IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

If Suarez is off in January you would have to start at 60m before we even talk to anyone, speaking of January if we can get there still in contention for a Champions League position it'll be fantastic, we have Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham, Chelsea & Man City away in the next 2 months

I don't know. Even if I wasn't watching Alan Hansen highlighting Arsenal's defensive frailties as I type this, I'd still look at Arsenal as something of a soft touch. Excellent going forward, but they've nobody to win the ball back in midfield and Suarez can have a lot of joy dropping deep to get the ball. It'll be a tough game, no doubt, but they'll be looking at it that way too.

A draw next week would be a great result for Liverpool. The defence still looks far too dodgy and given the form Giroud is in you'd fancy him to score next week. Arsenal can definitely be gotten at though and with Coutinho possibly back in the side Liverpool should at least create chances for Sturridge and Suarez.

If Suarez is off in January you would have to start at 60m before we even talk to anyone, speaking of January if we can get there still in contention for a Champions League position it'll be fantastic, we have Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham, Chelsea & Man City away in the next 2 months

Yeah December is the biggest test for us but I feel a lot more confident these days that we can get some kind of results from some of those games.

Arsenal have better cohesive play going forward as a team and are at home. We look a bit suspect under pressure and though they'll miss Flamini, our midfield looks a bit weak more often than not.

A draw would be a great result and as long as we do well, I don't mind what the score is.

Id take a draw on Saturday, Arsenal are playing really well at the moment and I still feel our defence is suspect. I'm just gutted I won't be able to watch it because of a damn wedding! :(

I'm expecting goals though, to much attacking talent on the pitch for it to be 0-0

I'm expecting goals though, to much attacking talent on the pitch for it to be 0-0

A draw would be nice. I wouldn't mind a loss if we at least give a good account of ourselves.

I am pretty pleased with how this season is going, and just wish we'd had the opportunity to have Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez all on the pitch at the same time at some point! There've been the familiar blips (Southampton, Swansea, Newcastle) but I definitely do feel like we've made progress from last season overall now.

I don't know. Even if I wasn't watching Alan Hansen highlighting Arsenal's defensive frailties as I type this, I'd still look at Arsenal as something of a soft touch. Excellent going forward, but they've nobody to win the ball back in midfield and Suarez can have a lot of joy dropping deep to get the ball. It'll be a tough game, no doubt, but they'll be looking at it that way too.

"No one to win the ball back in midfield", apart from two guys with some of the highest successful tackle rates in the league. You're just talking in clichés there.

Trust me, we're not getting caught on the break all the time, which is why Hansen had to use a clip from three years ago to illustrate his stupid point. We now take a more compact shape without the ball and try to restrict the opposition to long pot shots (Napoli was a perfect example of this). Consequently we have less possession than a couple of years ago.

What I'm worried about as an Arsenal fan is your formation: it's not that often we come up against two strikers these days, and without Walcott we could also be forced to play a narrow midfield which plays into your hands somewhat.

"No one to win the ball back in midfield", apart from two guys with some of the highest successful tackle rates in the league. You're just talking in clichés there.

I can't find tackle success rates, but looking at the number of tackles and interceptions per game, your highest tackling midfielder (Ramsey) commits almost 1 foul for every 2 tackles he makes, as well as making relatively few interceptions, and your second highest tackling midfielder (Arteta, who will be suspended anyway) makes a fair chunk fewer tackles and even fewer interceptions. There's a lot of things to like about Arsenal right now, but I don't think the defensive qualities of your midfield are amongst them.

Arteta is suspended for the cup game on Wednesday only.

Trust me, we're not getting caught on the break all the time, which is why Hansen had to use a clip from three years ago to illustrate his stupid point. We now take a more compact shape without the ball and try to restrict the opposition to long pot shots (Napoli was a perfect example of this). Consequently we have less possession than a couple of years ago.

What I'm worried about as an Arsenal fan is your formation: it's not that often we come up against two strikers these days, and without Walcott we could also be forced to play a narrow midfield which plays into your hands somewhat.

On the other hand, your forwards should have fun with our backline, so really I'd be amazed if there weren't goals in it. You just look more mature going forward, whereas we have more individual ability in our attack. Unless Aspas plays...

I thought Hansen showed a clip from three years ago and then another from your Villa game this year to show that there had been no change. Not saying it was good punditry, but I am pretty sure they showed the Villa third goal from this year too straight after as means of comparison and that that was his point.

I thought Hansen showed a clip from three years ago and then another from your Villa game this year to show that there had been no change. Not saying it was good punditry, but I am pretty sure they showed the Villa third goal from this year too straight after as means of comparison and that that was his point.

Villa we were down to 10 men and had no Arteta or Flamini. Total anomaly and scarcely relevant to how we've defended in 2013.

To be honest, I can see you lining up like you did against Spurs:

Szczesny; Mertesacker, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Gibbs; Rosicky, Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Cazorla; Giroud

But with Ozil instead of Walcott and playing much narrower. We don't really have width and your pitch is wider than ours so you could easily play it narrow and get away with it.

It's the late kick off, right? Should be a decent game.

It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers sticks with the same formation away to the league leaders or whether he'll look to switch back to a flat back 4, like against Man U at Old Trafford in the cup (the only other big team we've played away).

I think there's an opportunity to get at Arsenal; Crystal Palace had a number of good spells at the weekend and dictated the play at times, for example. Obviously they have a lot of talent in the offensive areas that is working very well together at the moment (as noted above) whereas I do still feel at times that we have a front-pairing that are playing for themselves first and foremost (the occasions are fewer, but still there).

Looking forward to it, at any rate.

It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers sticks with the same formation away to the league leaders or whether he'll look to switch back to a flat back 4, like against Man U at Old Trafford in the cup (the only other big team we've played away).

We played 3 at the back in that game.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread