IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Some excellent analysis there dogsout, and I must confess that I had the game on in the background whilst I was doing something else so didn't appreciate the subtle change in formation.

We seem to be in a strange place this season, in that every team has been able to press us and have a lot of the ball, no matter which formation we adopt or starting eleven are picked. The only real measure of control I think we've had was Man U away in the league cup - that was the only game where I felt like I was watching a team that believed in themselves. Perhaps that was just the energy of Suarez returning (he was certainly buzzing that night) coupled with playing Man U that lifted the team, but we haven't been that dominant before or since (though been getting some good results).

Like last season I'm also concerned that the scoring is coming from 2 (instead of 1 as per last year) players, and the rest of the team aren't really chipping-in; given our set-up it's hard to see that changing outside of set-plays - and we've generally been dreadful from corners in particular for a long, long time.

How would your preferred formation work when we don't have the ball? Would you expect Henderson and Suarez to drop back and, if so, isn't the danger there that Sturridge becomes isolated - which in turn would almost force us (even more) to rely on quick counter-attacks unless we were building from the back? Sturridge isn't really known for looking to hold play up to wait for support, after all...

Off the ball I'd want them pressing high as a compact unit. Basically what we were doing at the end of last season. I'm not expecting them to turn into Dortmund over night or anything!

I said as much at the time, but we really ballsed up in the summer. If we'd have managed to get Diego Costa, we'd be laughing. Hopefully they address it in January but it's pretty fucked - how is he supposed to compete if he's having to throw a team together out of odds and ends? How many transfer windows before it gets put right? I know there are mitigating circumstances but missing out on all those attacking targets, only to end up with a couple of defenders and some rough potential on loan shouldn't be seen as anything but abject failure.

I just wish he knew what his best team is but I don't think he does. The fact that he opted to change the system when he brought Coutinho on leads me to believe we're in for some 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-2-2 in the coming games, as he tries to find the balance without sacrificing the strike partnership. Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll revert to the system that the team seemed to be growing into towards the end of last season. If he doesn't want to have a look at Suarez wide in the 'three', he can just go back to exactly how we were set-up while Suarez was banned and just play him where Aspas was playing. Done.

The fact that he opted to change the system when he brought Coutinho on leads me to believe we're in for some 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-2-2 in the coming games, as he tries to find the balance without sacrificing the strike partnership. Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll revert to the system that the team seemed to be growing into towards the end of last season. If he doesn't want to have a look at Suarez wide in the 'three', he can just go back to exactly how we were set-up while Suarez was banned and just play him where Aspas was playing. Done.

Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Cissoko, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge.

So which is it? :omg:

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread