IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

BOOM! TAKE IT! Who remembers the 6-1 some 20 years ago.

Suarez coming back - I reckon that's good for Sturridge too. Competition. I bet they both want to outscore each other.

No injuries please!

The irony of Suarez being banned is that it appears to have made Sturridge better, and thus us a better team.

Now a really good second half would be nice. DESTROY THEM!

Great to see us looking to force the play right from the start, the team have been looking to score every time they move forward. Had a little bit of luck though, Skrtel should be on a yellow and it was a really soft penalty that I never like to see (either given in our favour or against us). Great play by Moses for the first goal (I thought he'd overrun it it and broken the move down) and lovely improvisation from Suarez. Sturridge took his goal brilliantly too - I was thinking Aguero's goal earlier was from a tight angle, but Sturridge's was squeezed ever further into the corner. Nice to see Stevie G score, too (though he didn't seem too enthused about it), good penalty right in the corner.

There's a good opportunity to bag some more goals here and really build some confidence going into the international break, be nice to see Sturridge score for England too. It helps that Palace's defending is terrible, of course.

The flip side is that, like last weekend, this aggressive formation does allow teams to have quite a bit of the play and we look light at the back. With some better composure Palace could have had a couple of goals and against better teams it could be our undoing. Still, it's entertaining!

Just on the amount of space that palace got on a couple of occasions, if Lucas was playing I'd expect him to be loitering in the general area and closing it down a bit better but it hasn't cost Liverpool so far.

Sakho does some wonderful things as a defender as well as some occasionally ropey ones.

Good result, and deserved, but possibly a bit flattering to us. Palace didn't play badly at all and had quite a few chances,

But who cares about the details - top of the league again for at least 24 hours!

I should have known better than to expect a good second half performance ;)

Palace had far too much of the ball and like Sunderland last week, too much space and far too many opportunities. My concern - shared by Mark Bright on the commentary - is that we look rather vulnerable at the back. Getting Johnson back will help, as it will mean having a proper right-back (even though I think Toure has played well). Agger and Sakho could be a good pairing - the ability on the ball of Agger paired with the no-nonsense defending of Sakho.

Just on the amount of space that palace got on a couple of occasions, if Lucas was playing I'd expect him to be loitering in the general area and closing it down a bit better but it hasn't cost Liverpool so far.

Sakho does some wonderful things as a defender as well as some occasionally ropey ones.

Just to pick up on that, Lucas didn't really do that last week at Sunderland, who had 20-odd chances I think? So it's not something he'll solve. It's the trade-off with the system we use - we'll be a bit Newcastle-ish (great going forward, but rather open at the back). I do think it cost us against Swansea though (not so much the Southampton game because I don't think anything could have saved that performance), and we were outplayed by Villa, so our results have flattered us a little I think.

That said, Sakho looks to have settled a bit now after a nervy first few games, Sturridge and Suarez are scoring and we're winning games. As I said after last week, our fixtures are quite kind up until Christmas so if we can shore-up a bit at the back I think we could be in a strong position come the festive season - especially if teams continue to drop unexpected points - 3 draws tomorrow would suit me fine :D

Getting Johnson back will help, as it will mean having a proper right-back (even though I think Toure has played well). Agger and Sakho could be a good pairing - the ability on the ball of Agger paired with the no-nonsense defending of Sakho.

Toure's not been at right-back since the Southampton game. Johnson would have taken the place of Sterling in today's team - a clear upgrade and something to look forwards to, for sure.

Rodgers has made so much of his desire to pair Suarez with Sturridge that it is now clear this change in formation isn't just a temporary measure. His insistence of playing them together means that the only other viable formation we could use (when they're both selected) is 4-3-1-2 - and we definitely don't have the options in CM to consider that.

I think it's important that we're patient while they settle into this new system. Palace had more of the ball than we'd have liked and there's still plenty of flaws to iron out, but we look pretty good on the whole, and we're scoring goals again. The signs are good. :)

SMD, on 05 Oct 2013 - 19:18, said:

We could also do 4-3-3 now we have Moses. But having Gerrard and Lucas in the same midfield now isn't very good for our pressing.

There's also the small problem of what you do with Sturridge and Suarez in that formation. I think it's pretty clear that the 3-4-1-2 is here to stay, thankfully.

Wait a minute. SMD!? How the fuck are ya?

Ep20_al_cheers-thumb.jpg

Toure's not been at right-back since the Southampton game. Johnson would have taken the place of Sterling in today's team - a clear upgrade and something to look forwards to, for sure.

Rodgers has made so much of his desire to pair Suarez with Sturridge that it is now clear this change in formation isn't just a temporary measure. His insistence of playing them together means that the only other viable formation we could use (when they're both selected) is 4-3-1-2 - and we definitely don't have the options in CM to consider that.

I think it's important that we're patient while they settle into this new system. Palace had more of the ball than we'd have liked and there's still plenty of flaws to iron out, but we look pretty good on the whole, and we're scoring goals again. The signs are good. :)

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you, the signs are good and I'm actually glad Rodgers has looked to incorporate both Suarez and Sturridge into a formation that makes sense with the players we have, rather than try to shoe-horn them for the sake of it. I've also been really impressed with Toure, and if he is going to stick with this formation then having him as one of the back 3 gives me comfort and confidence (as good as Skrtel once was, he just isn't the same player now). And 6 goals in 2 league games is a bit of a goal bonanza for us so far this season, which is also good.

I think that the biggest hurdle at the moment is that our midfield 3 are rather neutered and have to be a bit more reserved; we still get overrun though, which allows teams like Southampton, Sunderland and Palace today to get a lot of the ball and build pressure. I don't know the solution to that without compromising the free-flowing front-4 that operate, so it's a problem to solve. I agree Johnson in place of Sterling is something to look forward to.

Despite some grumbles, the last 3 games (today, Sunderland and Man U) have been far more exciting to watch than the previous fixtures this season which have largely been pretty awful on the eye, and I like it - it's almost a touch of the Keegan-era Newcastle at times but with a (slightly) more solid defence :D

Part of our problem in midfield is we've got two sitters, whereas the system suits more box-to-box players. You could argue that Gerrard could do that role but I don't think his legs will allow him to; not properly, anyway. Henderson did fairly well in such a role there today. I think the team will grow into the system, and getting guys like Coutinho, Johnson and even Allen and Cissokho back will help a lot.

We just need to keep picking up points and being there or thereabouts, keep Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho fit and on form. And we could be looking at a top four. I'm allowing myself to dream now.

Can we finish higher than 2 from Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs? Such a huge ask. It would be a big upset for those teams.

Really exciting season forming. We are still fully capable of losing lots of silly points. But so are the other teams it seems. We are also capable of beating anyone with everyone fit imo.

There's also the small problem of what you do with Sturridge and Suarez in that formation. I think it's pretty clear that the 3-4-1-2 is here to stay, thankfully.

Wait a minute. SMD!? How the fuck are ya?

It's difficult because the midfield is always the issue. I think Allen needs to come back for us to make sense of it. I get the feeling that this season we'll see Lucas eased out because he just doesn't have the legs to fit in. Serie A would be good for him.

And I'm fine, thanks for asking. Hope you and yours are doing well :hat:

Part of our problem in midfield is we've got two sitters, whereas the system suits more box-to-box players. You could argue that Gerrard could do that role but I don't think his legs will allow him to; not properly, anyway. Henderson did fairly well in such a role there today. I think the team will grow into the system, and getting guys like Coutinho, Johnson and even Allen and Cissokho back will help a lot.

Whilst Allen (in his first few games for the club) showed that he can make some surging runs from midfield, he's nowhere near good enough to be a box-to-box player - he's a guaranteed free-kick-conceding machine whenever he tracks back. He's not got much pace, either, and looks knackered as soon as the whistle blows. I'm not sure he'll fit in this system any better than he did last season. I recall when we got him, a lot of the talk was around the idea of him playing as the furthest forward of a midfield-5?

What role do you see for Moses when Coutinho is back?

I reckon Allen would be quite suited to a box-to-box role, particularly for a Rodgers team. He's mobile, and he's always available to receive a pass. I think he struggles when asked to sit deep and shield the back-line but if you paired him with Henderson, for example, I could see them complimenting each other - as daft as that probably sounds. Obviously everyone would rightly prefer Stevie to either of them, but I do think SMD's inkling on Lucas will prove accurate.

Moses will be on the bench, used as cover for the strikers, attacking-midfield and the right, I'd guess.

And I'm fine, thanks for asking. Hope you and yours are doing well :hat:

We are indeed.

there's a certain team in italy who's manager would propably be very interested in lucas if he were to be available.It .looks like he's lost a 1/2 yard of what wasn't originally great pace to begin with.

Just a thought- after watching the games this season it's pretty apparent (to me) that Gerrard runs out of puff midway through the 2nd half of games , I was thinking that he should be subbed off at the 70 minute mark to allow someone with a bit more energy on , usually to help close out games.

The problem is right now we don't have anyone. Lucas' injury just seems to have taken too much physically and his brain just can't compensate. Where he was an intercepting machine, now he's getting to challenges late and getting turned more easily.

It's a shame but that's football and there's no reason why a move to Italy couldn't work out for all parties. He's still got a lot to offer on a continental level and I think we could easily sell him for a fee that'll let us buy a comptent replacement that will shore up our midfield's deficiencies.

Really it's all pretty good so far isn't it? We can expect a dip in form at some point yet if you'd have said pre-season we'd be well up there after a couple of months then I'd have taken it!

Is Rodgers going to get us playing a bit like Barca? Defense, Pscht!

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread