Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

The club won't make a rash decision (unlike Pickford :angry:) so I can't seem them picking anybody up from there. I guess it will depend on how the season is looking in January - if we're effectively out of the title race by then I doubt anybody would come in. But if we are still challenging in the league and/or Europe then perhaps a deal for Koulibaly might be sought - although probably unlikely. Every club with a potential target would know they had all the power in negotiations and I don't feel the board would allow themselves to be held to ransom. Time for one of the youngsters to step-up!

We won 14 games by a goal last season, so losing the core largely responsible for that tightness at the back - Allison & VVD - is going to hurt a lot, no doubt. We'll just have to start banging them in for fun instead, I guess. :)

No one has a good defense this season and it's not like Liverpool were rock solid at the back before his injury. Alisson should be fit again by the end of the month and the team will have to make do. On the positive side if Liverpool do win the title without van Dijk it will make City's excuse last year that Laporte's injury was the only thing keeping them from challenging seem ridiculous. But knowing our luck we'll lose to Ajax in midweek and Brewster will score a hatful for Sheffield United at the weekend. 

Really wish we had signed another centre back during the summer. Fabinho will obviously now drop back to defence but I still worry how poor our defence will be on corners.

Goals conceded from corners is such a low percentage anyway, something like 3-4%. Set-pieces might be similar, and teams may be more likely to over-commit without Van Dijk, leaving them more susceptible to the side’s blistering counters.

Its shit that VVD is going to be out for a prolonged period, but bar Villa every side as looked ropey at the back this season, and our attack still looks in fine form.

It’ll all be alright in the end.

1 hour ago, glb said:

Now rumours flying around that Matip is injured again.

It will be alright in the end, but we might just have to wait a little longer.

In other news... Water is wet.

I think we now just go ahead and enjoy the season on a game by game basis. Take the entertainment and if we come ourt of it with a tropht, then great. If not, then so be it. I still don't think this season will be completed anyway.

Unless there are squad-wide outbreaks, think the season will shuffle towards a conclusion one way or another.

Agree about enjoying one game at a time though. This season is already wacky with scant regard for defending, so should be plenty more high-scoring games, of which we’ll win some and lose some.

It’s strange. After finally seeing the team win the league, and with far more serious things happening away from the game, feel a lot of emotion has ebbed away. This season feels like hazy escapism but much of the importance I’d normally place on it has evaporated because it is of course not really important at all.

17 hours ago, gospvg said:

No idea if he's any good but I say we sign Chang-woo Rim just so we can have the CB partnership of Rim Matip 

Ooh, just seen Kyriakos Papadopoulos is on that list. Weren't we linked with him several years ago? Seemed like a bit of a psycho, get him in just to make this crazy season even more mad. 

It has been a while since anyone has got full Ossie Ardeles in the Premier League. Shame we shipped Elliot off to Blackburn on loan because he’d be a lot of fun on that formation.

Maybe this will be like when TAA got his chance when Clyne got injured and this is when Sepp van den Berg steps up and amazes us all by being our best CB. If we still have him that is or did we get rid of him too? 

Whether people see this as a hollow gesture or not I'm still going to post it. An LFC fan group I'm in want to try and raise some money for food banks instead of giving Sky their £14.99

No one should feel obliged to donate but if you'd like to, here's the link

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/taw-ultras

90+ Ink will donate a free print to the top donator.

https://instagram.com/ninetyplusink?igshid=ergeavlslqpn

I'm not sure what game you lot are watching, I've really enjoyed it. Fabinho has been great, Gomez looks a lot more accomplished tonight than he has done recently, and Jones is looking more and more like a ready made replacement for when Wijnaldum leaves next season. Both teams playing well going forward, too. The only negative so far is Adrian, who seems to be trying his hardest to fuck it for us.

5 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

If Fabinho is this good at centre back, why on earth have we been playing him in midfield?

We’ve lost the best defender in the world and replaced him with the other best defender in the world.

Little bit hyperbolic,  but he has done a job each time he has played there. 

Been playing guitar while watching so not the closest attention but Fabinho is brilliant at CB, hopefully he’ll be happy there for a while. Adrian is awful. That shot hit his foot but apart for that everything he does is bad. Decisions, positioning, everything. 

Could go crazy in the second half, could dry up into a very boring game. 

Fabinho just makes good tackles too, which is weirdly rare in CBs.