IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins

glb

Decisions aside I'm pissed off about Rodgers' substitutions again. Granted he doesn't have much on the bench but what is he doing throwing that Smith kid in there? Alberto was as good a fit, has looked sharp when he's played and was signed by Rodgers! He doesn't seem keen on him at all. Bizarre. The guy looked out of his depth.

The truth is if the referee in each game made correct decisions, we still could have won/drawn both games despite Mignolet's mistakes.

They also made some very obvious incorrect decisions too. Howard Webb today has again showed his favouritism. Eto'o didn't even get a yellow or his foul in Hendo. The time of the match shouldn't even come into account, if you red card foul someone on 3mins it's the same as if you did on the 87min. Then to be looking right at the foul on Suarez and give nothing is a disgrace. Eto'o clearly fouls him, the ball isn't even near them ffs.

Decisions aside I'm pissed off about Rodgers' substitutions again. Granted he doesn't have much on the bench but what is he doing throwing that Smith kid in there? Alberto was as good a fit, has looked sharp when he's played and was signed by Rodgers! He doesn't seem keen on him at all. Bizarre. The guy looked out of his depth.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. When you're chasing a game against such a tough side, why the fuck would you bring in a youth team player. He looked awful too, completely out of his depth.

It's a massive shame but I kinda had a feeling it would end up like this, I think i said a week or so ago after the two tough fixtures we could end the year behind Everton.

Still, massive positives all over the place, we more than matched both City and Chelsea away from home and with a bit more luck with the goalie and decisions could have easily taken 6 points.

poor decisions, a bit of the rub of the green and we could have come away with something in the last two games. Refs bottling the big decisions in favour of the home side in these games is nothing new. I hope the team can pick themselves up for Hull, the fixtures are more kinder from now to the end of the season, still on course for a top 4 finish.

Fucking disgraceful from the officials again. We deserved to lose based on the performances of both teams, but to have (supposedly) the country's best referee steal a point from us like that is a huge kick in the teeth.

I do feel Mignolet is being hard done by though. Granted, the Negredo one was a shocker, but he's done extremely well to even react to Eto'o's shot given how close he was to it, and it's just an unfortunate spin on the ball that's carried it into the goal. Hopefully we can push on again now after what are likely to be the season's two toughest games, starting with Hull on Wednesday.

The truth is if the referee in each game made correct decisions, we still could have won/drawn both games despite Mignolet's mistakes.

Yeah, but by that logic we should have lost to Cardiff as they had 3-4 clear penalties not given. And besides, I'm sure City could have easily had 2 penalties, too.

I'm not defending Webb here by the way, he was rubbish, just saying that we do benefit from poor decisions too. The fact is, we just weren't very good today. The passing and first touches were sloppy, Chelsea harried well and denied space and none of the front 3 ever really got into the game.

First back-to-back defeats under Rodgers in the league, too. And that's 1 away win in the last 7 and only 1 point from 12 in our games against the current top-4.

The team really need to bounce back now against Hull to keep us in the hunt for the top-4, but also have a plan in place for recruits in the transfer window.

Who would of took 3 points from Tottenham, City & Chelsea? I would, were not going to win the league but were in contention for Champions League going into January which I would of been happy with back in August when I saw the fixtures we had to play in November & December

Saying that, Hull will be tough, Steve Bruce teams usually give big teams not called Manchester United a tough game

It's a massive shame but I kinda had a feeling it would end up like this, I think i said a week or so ago after the two tough fixtures we could end the year behind Everton.

Still, massive positives all over the place, we more than matched both City and Chelsea away from home and with a bit more luck with the goalie and decisions could have easily taken 6 points.

I think we were great against City, and us taking at least a point (if not all 3) wouldn't have been unwarranted based on the performance.

Today though, we didn't match Chelsea at all. We were second-best all game and never really looked like scoring a second. Plus every one of our set-pieces from the 4th minute onwards was dreadful.

I do feel Mignolet is being hard done by though. Granted, the Negredo one was a shocker, but he's done extremely well to even react to Eto'o's shot given how close he was to it, and it's just an unfortunate spin on the ball that's carried it into the goal.

Mignolet has been brilliant this season, he won us probably 3 games at the start with the saves he made - but today wasn't great. There was no pace on the ball, he got down quickly enough but as I said earlier, it's like he wanted to fingertip it away rather than getting his palm behind it.

As for Brad Smith, his game was summed up by the kick from Cech that he completely mis-controlled when a little more composure could have put Suarez clean through. But Rodgers has to take the blame for that, how hard must it be to make your debut in that kind of match, at that pace? As has been noted above, he doesn't seem to want to give Luis Alberto many minutes. You know it must be bad if not only a teenage debutant but Aspas get a game and you don't!

"I think my experience helps me to see things with another perspective - when I was Brendan's age I only saw things from one side.

"Lucas on Hazard is the real penalty. The situation on Samuel on Luis? That's a yellow card.

"If someone has to complain it is us. But we won't because we won."

Mourihno = twat

Yeah, but by that logic we should have lost to Cardiff as they had 3-4 clear penalties not given. And besides, I'm sure City could have easily had 2 penalties, too.

My main point was that it isn't fair to single out the mistakes made by the team. However, the Skrtel fouls are generally the type of shit you see almost every team doing at least a little bit and getting away with. The ones against City for example were him and Kompany basically wrestling each other. The similar one on Suarez in the same game involved Lescott having a hold of his shirt, arm at full-stretch, and Suarez trying to get away from him to play the ball. The other was Lescott coming through the back of him and kneeing him in the ribs. They are a lot more clear-cut. Mason didn't give it because he's Mason, and Webb didn't give the two he should have tonight (yes, two) because he's Webb. It's been thoroughly depressing going into the last two games knowing we would get nothing from the referee in each game. I'm not saying that's the only reason we've lost these games, but it has been a factor.

It makes it all the more frustrating to have to listen to people downplaying what's happened. Especially some of the hypocrites in the football thread.

We're obviously a team in transition and we can't expect to challenge for the title. We did look vulnerable at times in both games but I'm proud of both performances, on the whole, it's just a shame that they've been sullied by factors that reach beyond the team's control. I think it's good for the league, to have a team go to those two grounds and try to play football - and to not only see the reward (or at least the chance of it) get taken away by predictable bent refereeing, but also have to listen to gobshites trying to play it down is winding me up.

Like most in here, it was a frustrating day at the office today...

... and yet if you had offered me six points off the top at New Year and two points above Man U I would have bitten your hand off for that.

There have been some shit decisions over the last two games but we've had some go our way in the past so I just let that shit ride. The important thing is that at the half way mark of the season we're still in the mix. And that makes me more than happy at the moment.

My main point was that it isn't fair to single out the mistakes made by the team. However, the Skrtel fouls are generally the type of shit you see almost every team doing at least a little bit and getting away with. The ones against City for example were him and Kompany basically wrestling each other. The similar one on Suarez in the same game involved Lescott having a hold of his shirt, arm at full-stretch, and Suarez trying to get away from him to play the ball. The other was Lescott coming through the back of him and kneeing him in the ribs. They are a lot more clear-cut. Mason didn't give it because he's Mason, and Webb didn't give the two he should have tonight (yes, two) because he's Webb. It's been thoroughly depressing going into the last two games knowing we would get nothing from the referee in each game. I'm not saying that's the only reason we've lost these games, but it has been a factor.

It makes it all the more frustrating to have to listen to people downplaying what's happened. Especially some of the hypocrites in the football thread.

We're obviously a team in transition and we can't expect to challenge for the title. We did look vulnerable at times in both games but I'm proud of both performances, on the whole, it's just a shame that they've been sullied by factors that reach beyond the team's control. I think it's good for the league, to have a team go to those two grounds and try to play football - and to not only see the reward (or at least the chance of it) get taken away by predictable bent refereeing, but also have to listen to gobshites trying to play it down is winding me up.

I hope I'm not being classed as one of the gobshites :(

My final comment on the shirt-pulling, but Kompany's shirt was almost ripped-off at least twice (including when he scored). They were no less penalties than the Suarez incidents. But I shall say no more.

For what it's worth re: refereeing decisions, I'm certainly not attempting to downplay them but I've always rather accepted there's nothing that can be done about them. I do get angry in the moment - the offside against City had me more than a little 'grrrr' - but as those types of things will always happen and are outside the control of the club, I instead try to focus on how the team can improve and prefer to discuss that.

When all is said and done, I'm very proud of where the team are. We've played some fantastic football at times and there is much promise to look forward to in the second half of the season. That said, we do need to buy some players for the now, rather than for the future, to at least give some competition for places and options from the bench.

Do that, and in this rather volatile season who knows where we may finish?

I hope I'm not being classed as one of the gobshites :(

Of course not!

My final comment on the shirt-pulling, but Kompany's shirt was almost ripped-off at least twice (including when he scored). They were no less penalties than the Suarez incidents. But I shall say no more.

I agree that they're "no less" a penalty, but they were less obvious. The fouls on Suarez were straight forward in that he's not engaging in a tussle or pulling the defender's shirt. They were blatant and Mason was just being a cunt. As usual.

For what it's worth re: refereeing decisions, I'm certainly not attempting to downplay them but I've always rather accepted there's nothing that can be done about them. I do get angry in the moment - the offside against City had me more than a little 'grrrr' - but as those types of things will always happen and are outside the control of the club, I instead try to focus on how the team can improve and prefer to discuss that.

I think I generally do the same. But I can't this time. I went into both games all but expecting to be shafted. I find it hard to criticise the team after two very spirited performances. I'm just sick of feeling hard done by when it comes to games like this. It happens every year. The bad decisions are one thing, having to listen to lies after the game is something else.

When all is said and done, I'm very proud of where the team are. We've played some fantastic football at times and there is much promise to look forward to in the second half of the season. That said, we do need to buy some players for the now, rather than for the future, to at least give some competition for places and options from the bench.

Do that, and in this rather volatile season who knows where we may finish?

Agree. I was worried about where the team was headed this season but it seems like it was just a blip. I really get the sense that if Rodgers got hold of a nice chunk of money, he could get us to where we want to be.

The most telling aspect of the game was seeing how knackered we looked compared to Chelsea - Johnson especially seemed completely off the pace. Not surprising given we're having to field practically the same 11 in every match at the moment. The fact Sterling had a bad game was almost expected - he shouldn't have to be playing this many matches in a row at his age.

Yet, despite that fact, we should've got at least a draw in the past 2 games, away to the 2 teams in the league that have the deepest squads.

If we can get a couple of players in January, I don't see why we can't get 4th or maybe even 3rd this season.

I only watched it on MOTD but I was happy to see that we were still playing good football even though we were being kicked about the park.

There are two things I get frustrated with though, our inability to defend a lead when up against top opponents (we attack too much, Johnson and Skrtel are still liabilities) and as everyone has said, the refereeing decisions that haven't gone our way, which is making us drop points.

It was bad against City but yesterday's game was awful. Eto shouldn't have been on the pitch too score his goal, 2 clear penalty decisions were not given and Oscar on Lucas was a red as well.

On a side note, I do hate this thing that players do now where if they get any contact at all, to enhance it they fall and spread their legs as wide as possible so it seems like a really bad challenge. It's a new level of diving, more sneaky and underhand than before.

I have to say that Mourinho talking so much rubbish (just read his full comments on the BBC) has really wound me up. He's being very clever there, by putting the idea back into refs' minds that Suarez is cheating again (despite behaving impeccably this season) with this bit in particular:

But when the situation is like this and you are losing comes the nature of the player. The wild nature of the player or the cultural nature of the player.

Rodgers didn't really say much in response, this is one of those times I wish he'd really let rip.

Ah well. Looking forward, you'd say that on paper our trickiest game in January is Oldham ( ;)), er Everton at home. The rest are very winnable, and this season it could all be about getting points on the board to apply some pressure in that way. We need to get a run going whilst the teams around us play each other, starting with Man U v Tottenham. My head says a draw is the best result there, but, well, doesn't everybody like to see Man U get beaten? :D

Mourinho has been very clever there. He's taken control of the story- the BBC website is running with Suarez being a diver again. It's frustrating alright. Forgot exactly how much of an annoying bastard he is when he was away.

Yeah, if I were a neutral and hadn't seen the incident but only read about it, I'd definitely be left with the impression that Suarez was back up to his old tricks. It's very clever, like also suggesting that he didn't need to make more of the apparent Lucas/Hazard incident because they won - inferring that only losers whine. From Chelsea's point of view he's very good PR.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins