rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

I don't think the players actually think they played well. They can't really come out in front of the cameras and say, "You're right, Geoff. We played shite!".

At least I hope they don't actually think they played well.

What? Of course they can, and players - in general, not just Liverpool players - often do (not in those exact words, of course.)

Really? I can't recall many players saying anything like that. I've heard them say it was a tough match and the other side made it difficult; that kind of thing. It'd be refreshing, sure, but I can't imagine the managers would approve.

And we got rid of Reina for that utter pile of shit we have in goal now!

Can we not just steal Cech from Chelsea, they don't need him.

• Upvote 1

Really? I can't recall many players saying anything like that. I've heard them say it was a tough match and the other side made it difficult; that kind of thing. It'd be refreshing, sure, but I can't imagine the managers would approve.

Well Gerrard has said a few times this season that we haven't been good enough (the Basel game springs to mind, for example). It's usually in line with the manager's views so it's a bit of towing the party line I guess, but it does happen.

I think we are forgetting that Reina was an utter pile of shit for his last two seasons here too. I doubt he'd have made any difference. Our problems in that position is that we've never had a good enough back up for years. Not since Carson left in my opinion. Our No 1's are not getting pushed for their position in the team so it's no surprise that complacency settles in.

I think Mignolet was good last season. Room for improvement of course. This season he like many others have seen their form nose dive. God knows what happened. There does seem to be a lack of chemistry at the back and I'm hoping that Toure can get a run in the team to sort it out.

I'd be surprised if Cech went to another English club, if he even was looking to leave - though I'd be very happy to have a keeper of his stature at Anfield.

Reina definitely went down a level after Rafa left, but he was still far superior to Mignolet. He controlled his area, left his area aggressively when required, and his distribution was as good as any other keeper anywhere. Mignolet needs replacing... and I'm sure he won't be the only one.

I think we are forgetting that Reina was an utter pile of shit for his last two seasons here too.

He made mistakes but was never as bad as Mignolet, never!

I think we are forgetting that Reina was an utter pile of shit for his last two seasons here too. I doubt he'd have made any difference. Our problems in that position is that we've never had a good enough back up for years. Not since Carson left in my opinion. Our No 1's are not getting pushed for their position in the team so it's no surprise that complacency settles in.

I think Mignolet was good last season. Room for improvement of course. This season he like many others have seen their form nose dive. God knows what happened. There does seem to be a lack of chemistry at the back and I'm hoping that Toure can get a run in the team to sort it out.

Dogsout has summed it up well, but even last season I had the same complaints (that he lacked authority in the area and didn't Marshall his defence.) Reina certainly dipped, but he was still a level above where Mignolet is.

Do Liverpool go in for Begovic? When Mignolet was signed it was because he was cheaper than Begovic.

A January goalkeeper signing would be very difficult because the decent keepers aren't going to be moving on half way through the season.

Valdes could be another signing but it looks like United are in clear pole position to get him.

I agreed with Neville last night saying the team probably still hasnt got over the end of last season, I think Steve Gerrard in particular is like a walking rain cloud

We look absolutely shite at doing anything full stop

Do Liverpool go in for Begovic? When Mignolet was signed it was because he was cheaper than Begovic.

A January goalkeeper signing would be very difficult because the decent keepers aren't going to be moving on half way through the season.

Valdes could be another signing but it looks like United are in clear pole position to get him.

I think Begovic is an improvement, but I think we need someone a level above him again. Anyone know much about Bernd Leno? Heard some good things about him recently

I agreed with Neville last night saying the team probably still hasnt got over the end of last season, I think Steve Gerrard in particular is like a walking rain cloud

We look absolutely shite at doing anything full stop

Think this is spot on, as much as we might see Gerrard try and drive the team on by talking and all the rest it looks like his enthusiasm is gone as he realises last season was his last best chance to win the league with the club.

Called it at the end of last season, to come so close and not win was a major blow and would have a massive affect on the team's mentality - Gerrard in particular.

Was the same last time we finished 2nd then had that disastrous season after.

:(

Both times didn't a player integral to the team leave?

Alonso couldn't be replaced and now its Suarez. Under Benitez the money wasn't spent to push on but Rodgers needed to strengthen the entire squad and that is what he has attempted. On both occasions you'd expect the team to fall back into the pack but this season has been a lot worse.

The theory behind each signing makes sense, during the summer I was happy with pretty much every signing and there was a mixture of youngsters and experience. Problem is though, the entire squad has been crap. Every single player has been poor this season, not one player has been consistent so clearly there is something more than just being found out post Suarez.

The decline needs to be arrested, and quickly.

Gerrard's been dropped. I hope he accepts that. He's been awful. Toure, Lucas and Lambert start, deservedly in my opinion. One bad news is that fella whose been masquerading as a footballer recently, what's his name? Yes Johnson, he still starts :(

Real bravery from Johnson, 1-0. Much, much better performance in the second half - energy, pressing and a bit better with the final ball. Still look weak with only 1 up top, but Lambert's done well with the little he's had to work with and may have been offside, but a great header that led to the goal. Good ball in to find him, too.

Hate seeing defenders come on for the last few minutes though, didn't work midweek and hope we don't throw it away again.

Rocky enough performance but you can definitely see a difference in the team with Lucas in for Gerrard. Why Rodgers then decided to bring Gerrard on in Lucas' place was baffling. Fair play to Johnson, I've been slagging him all season, so has everybody else and rightly so, but that run and commitment to the header despite the risk of injury was great.

Well it wasn't pretty (the first half was abysmal) or comfortable (dropped far too deep after scoring), but a big and much-needed win.

Tactically we looked pretty poor again though, why oh why play Lambert and then not give him any support? He was left far too isolated and, even for the goal, nobody was within 15 yards of him when the ball was played in. Looked a bit more solid at the back without Lovren but still too easy to play through.

What is sad is that - as BBC and the commentary liked to remind us - there was £87m of bought-in Summer talent on the bench and yet you wouldn't rely on any of them to get you/hold onto a result.

Still, there are positives from today - Sterling, Lambert and Toure all had good games and it's a win and a clean sheet. Let's hope we build on that Tuesday.

Gerrard's been dropped. I hope he accepts that. He's been awful. Toure, Lucas and Lambert start, deservedly in my opinion. One bad news is that fella whose been masquerading as a footballer recently, what's his name? Yes Johnson, he still starts :(

terrible news that! glad we managed to scrape through with him in the team dragging us down. :P

Always said that Johnson lad was a quality player.

Didn't see the game due to work. Saw the team lineup and was pleased to see Kolo and Lucas there (and Gerrard benched)

Surprised to see Enrique, how'd he do?

When I checked to see who scored it didn't compute. I was sat thinking "Johnson? Who's Johnson? Wait... Glen Fucking Johnson!? U wot m8"

Mignolet deserves some praise for winning us the match too with that incredible save from bojan in the 92 min.

It feels good to win a match again for a change!

Some praise? I was at the match and he was World Class terrible, as he's been for most of the games I've been at. His distribution is appalling, to the point where the crowd were whistling him and even Skrtel was imploring him to pass it short to one of our players instead of waving everyone up the pitch and then kicking it to an opposition player on the right at the half way line. Like he did every fucking time!

It ruins the confidence and composure of the defensive unit.

Mignolet didn't have a great deal to do and yes, he made a very good save late on - but that's exactly what you expect from a keeper as a standard. He also continued to miss crosses, was hesitant in his decision making (he should have come out and got the ball instead of allowing Diouf to get a shot away) and as pointed out above, his distribution is - and always has been - dreadful. And what was with the time-wasting over goal kicks in the first half?

It wasn't his worst game, but it wasn't exactly a stellar improvement - he still needs to be replaced.