IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

That's a partnership.... both been quiet most of the game, then BOOM

I am very happy to have my concerns about their partnership proved more and more baseless as the weeks go on and they get more playing time together.

Well, on paper that's 2 points very much dropped - in most cases, 50 minutes against 10 men and you'd expect a result.

In reality, we only played for 5 minutes of the first half and 20 in the second, Newcastle got a deserved and quite comfortable point in the end. Again, we didn't have any options from the bench to call on, I've bemoaned Sterling's averageness for a long while now and Alberto hasn't settled at all (though he's had very few minutes on the pitch), which leaves only Allen (who, even when he was playing well, isn't a creator). It's something that needs addressing if we want to stay in the hunt over the coming months.

Completely as an aside, the pattern of our season so far is that we only win if we score first; go behind and we lose or draw. I know that doesn't mean anything or point to any tactical issue, but I just find it mildly interesting.

I wouldn't say it was 2 points dropped just for the fact we were never in the position to take 3 points to begin, should've done better against a 10 man side of course but probably got what the performance deserved

That's why I said 'on paper it was 2 points dropped' - because the performance wasn't good enough against 10 (let alone 11).

A lack of concentration and composure at both ends cost us today. Everyone's moaning about Mignolet for the first but Cissokho was far more culpable, for me. He should have closed Cabaye down - he can't expect one of the CBs to break their line to apply pressure there, and there was no overlap to concern himself with. He was asleep for the second goal as well - the way he turned around (looking surprised to find there was still 6 yards worth of pitch behind him) after seeing the ball in the net probably would have been funny if I hadn't been so annoyed to see us concede again. Poor defending for both goals.

And then going forwards everyone just hoofs it over again and again. It was made even more frustrating because of the amount of options that were ignored each time. Yet it kept happening.

Fair play to Newcastle. They were prepared and their tactics worked. It's a shame that all it seems to take is a bit of organised pressure, and some sneaky shirt-pulling to throw us off our game. Well, that stuff and international breaks.

Coutinho can't come back soon enough. I think he'll transform our play going forward but also won't just leave our midfield pair to get on with it on their own - unlike Moses.

A lack of concentration and composure at both ends cost us today. Everyone's moaning about Mignolet for the first but Cissokho was far more culpable, for me. He should have closed Cabaye down - he can't expect one of the CBs to break their line to apply pressure there, and there was no overlap to concern himself with. He was asleep for the second goal as well - the way he turned around (looking surprised to find there was still 6 yards worth of pitch behind him) after seeing the ball in the net probably would have been funny if I hadn't been so annoyed to see us concede again. Poor defending for both goals.

And then going forwards everyone just hoofs it over again and again. It was made even more frustrating because of the amount of options that were ignored each time. Yet it kept happening.

Fair play to Newcastle. They were prepared and their tactics worked. It's a shame that all it seems to take is a bit of organised pressure, and some sneaky shirt-pulling to throw us off our game. Well, that stuff and international breaks.

Coutinho can't come back soon enough. I think he'll transform our play going forward but also won't just leave our midfield pair to get on with it on their own - unlike Moses.

I don't think the international break really had much to do with it, in nearly all of our games this season we've looked second-best whenever the opposition takes the game to us.

A positive I shall take is that Sakho is looking a good now, although he's a little too keen to go to ground in and around the area at times.

I agree that we've struggled when put under pressure but we are always shit after international breaks and that goes back as far as I can remember. I was expecting us to fuck it up today purely based on that trend.

We're one game closer to Coutinho's return, at least.

Just a quick one on Cissokho, looked pretty poor in the wing back position and not at all comfortable , he did not appear to have any clue as to what he was at for Newcastle's 2nd. Seemed much more comfortable in a flat back four and a nice last ditch tackle on Remy.

And Henderson did pretty well again.

How is Andre Wisdom? Loaned to Derby. Looks as though we'll play him at centre back as that's where we're struggling. Joint top scorers in the league but our defence has been awful.

At times he looks amazing, at times he doesn't know where he's supposed to be. Decent technique for a defender and has great energy. Don't be surprised if his positioning looks suspect at times or if he panics on the ball. He played quite a few games last season though so at least he has Premiership and European experience.

Sturridge could have got a couple in the last two minutes. Good driving play from left to right from Gerrard to Johnson. Low cross catches the back of Suarez and comes quickly to Sturridge who knocks it over. Then a strong solo run from the right wing with a hefty left foot shoot that hit the bar.

Very good game. Very, very good.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread