rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

I've heard Messi could be on his way. Just throwing it out there to see if the rumour grows to the point where it becomes a potential reality which is what I think all the other places are doing.

If a side has big money like Chelsea or Man City they can challenge within 4 years. For us, as at Man Utd in the 80s, we need to put our faith in a guy and let him steadily build over 10 years or more.

Didn't Rodgers spend more over the last three years than both Chelsea and Arsenal?

Didn't Rodgers spend more over the last three years than both Chelsea and Arsenal?

Quite possibly on transfers, not wages, but they are in a position of building on a solid foundation. We weren't. Also a few Liverpool targets went to those clubs, notably Chelsea. And to be fair I think everyone has spent more money than Arsenal, much to their own supports dismay at times.

To overcome location and current status of not a certainty to be challenging for trophies/Champions League you need to pay over the odds, just as City and Chelsea did to break into the position they have held over recent years.

I'd agree we've done some terrible business in that time in the transfer market, but I personally think that's an issue that pre-dates Rodgers by a decade or two. Sadly in recent times any signs of putting out a team that could compete with a couple of key additions have been thrown out the window as we lose the key players and start again.

631.png Chelsea FC £-16.11m £5.95m £-37.04m £-57.58m £-49.74m £-154.51m 281.png Manchester City £-94.66m £-44.82m £-73.01m £-12.36m £-46.45m £-271.28m 11.png Arsenal FC £-10.01m £-62.54m £-28.17m £9.91m £8.97m £-81.84m 985.png Manchester United £-26.21m £-101.99m £-53.31m £-42.92m £-29.20m £-253.63m 148.png Tottenham Hotspur £-315k £550k £4.91m £-3.83m £23.66m £24.98m 31.png Liverpool FC £-16.49m £-36.69m £-16.02m £-40.01m £-29.80m £-139.00m

Net spend. Last 5 years, from left to right, total in the far right. Of course, just transfer fees, not including the astronomical wages the likes of City, Chelsea and United offer.

Source: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

• Upvote 2

There's relatively little correlation between high transfer fees and success, net spend might even be worse. Wages track success much more closely.

Net spend, the best thing ever.

It's realistic. No point in criticising Rodgers / LFC for spending money that partially came from selling some high profile players. It's all well and good saying £300 million spent but approximately 1/2 of that was raised from sales. Better to spend it than sit on it.

I also think it's different to have spent that on the number of players we have have rather than say, Man City's £100mn+ on just Sterling and De Bruyne. Whatever you think of those signings, they could easily afford to do that in a way we can't justify. That's the difference. We don't/can't blow big bucks on a star because it's too risky to put it all on one player and they won't come anyway, probably due to wages as others have pointed out.

Who was the last big star player we bought? Suarez wasn't when he came to us. I'm not sure it's something we've ever really done in the way other big clubs do. I'm not entirely sure we should either to be honest, as exciting as it is, I don't think there's a huge difference until you get to the likes of the £80mn+ players who are all in Spain.

I think that the biggest name players we bought in recent years has been Masch, Torres and Suarez. Neither of whom were the world beaters they became when they joined. We have always bought players who are more potential rather than the top tier finished article.

It would be nice for there to be an odd exception to the rule. If Arsenal can afford to bring in Sanchez and Ozil then why can't we?

I think that the biggest name players we bought in recent years has been Masch, Torres and Suarez. Neither of whom were the world beaters they became when they joined. We have always bought players who are more potential rather than the top tier finished article.

It would be nice for there to be an odd exception to the rule. If Arsenal can afford to bring in Sanchez and Ozil then why can't we?

Arsenal make a buttload more money than Liverpool, that's why. £50m more last season, for example.

Because Arsenal have got a bigger stadium and they've been in the Champion's league for 16 years whilst being based in London. Also, Firmino (who definitely counts as a big signing) was basically the same price as Sanchez.

I actually really hate how "the transfer market" has become its whole separate game that fans think their team is competing in. I'd rather just enjoy 11 vs 11 instead of deriving some pleasure from "Ha ha he cost £20m but he's playing like a £17m player by some arbitrary valuation system I have devised!" or whatever.

Maybe I should go support my local non-league team instead.

• Upvote 4

It's realistic. No point in criticising Rodgers / LFC for spending money that partially came from selling some high profile players. It's all well and good saying £300 million spent but approximately 1/2 of that was raised from sales. Better to spend it than sit on it.

Technically that's true but he still spent £300m+ regardless of if some of that cash came from the sale of players. A big amount of thay money spent on not very good players.

There are some duds in there, but I'm not sure you can call many of them not good players. We did seem to buy a lot of players that didn't seem to be what we required, or would fit easily into the style he was trying to play. Lambert wasn't a bad payer, but a bad signing. You could even argue that case for Mario too. Lovern though, he's on his own!

We seem to have three players that only play at their best in the number 10 role, Countinho, Lallana and Firmino. Lallana and Firmino are a lot of money in transfers. Personally I think you could argue the case for two of those three in the squad at best. One playing, one back-up/competition. I'll be interested to see how Klopp deals with this, because from what I've seen of those three players I can't see a formation that works with them all playing and we're not really in the position to have big money bench warmers when we have other frailties in the squad to address.

I think that's what I'm looking forward to most right now is to see how Klopp accesses the squad and to see if he can get more out of the signings we've made and what sort of formation we take on to utilise what we have.

No, the net spend chat. Its wheeled out, failures are highlighted, sky sports does the breakdown, blah, blah, blah. Its the worse thing in football chat since Steve Claridge was allowed to speak.

It's just dull. Where do we get by discussing it? Oh look our net vs their net vs theirs and oh maybe if this had happened...

It doesn't even show a true picture. We get worse players because players wouldn't come to us. So we panic buy and pay too much. Those failures arent worth the money and IM TALKING ABOUT IT AGAIN.

It is tiresome rubbish. Salivate over the stats all you want, I'd prefer to care about the actual football - regardless of how much the players cost.

That was exactly what I meant by the post, which I thought you'd get. Seems it was picked up by some.

Don't Klopp believing.

Good S-Klopp 7 song, that.

Edit: It's clearly not an S Club 7 song at all. But they probably sang the line once, so the joke is staying.

Over and Klopp out.