Liverpool Football Club Thread - Home of the Curlett Cup Winners

The rumours have been around for over a year. I think you've made it something in your head that it isn't.

You've spent the last few years being negative at every turn and it's getting pretty boring.

Newspapers and websites will always fabricate rumours regarding the bigger clubs because it drives traffic/sales. Just ignore them.

Removed ‘champions’ from the thread title as it was starting to look more pathetic than celebrating being joint-top.

Not a chance Liverpool will sign Mbappe or even Sancho (as we all know). There needs to be upheavals in the summer but would be surprised if any one fee is much over £40m. Less so if we can’t offer Champions League football or Anfield will still be empty for a portion of next season. The only caveat being if we sell Salah or Mane, but even then why would another side splurge huge fees on two players that will be 29 next season, when they could sign much younger stars with much more longevity and commercial upside instead?

At least the next few months will be interesting, just not for the reasons we probably expected last September. Forlornly chasing a European place, almost makes me feel nostalgic :wub:

15 hours ago, Stigweard said:

The ref was so bad, he gave them a freekick in our half for offside :facepalm:

Yeah, this is one of those weird things that can happen with the way the laws are written at the moment. The free-kick is given at the spot where the offside player touches the ball, so presumably someone came back from an offside position to collect the ball? It's more of an indication of how weird the laws have got than how bad an individual referee is, really.

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

I see the rumours of Sancho and Mbappe and all sorts of other are flying again.

Liverpool won't be signing any of the marquee players, the club doesn't spend that kind of money. Sancho is going to United, Mbappe is either going to sign another contract or move to Real Madrid and Haaland is going to make City even more unstoppable. If this is the end a Champions League and Premier League title alongside stopping Pep's City isn't bad at all. 

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

The rumours have been around for over a year. I think you've made it something in your head that it isn't.

You've spent the last few years being negative at every turn and it's getting pretty boring.

Newspapers and websites will always fabricate rumours regarding the bigger clubs because it drives traffic/sales. Just ignore them.

Yeah, recent form shows my negativity is misplaced doesn’t it? I was wrong when I suggested we might not get top 4 this year. 

I think you’ve made it something in your head that it isn’t. Sure I make negative comments but I make positive ones too. You always seem to pop up with a dig every time. It’s pretty weird behaviour. Just ignore me. 

Or I tell you what, I’ll make it easier for you. As you seem to think this is your thread where we can only post things you approve of, I’ll fuck off out it. 

We'll not get top 4 but we'll fluke our way into winning the Champions League. Believe! 

More annoyed about seeing Minamino mugging off Chelsea while we're struggling to create anything. Wouldn't be a bad thing if we sold Salah and/or Mane come summer if Minamino can continue to improve at Southampton and we keep him. He and Jota could be acceptable replacements for the aging Mane/Salah. 

In fact sell Mane and Salah and might be able to afford Haaland, or 1/4 of Mbappe. 

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, this is one of those weird things that can happen with the way the laws are written at the moment. The free-kick is given at the spot where the offside player touches the ball, so presumably someone came back from an offside position to collect the ball? It's more of an indication of how weird the laws have got than how bad an individual referee is, really.

How odd :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Azrael said:

We'll not get top 4 but we'll fluke our way into winning the Champions League. Believe! 

More annoyed about seeing Minamino mugging off Chelsea while we're struggling to create anything. Wouldn't be a bad thing if we sold Salah and/or Mane come summer if Minamino can continue to improve at Southampton and we keep him. He and Jota could be acceptable replacements for the aging Mane/Salah. 

In fact sell Mane and Salah and might be able to afford Haaland, or 1/4 of Mbappe. 

Selling Salah would be a very bad thing.  Actually that goes for Mane too.

3 hours ago, glb said:

Removed ‘champions’ from the thread title as it was starting to look more pathetic than celebrating being joint-top. 

Why? We are Champions and no amount of shit football or bating from jealous rival supports will let me stop enjoying that fact until the day City lift the Trophy.

59 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Why? We are Champions and no amount of shit football or bating from jealous rival supports will let me stop enjoying that fact until the day City lift the Trophy.

Won’t be too long to wait for City to be confirmed as successors.

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Yeah, recent form shows my negativity is misplaced doesn’t it? I was wrong when I suggested we might not get top 4 this year. 

I think you’ve made it something in your head that it isn’t. Sure I make negative comments but I make positive ones too. You always seem to pop up with a dig every time. It’s pretty weird behaviour. Just ignore me. 

Or I tell you what, I’ll make it easier for you. As you seem to think this is your thread where we can only post things you approve of, I’ll fuck off out it. 

I pointed out what I thought and you've done the same, that's the beauty of this forum. I post in this thread and the main football thread and disagree with many people and have plenty of back and forth about it. The same goes for any part of the forum, that's exactly what we're here for, isn't it?

I'd rather you posted your opinion in here though. I've made my opinion known and I won't mention it again. I'd still like to talk about actual football though, whether we agree or disagree.

5 hours ago, glb said:

At least the next few months will be interesting, just not for the reasons we probably expected last September. Forlornly chasing a European place, almost makes me feel nostalgic :wub:

Ha, yeah, it has a bit of late-stage Houllier about it, doesn't it? 

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Liverpool won't be signing any of the marquee players, the club doesn't spend that kind of money. Sancho is going to United, Mbappe is either going to sign another contract or move to Real Madrid and Haaland is going to make City even more unstoppable. If this is the end a Champions League and Premier League title alongside stopping Pep's City isn't bad at all. 

I put faith in Edwards and his team of data analysts to find some unexpected purchases that fit whatever plans Klopp and Lijnders are cooking up.

I think this season is a blip, a really disappointing, frustrating one, but a blip all the same. Cliched I know, but the players returning from injury are going to feel like a wave of signings regardless of who else comes in.

In the short-term I hope when Fabinho returns he’s played in midfield. Would rather Kabak and Phillips at CB screened by Fab, than continuing the disruption to midfield. Fabinho as DM, with Jones or Gini as the pivot with Thiago 10 yards further forward without having to fetch the ball quite so often will hopefully provide more incision.

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Ha, yeah, it has a bit of late-stage Houllier about it, doesn't it? 

To be honest I’m labouring to find positives at the minute :lol:

Bless Ged, that was still a fantastic era for the club and fans and he did so much to drag us into the modern era. I hope he knew how much he was valued by the club, and glad he got to see us win the league because we did it on his foundations.

Also, don’t know who needs to read this, maybe I’m just convincing myself: we’ll be alright boys and girls. Not just the football, but in general I mean. Enjoy what’s left of the weekend and do something that makes you happy.

You’re awesome and deserve it x

On 21/02/2021 at 11:36, feltmonkey said:

Salah was more or less on the halfway line when the pass was made, and a few yards into the Everton half when the whistle blew. There's no CSI-style analysis but I don't think he was actually offside. However, Everton rolled the ball forward to the halfway line, and then again another 4 or so metres, before taking the kick. The ref, not surprisingly, either didn't notice this or did notice and had no problem with it.

Absolutely to do with how bad every Premier League referee is in our matches, and nothing at all to do with the laws of the game.

7 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Salah was more or less on the halfway line when the pass was made, and a few yards into the Everton half when the whistle blew. There's no CSI-style analysis but I don't think he was actually offside. However, Everton rolled the ball forward to the halfway line, and then again another 4 or so metres, before taking the kick. The ref, not surprisingly, either didn't notice this or did notice and had no problem with it.

Feels *slightly* hypocritical for us to complain about Everton sneaking their free kick forward a bit

Recommend anyone who hasn’t seen it to watch The End of the Storm. Throughly uplifting account of last season’s title win, and also a timely reminder of how great this side is.

Obviously key figures missing at the minute and there’s much work to be done to get back on track in the coming months but would be surprised if there’s anyone who watches it who then doubts Klopp’s ability to do so. Here’s hoping FSG support him where required, and we can get Anfield rocking again next season.

Also a good doc as it contains lots of non-Scouse Reds, which will clearly delight our resident ‘proper fan’.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Home of the Curlett Cup Winners
On 21/02/2021 at 11:01, glb said:

New thread title. :lol: Nice.  I’d be well chuffed if we did a parade in Summer with the Curlett.