rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Sorry SMD not to be facetious but good defenders in the right positions should rarely fall over- they're not unbalanced or trying to recover and they're in (relative) control, if you're on the ground and you haven't taken the ball off the attacker or they're leaving you for dead, you've fucked up.

Same goes for mis kicking a ball , at that level their technique should be good enough, even as defenders, to be able to put their foot through it, even if they are under pressure.All the variables in the world working against you in these situations can be mitigated by being a good defender who is confident in what they're doing and the system they're doing it in- which looks to be a bit of an issue with Liverpool defenders at the moment.

• Upvote 1

I agree in general but look at Moreno versus Newcastle I think, just terrible clearance that gifted them a goal. He was in the right position but for some reason decides to try and punt it on his left when it suited his right.

When you get errors like that, it puts everyone defending off balance and it adds to the nervousness at the back. What are you meant to do other than say clear it with the proper foot you dozy prick?

Which is exactly what Lovren was supposed to be bringing. I agree that the first goal was easily more avoidable. I'm finding it a bit annoying that Skrtel gets all of the blame for being shit at his job, but Gerrard gets off without so much as a murmur about him being shit at his (for giving the freekick away in the first place). I love Gerrard but he is not a defensive mid.

Oh christ, I'm always ending up arguing with my dad over this! Gerrard is absolutely dreadful at that holding midfield position, but my dad says 'he's had 12 good years', to which I say that it doesn't mean anything if you're currently playing poorly. Gerrard's legs are not what they were. He needs to be an substitute attacking midfielder at best these days, because it's square pegs and round holes otherwise. Annoys me even more that Henderson has to drift down the wing when he's far better in the middle.

I know it's never easy to come on as a sub as a 'keeper, and I know he's got to be low on confidence, but Mignolet really is rubbish. I wouldn't trust him to be able to clear his diary, let alone a cross into the box. And why does he always kick it out to the right, often straight out of play?

Burnley are playing really well, and exactly how we should be capable of - pushing high up the pitch, pressing the ball, breaking with pace and purpose, actually creating chances. We are on the back foot and struggling to get hold of the ball and, when we have it, do anything meaningful.

I know Rodgers has to say he thinks we can get top-4, but we're miles away from it.

And yet again, there are gaps everywhere. The free shot they just had from the edge of the box. If that goes in are you guys that were solely blaming Skrtel the other day going to blame the defence again? Because the two CMs are stood behind him just watching as he takes the shot. They literally just let him take the shot.

All that playing this wide does is make it harder for us to keep the ball and easier for them to hurt us when they have it. I keep hearing about this philosophy but all I see is basic errors every week.

So far one of the most complete halves of football I have seen from Liverpool this season.

The system and the personnel just looks right. Henderson as captain works.

It seems it can be a 3-5-3, 5-2-3, 3-2-5 and just interchange as needed. If the win happens, would be nice to see this remain. There even seems to be a solidity towards the back as Lucas and Henderson keep charge of the back 3 and offer protection, allowing the wing backs to push on and offer support. Having Lucas also allows Henderson to push forward when Liverpool control the ball. More of the same please.

Leave Gerrard on the bench as a player that can come on and do damage if needed.

• Upvote 2

You've pretty much said everything I was going to say. Really working for us at the moment this setup and players. Good performances from all so far - hope we can keep it up.

Shelvey lucky to still be on.

Season starts here huh?!

Gerrard on the bench a sign of things to come I think. Henderson is like a different man when Gerrard isn't on.

Nice little flick for Lallana there and very well taken goal. He's definitely been the MOTM for us so far, he hasn't stopped all game.

Another goal would put us above them in the table wouldn't it based on head to heads?

JJ not having the greatest game - possible retrospective ban upcoming for that swipe on Can and now an own goal.

We'll actually have a positive goal difference if the result stays this way too!