philosophy he sold to the club? We are not controlling games. The centre of midfield is in an absolute mess. Even if Sturridge was fit, he'd be in a position where he'd want to play 2 up, meaning he's sacrificing numbers, and thus, control in the midfield.

Bleurgh. Whatever. I can't even be bothered any more.

Awful performance.

Felt a bit bad for Skrtel, was unlucky with the deflection and OG as apart from that he was doing well - had to keep covering for Flanagan who isn't ready for first team action. Still I wish Agger had played instead - or as well in a 3 CB formation.

What was happening with Moses and Sterling, always thought Raheem was a LW and Moses preferred the right, most of the game they were sat out the other way and looked shite. When they did swap sides they seemed to improve, a bit.

Looked a bit better when Coutinho came on, but not much.

Need Sturridge back and a proper LB asap.

Dreams of a top 4 finish are fading fast.

Firstly I have to say I haven't seen the game, but from the team line up I was not surprised we lost the game. It seems like Rodgers doesn't know who to play in defence. All good football teams have a steady back four and we seem to chop and change it every week- with or without injuries being the reason. Why on earth did we play toure and Skrtel? Why was Moses back in the team from the start and Sterling as well? Hull away is a game we should be winning but it's also a game I'm not surprised we lost as we have been making these same mistakes for two years now. Our team isn't short so why can't we defend set pieces.... It can only be down to lack of training.

As someone said above, we aren't playing this all conquering possession football as promised and as he seems to be bringing in the players he wants I can only think he isn't too hot in the transfer market. With Sturridge out, even with some relatively "easy" games coming up I still think we are fucked.

Rodgers made reference to the fact Liverpool have had a lot of injuries in defence which has meant he has had to chop and change almost every game in his interview after the game. I assume this means there was an issue with Agger / Sakho hence Toure and Skrtel being the ones chosen for the game (and not just reference to full back issues).

I think a few people in this thread need to take a step back and moderate their views a little. None of us expected Liverpool to challenge for the title this year, and after a third of the season we find ourselves in 4th place which is a great result and big improvement on the past few seasons.

Of course there are issues, but some of the comments in here (after admittedly our worst performance of the season) are a bit extreme.

I think with the good start we had and to be honest on paper people expected 3 points against Hull.

Thankfully not too much time to dwell on the result because the next match is on Wednesday vs Norwich.

From the seven games in December I would have liked at least 15 points, I still think we can achieve that.

Hull v Liverpool 3-1

Liverpool v Norwich Wed 4 Dec 19:45
Liverpool v West Ham Sat 7 Dec 15:00
Tottenham v Liverpool Sun 15 Dec 16:00
Liverpool v Cardiff Sat 21 Dec 12:45
Man City v Liverpool Thu 26 Dec 17:30
Chelsea v Liverpool Sun 29 Dec 16:00

10 points I can see from that lot although the way we play some days we could be on for 7!

I can't see us getting 15 as that would mean we'd have to be beating Man City or Chelsea at home after beating Spurs at home.

I think we could get 12 easily. Man City & Chelski I would not put it pass us to get a result but it will all come down to how we play on the day. I had expected 3 points from the Hull game so that would have given us 15.

I think a few people in this thread need to take a step back and moderate their views a little. None of us expected Liverpool to challenge for the title this year, and after a third of the season we find ourselves in 4th place which is a great result and big improvement on the past few seasons.

Of course there are issues, but some of the comments in here (after admittedly our worst performance of the season) are a bit extreme.

It wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction to yesterday; some of us have been saying this stuff since the summer. I don't see what's so extreme about wondering why he has abandoned the philosophy that got him the job. It's not all about the position in the league table for me - I'd like to see us progressing towards a style of play that will bring success; otherwise the club will be forever in transition.

It wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction to yesterday; some of us have been saying this stuff since the summer. I don't see what's so extreme about wondering why he has abandoned the philosophy that got him the job. It's not all about the position in the league table for me - I'd like to see us progressing towards a style of play that will bring success; otherwise the club will be forever in transition.

Not to sound like dogsout's echo here, but he's right, this isn't a knee-jerk reaction. If you go back to the start of the thread I was saying that 5th would be a good achievement because of the quality of the teams around us (and the investment other sides have made). It's also important to actually play good football - again I agree with his point here about the number of games last season where we properly dominated - against the big teams too - and had a little bit of ill-fortune or moment of madness - but they were performances that made you think we were making strides forward. The only equivalent game I've seen this season where I thought we were excellent was against Man U away - yeah, we lost, but we played with a rare freedom and confidence and looked great. Sure, we've had some good results, but even in our big wins against West Brom and Fulham we were on the back foot for a lot of those matches (the West Brom score was especially flattering in that respect.)

Plus, and this is important, it's all very well looking at the table in a vacuum and saying that 4th is great, but that is to ignore the fact that we actually had a great start to the season but have now taken just 4 points from the last 12. That early momentum has been squandered somewhat over the last 4 matches and we're now back in amongst 5 other sides with ambitions of at least 4th.

Finally, of the 2 Liverpool callers I heard on 6-0-6 yesterday, there was the "Rodgers Out" guy I mentioned above but the other chap said something that I agree with, which was that the fact we are still near the top is because the traditional top-teams have been having a bit of a patchy start - you'd expect Man U and Tottenham are going to come good and start putting some form together, Everton under Martinez have maintained their doggedness and should be there or thereabouts and Southampton could be this year's Swansea. Unless Rodgers can decide upon his best team and/or system (preferably both, of course) and stick with it, we could be trying to unearth some positives in finishing outside the top-5 again. Currently, playing good, consistent football would certainly not rank as one.

It'd be interesting to see some counter arguments (or even just thoughts) from some of you guys that are feeling more positive than me. I don't like coming in here moaning but I'm not going to just say nothing because there aren't many active posters in here these days.

I'd really like to see a positive line-up tonight; and by that I don't mean two strikers and two wingers.

It'd be interesting to see some counter arguments (or even just thoughts) from some of you guys that are feeling more positive than me. I don't like coming in here moaning but I'm not going to just say nothing because there aren't many active posters in here these days.

I'd really like to see a positive line-up tonight; and by that I don't mean two strikers and two wingers.

For me the positives are when we fuck up, we bounce back quickly and that Rodgers is still young and learning. The shift in emphasis is confusing me, as is the persistence with Skrtel (why does he play one season well, one season shit?).

I really wish we'd play Sakho more, as well as trying to figure out a solution to our midfield problem (because it's a huge problem when we're getting out paced and out fought in the middle of the park).