Liverpool Football Club Thread - Home of the Curlett Cup Winners

1 minute ago, dizogg said:

Tbh it’s nice to see them ringing in the changes. Our performances have been dreary most weeks anyway, I’d rather see us try something a little bit different even if we end up losing.

Completely agree. Actually looking forward to the game because the changes might mean something different to the dreary last few months of home games.

Wow. No confidence in the result today, at all. Ah well, a couple of hours of squirming as they lose to a decent Fulham team isn't the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon, almost.

Salah got a lesson in defending, we look poor again. No idea when we are going to score next or win a game.

Deary me. It is something different, even worse dross than Thursday.

To be honest, Fulham should be a few more goals to the good.

I've been out shopping but heartily laughed when I just checked the score :lol:

What's the record for most home games lost in a row? :P

The next team we actually beat at home should automatically have to retire from all future football activities. How embarrassing for whoever that might be.

I guess this is the first time this team has ever regularly tasted defeat in the last few years and now we know they can't handle it. Who would've thunk it? 

No idea where the team goes from here, they clearly aren't playing for pride now (or the Europa league :P) and if they can't do that, what possible reason is there to think they can turn back into winners again? 

Horrendous performance, the only performance worth analysing would be Keita's. Considering his recent lay off he did well and anything of quality came through him.

The Fabinho cameo showed a glimpse of what the central midfield might be like fitness permitting. It was the longest sustained period of pressure Liverpool achieved in the match, even then they never looked like scoring though.

A midfield 3 of Fabinho, Keita and Firmino next match please. Jota, Mane and Salah up top. Fuck worrying about the central defensive pairing anymore, go back to heavy metal football.

Nat Phillips is a must in any current central defensive pairing, he hasn't made any mistakes that I recall.

Hindsight is of course a wonderful thing, but you have to wonder how things would've been if Fabinho had been playing in midfield and we just had gone with Phillips and Williams/anybody who was fit at CB. With him doing his screening job (which he is of course excellent at), perhaps having inexperienced CBs wouldn't have been such an issue. Hell, it couldn't have been any worse!

2 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Not starting Fabinho made sense in the context of his injuries recently so once he is back to full match fitness you'd hope that would be the case.

Ah, I meant that scenario over the course of the past couple of months, not this game in particular.

Totally agree about playing Phillips and Williams or anyone who's actually a defender at centre back. There's really no point in shoring up the defence when we look so unlikely to score ourselves. Right now I'd take scoring a few goals and still losing over the dross that's currently being served up.

Same. It's not like Liverpool are getting battered or Alisson is keeping us in the game, the completely toothless attach means that as soon as the opposition scores it's going to be very difficult to get a result. It's RB Leipzig on Wednesday who have to score to get back into the tie so hopefully he'll play defenders in defence and use a proper midfield so we can counter attack on them. But now my biggest fear is getting through to the next round and getting drawn against Bayern who could do to us what they did to Barcelona last season 

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Same. It's not like Liverpool are getting battered or Alisson is keeping us in the game, the completely toothless attach means that as soon as the opposition scores it's going to be very difficult to get a result. It's RB Leipzig on Wednesday who have to score to get back into the tie so hopefully he'll play defenders in defence and use a proper midfield so we can counter attack on them. But now my biggest fear is getting through to the next round and getting drawn against Bayern who could do to us what they did to Barcelona last season 

Just hope we get through. An early goal for Leipzig could be disastrous given how lacking in confidence the side looks right now.

After that? We’ve lost 7-2 to Villa this season, and six on the bounce at home to some rank teams (and two decent ones); humiliation isn’t really a stranger at the minute. Just be in the hat and hope for an own goal or decision to spark a bit of momentum because it’s sure as shit not coming from our own team.

58 minutes ago, glb said:

After that? We’ve lost 7-2 to Villa this season, and six on the bounce at home to some rank teams (and two decent ones); humiliation isn’t really a stranger at the minute. Just be in the hat and hope for an own goal or decision to spark a bit of momentum because it’s sure as shit not coming from our own team.

Out of interest what are the rank teams and what are the decent ones?

36 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Out of interest what are the rank teams and what are the decent ones?

I was just fishing. The only rank team at Anfield recently has been the one playing in red.

The starting line up is interesting. Happy Fabinho has been pushed back into the midfield. It'll give Wijnaldum more freedom to get forward and take players on like he can. The defence is clearly a weakness but I'd rather watch the players in their best positions.