Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

Thought I'd cross post in here just in case some followers don't peruse the other thread.

It needs the author winking every time he writes caffeine. The mention of asthma is an implication the club is registering players as asthmatic to enable certain ‘meds’ like salbutamol to be used (as per Chris Froome)

That being said, the last few years I’ve had the nagging doubt that, as with so many sports, top-flight football clubs are doping in some form. Feels like there is too much money involved for their not to be some form of attempt to obtain the marginal gains that PEDs allow. Maybe it’s widespread, maybe it’s situational. Maybe it’s done on just the right side of legal, maybe not.

If it’s the latter, be like Usain Bolt I guess: don’t get caught. No, that’s too glib. I genuinely don’t know how I’d feel if a doping scandal transpired. I still watch cycling, MMA and athletics, so actually I guess I do know.

I agree with Pockets, just got a feeling after all the effort could be 'burnout' this season unless we get 1 or 2 big signings in, i dont think the empty stadiums will help us in particular either, been fantastic since the second half of 17/18 season though, cant go on forever i guess

I've just seen the highlights and I'd always take a fit Matip over Gomez. Gomez reminds me of TAA a season or so back. Looking really good but not quite there yet.  Gomez shouldn't be a nailed on starter, he tends to lose concentration. My worry would be if we HAVE to rely on Gomez because of a Matip injury.

Good to see Minamino, Jones, Elliott all looking good. Players that will be used much more this season.  Going back to the conversation I had with Gabe the other day, I think Thiago coming in would offer something different but with Keita and Minamino starting to perform its not essential. Burnout is a potential problem like a few of you said but I wonder whether Klopp isn't keen to disrupt this group of players as they all play for each other.  You only need one big player coming in and not getting enough game time to disrupt the dressing room after all.

23 hours ago, Adrock said:

Matip, when fully fit, is better than Gomez.

I don't think many would argue against that, Matip's issue though is that he's always got a little knock that keeps him out for a bit, then he'll play a little and then get a more serious injury.

I think today’s a huge test of a team who’ve just achieved a 30 year goal against one who’ll be hungry to make an impression. 

Hopefully my pessimism is wrong and we’ll do a professional job as champions but if my doom mongering has any credibility it’ll be in games like this that we’ll drop points. 

11 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think today’s a huge test of a team who’ve just achieved a 30 year goal against one who’ll be hungry to make an impression. 

Hopefully my pessimism is wrong and we’ll do a professional job as champions but if my doom mongering has any credibility it’ll be in games like this that we’ll drop points. 

Your doom mongering last season had very little credibility, so I think we'll be ok. I'm going for a 3-0 win, but I'm basing that purely on the Leeds fans at work not giving themselves any sort of chance today.

I didn’t do much last season. I was cautious about celebrating too early when we had a big points lead but was fairly confident. Maybe the one before but even then I felt confident about the CL. 

I think people think I’m much worse than I am just because I’m not blindly positive. Admittedly, claiming we might struggle for top four might seem mad after winning the season before, but I just think there are a lot of strong teams this season and we’ve stood still. 

Yeah but those teams had to spend to catch-up. Side-by-side only Chelsea have a squad approaching Liverpool and City. Arsenal, Spurs and Man United are strong first teams with, currently, little depth.

2 hours ago, glb said:

Yeah but those teams had to spend to catch-up. Side-by-side only Chelsea have a squad approaching Liverpool and City. Arsenal, Spurs and Man United are strong first teams with, currently, little depth.

I of course, hope I’m wrong. Just sharing my worries. At least we’re in with a chance of competing with Man Utd’s penalty total this season. Especially if they’re all that soft. 

1 minute ago, CheekyLee said:

Carragher suggesting that was a harsh penalty decision ...

I don’t disagree with it being a penalty, it hit his hand which blocked a shot, but that was clearly unintentional with no time to

move which always feels harsh to me. 

1 minute ago, CheekyLee said:

Carragher suggesting that was a harsh penalty decision ...

I don't know what he was talking about, leaving your arm out there as a defender is asking for trouble.