Liverpool Football Club Thread - Home of the Curlett Cup Winners

We have left it late but I’m glad we have signed Ben Davies and hopefully Kabak will go through in time. Good to see the club finally respond to the issues in defence. Now let’s go defend our title!

That’s got to be it for Matip. Very good player, and been excellent for us but the fella is made of Weetabix :(

Reports suggesting the initial upfront fees for Davies and Kabak total £2m. Edwards working some much-needed magic again.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Ornstein reckons Southampton are after Minamino. He clearly hasn't settled at the club.

A loan and regular football so he can find his place in the English game might not be a bad thing, as he's clearly way down the pecking order right now.

Matip out for the season explains why we signed two defenders, Minamino going on loan might be good for him. For whatever reason he is not getting into the side.

Agree about Ings let’s swap him for Origi.

Caleta-Car isn't moving, Marseille wouldn't let him go. Gotta think there is a big creek defensive signing lined up for the summer considering those two transfers, if they go ahead for their full value ot works out between 20 and 25 million depending on who's valuations you believe.

Minamino never really looked to be comfortable in the team or squad, hopefully he gains confidence at Southampton and can capture some of what made him so dangerous at Salzburg.

47 minutes ago, glb said:

Reports suggesting the initial upfront fees for Davies and Kabak total £2m. Edwards working some much-needed magic again.

Davies was on the verge of signing a contract with Celtic due to his contract running out in the summer before Liverpool stepped in to sign him. If it doesn't work out he'll be sold for £10m to a Championship side in 18 months time knowing Edwards. 

20 hours ago, ryodi said:

Davies was on the verge of signing a contract with Celtic due to his contract running out in the summer before Liverpool stepped in to sign him. If it doesn't work out he'll be sold for £10m to a Championship side in 18 months time knowing Edwards. 

Given how a full-strength midfield will control most games, it’s a great bit of business. Ben Davies looked thrilled in his introduction video, a little overwhelmed to be honest but it must have been a mad 48 hours for him.

”Ben, it’s your agent, you’re never going to believe this....”

Also, this is a fantastic angle of Sunday’s second. Not so much for the finish, but Shaqiri’s pass. At pace, first time and it’s inch perfect. Look at his cubic joy in the celebrations!

The other thing that perspective illustrates for me, better than much else I've seen, is just how weird that (non)atmosphere is for the players to compete in. I guess they're growing used to it by now, but doing all of that without the eruption in the stadium that it deserves must be a bit underwhelming really.

I like this alternate view of the first goal, too.

What pleases me the most is how Milner is disappointed, but then suddenly gets taken back to the game, and in that moment we see that he cares more about the on-field action than his own situation. Some players would continue to the seats, others would head to the dressing room. Milner is a team player, though.

8 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I like this alternate view of the first goal, too.

What pleases me the most is how Milner is disappointed, but then suddenly gets taken back to the game, and in that moment we see that he cares more about the on-field action than his own situation. Some players would continue to the seats, others would head to the dressing room. Milner is a team player, though.

Yeah he’s pissed off because he thinks he’s playing well (he was!) and keeping him on would give us the best chance of winning. Love his reaction, that self deprecating laughing at himself vibe. Falling back in love with this team.

I’ve sort of already accepted were probably not going to win the league, I just want us to build form so that we’re in full flow for the champions league games. Hopefully the defensive signings hit the ground running and give us a bit of stability.

Who do we think will be defensive partnership this evening? I can't see any of the new signings coming straight into the team.

Henderson/Nat Phillips again?

4 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Who do we think will be defensive partnership this evening? I can't see any of the new signings coming straight into the team.

Henderson/Nat Phillips again?

They won't be registered in time for tonight I don't think. So I expect Henderson / Phillips tonight with Henderson / Fabinho on Sunday. Then bring them in after that.

I think Klopp said it would be Henderson and Phillips again. Something along the lines of "it wouldn't be clever" if the new signings had to play straight away.

Edit: my memory wasn't quite right. Klopp said "so if they would have to start tomorrow night together, I think that would be not too cool. But we will give them a few more days."

Hopefully it's just an illness and not Covid-19.

As an aside, Henderson is a much better captain than Gerrard ever was. Those videos highlight exactly why too, you can hear him throughout and he takes such joy in his team mates doing well. Of course as an individual Gerrard was better, there is no doubting that.

27 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Hopefully it's just an illness and not Covid-19.

As an aside, Henderson is a much better captain than Gerrard ever was. Those videos highlight exactly why too, you can hear him throughout and he takes such joy in his team mates doing well. Of course as an individual Gerrard was better, there is no doubting that.

I’d agree with that. As the resident Henderson critic (no one else admits it), I’m very impressed with his on pitch demeanour and character. I do still think he’s only really a 7/10 player but the rest of it is what makes him better than that. I maintain he didn’t used to have that, but since Klopp arrived he’s had a big confidence boost and it’s improved him a lot. 

I never really rated Gerrard as a captain. I think he was just a local lad who was really good and the best player at the club for a long time so it sort of defaulted to him. He always seemed a bit whiny and got frustrated when things weren’t going well.

Maybe it’s better having a ‘lesser’ player as captain. Gerrard would get frustrated with those who weren’t on his level, Henderson is a cheerleader and support act for those in front and seems happy to be so. 

I still think Henderson's sending off near the end of the 13/14 season is what cost us the title. As a captain he's in a better side than Gerrard ever had but he sets the tone and the team is definitely not as effective when he's not playing. Gerrard could drag the teams to performances they shoudn't have been capable of. 

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I still think Henderson's sending off near the end of the 13/14 season is what cost us the title. As a captain he's in a better side than Gerrard ever had but he sets the tone and the team is definitely not as effective when he's not playing. Gerrard could drag the teams to performances they shoudn't have been capable of. 

That’s true, but Gerrard had to do it by playing inspirationally well, which is of course great, but harder and rarer to call upon than just generally having a good attitude that keeps people ticking over. 

I’m not sure about the teams and the quality. Gerrard had Mascherano, Alonso, peak Torres, Carragher, Suarez etc. Not necessarily all at once, but he did play with some quality. 

This is a better ‘team’ maybe, but I think that’s due to a lot of factors beyond the quality of the players. I think the fact they all seem like fundamentally decent likeable people goes a long way. 

Oh, look. It's a team employing a low block, with all 10 behind the ball. Side-to-side-to-side we go, where will a shot come from? Nobody knows. It's way past time we learned to deal with this. The long balls are too long, the crosses are being mopped up, and there is nowhere to play the through balls to.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Home of the Curlett Cup Winners