Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

2 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Reminder that we lost this match on penalties last season...

Good point, who cares about this pointless friendly, we're gonna win the league again. 

3 hours ago, Azrael said:

Good point, who cares about this pointless friendly, we're gonna win the league again. 

Wouldn't be so sure, we've been fucking awful since the league was won and tbh Klopps having a laugh if he thinks this team has enough in them to do another 95-100 point season without some extra experienced legs.

We need recruitment, one LB back up is not enough.

I'm also really pissed at Klopp throwing Brewster under the bus like that.

Gutted for Brewster. Very flat and lifeless first half performance. Definitely missed Trent and Hendo. Salah very quiet as well. Brighter in the second half though, Minamino looked great and Keita looked really lively despite some perplexing decision making at times.

I thought Arsenal were the better side and Liverpool were just repeating the end of last season with cross after cross being easily headed away by the Arsenal defence. Definitely need to improve when the league gets going because as others have said since winning the title the team has looked off the pace. 

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Wouldn't be so sure, we've been fucking awful since the league was won and tbh Klopps having a laugh if he thinks this team has enough in them to do another 95-100 point season with some extra experienced legs.

We need recruitment, one LB back up is not enough.

Yep, defensively the team have looked well off the pace and also believe (and have said before the season ended) that we needed to bring in some fresh blood for the squad to enable some competition for places.

Whilst I didn't see the game today - and I'm not sure how much can be judged on the Community Shield - let's hope there is some improvement when it all kicks off for real with the visit of Leeds.

I just find it frustrating. Fergie said always improved when you're on top and whilst these lads have been amazing the last 2 seasons, relying on the pretty much the same team to go again is worrying. I'm worried they'll burn out. 

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I just find it frustrating. Fergie said always improved when you're on top and whilst these lads have been amazing the last 2 seasons, relaying on the pretty much the same team to go again is worrying. I'm worried they'll burn out. 

image-8-for-sport-pics-05-09-11-gallery-258043693.thumb.jpg.b9f8d8b9fe8fa51b50cd6f32b673ac18.jpg

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I just find it frustrating. Fergie said always improved when you're on top and whilst these lads have been amazing the last 2 seasons, relaying on the pretty much the same team to go again is worrying. I'm worried they'll burn out. 

Go back a little while in this thread and I was saying exactly the same as you - even down to the point of doubting they'd be able to keep up the performances for a third season and the danger of burn-out - but most seemed to think it wasn't a problem. The idea of improving whilst you're on top goes back way before Fergie but I said that too.

From the outside it certainly is frustrating, yes, but whether it's a case of there's no money, no suitable players or Klopp really does believe nothing is needed, all we can do is look forward to the highs and lows of the season to come and what happens, happens.

I really don't see yesterday as too negative. I can't, because we had the lion's share of possession, territory, shots, corners, everything. They were simply a very organised defence, that we struggled to break down. Their goal was a piece of brilliance from a world class striker, and their keeper pulled off a couple of great saves from Mane who would have put at least one of them away on another day.

I'll become worried if this turns into a pattern, as it used to be, but am quite willing to write it off as just a bad day at the office for now. A few of our players seem to be in cruise mode still, but that might be under orders until next month for all we know. Take the positives from it, like Minamino and Keita starting to be genuine options instead of just back-ups.

We won't need another 99 point season, either. City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, and even Leicester will all be a lot closer together, and 85-90 will be plenty. I don't see us running away with it again, but I can't see anyone making up the 20 point gap to us.

Also fully promoted Curtis Jones, Neco Williams and (hopefully) Rhian Brewster to the first team squad. I say hopefully with Brewster because feel he deserves a crack at playing for us and not going out on loan. Again.

I am sort of arsed about the Charity Shield (if we’re claiming the UEFA Super Cup as significant then the CS is our domestic equivalent) However, there’s been so little gap since last season and there’s now a poxy international break. Honestly not sure why it was kept in the fixture schedule; there is so little wriggle room in terms of the upcoming season that playing it over potentially giving players a little more respite just feels stubborn.

And bollocks to anyone whinging about how they’re paid so well that they can just play on without a drop in quality; they’re facing an unprecedented level of fixture congestion. There will almost certainly be a dip across the league this season, as will there be an increase in muscle and soft tissue injuries.

Where does that leave a title defence? I’d say Liverpool has the 2nd or 3rd best squad even without any more additions, so should finish in either of those spots. I agree with @CheekyLee that the league winner will amass 85-90 points just because there are going to be so many stress points this season that it’ll be hard for any one team to maintain consistency.

So, City winners, us or Chelsea interchangeable in 2nd and 3rd, Spurs 4th, United and Arsenal sharing 5th and 6th. Wolves getting amongst things would be refreshing and them not having European football may actually be a blessing for them.

You’ll all laugh and have a go but I still think there’s a real danger of us dropping out of the top four this year. 

This is a CL and PL winning team. If nothing else, I think some of the hunger has gone. You need new players to bring that and add competition for places. 

The add players from a position of strength thing was the old Liverpool boot room way. Fergie copied it from us.

I don’t think we’re set right for this season but it’s an odd one I suppose. Maybe no one is. Mind you, City are trying to add Messi so...

We played ok but upfront Salah & Bobby were very quiet, we missed Arnold creating the chances. When Keita came on he was better going forward.

Like most I would like new signings especially a creative midfielder and also another centre back but in Klopp we trust.

I come into this thread for the first time in weeks, and all I see is negativity! Some people saying that we might finish 2nd or 3rd if lucky, others saying we'll finish outside the top 4 :lol:

You do realise how far ahead we were last season, right? Chelsea will have to hit the ground running with half a new team to have any chance of getting close. Granted Man City will be there again with all their billions, but that's a given. Everyone else were waaaaaaaay behind!

Cheer up lads, we are Champions after all!

@Chewylegs As a few of us have mentioned, it's more that this team had to work incredibly hard to achieve what they have over the past 2 seasons and there are understandable doubts that the same players can keep performing like that. We saw once the title was won there was just a slight dip in performance and we dropped points we shouldn't have (and from winning positions, too) so I don't think it's being negative, it's just not being arrogant enough to think we'll steamroll everybody again (that's not aimed at you or anybody in this thread btw, just a general comment).

I get that but it's hard to understand when I personally have waited 30 years to see us win the league and now some Liverpool fans are slating whats happening next.  Yes I'd prefer two or 3 signings to come in to strengthen but I don't think this is Klopps fault. Perhaps we don't have enough money to buy proper players to strengthen a great side.  We aren't City.  We aren't Chelsea who are literally chucking money left right and centre in the hope they get it right (we've seen that before, it doesn't always work)

There is still time to strengthen but Curtis Jones for a start should and will get much more game time this season, he looks excellent .

Discussion of the financials of the club is a well-trodden path and we all know the club won't go out and spend the sums that City, Chelsea and even Man U will on a regular basis (hell, even Arsenal and Tottenham are more active in the market than us it feels like). But even so, I still believe there needs to be some fresh blood in the changing room. Jones may start to see more game time, but I don't think he's the answer to the problems we often have in midfield of a lack of creativity, so that's still a gap in the squad. Arguably we still lack an effective attacking option from the bench too, if the front three aren't firing (Origi is not the answer) and a solid CB to compete with Gomez (I'm assuming Matip will be a squad player only now, given his frequent injury problems). We also can't rely on Adrian if Allison is injured again.

So there are definite areas to be addressed and I'm sure Klopp would love to be able to do something about it, but there's a real chance he won't be able to. If that's the case, then I don't think it's negative or 'slating' to suggest that any title defence is not going to be the best it could be (though I think the comment upthread about finishing outside the top-4 is very pessimistic).

Personally I'd like to see the club actually take the FA Cup seriously again, though I accept that is unrealistic (and linked to the lack of squad depth.)

You say, we can't rely on Origi or Adrian, but both played an important part last season.  Adrian had his issues but he covered for Allison in the early part of the season really well.

To have real top class talent on the bench you either have to give them game time or pay them tons of money.  We can only give them one of those options and that means changing a side that won the league by 18 points.  It's difficult.

We are playing a bit of a long game here. We are still in uncertain times and we have no idea how cripple clubs may become financially should we hit another full lockdown. 

Promoting from within is the best we can do for now with one or two possible additions at most.

Ideally a CB and Thiago but we wait and see. My big hope is that we don't loan out Brewster and he gets game time. I feel he is ready.

Jones, Elliott and Williams are better for the role they have than any player we could sign for immediate prices and wages.

An injury free Keita would be a revelation this season (he really is that good) and Minamino has looked really sharp in pre-season. Jones is going to be an excellent squad player, maybe a decent member of the first team. Same with Brewster if we decide to keep him. And we can now afford to rest our full backs occasionally to keep them fresh.

We have enough options to be able to improve the team without spending in the short term.

The only way this team are going to finish lower than the top two this year is if City race in to the lead and we focus on the Champions League at the back end of the season.

Keita really settling into the team towards the end of the season was great to see, so hopefully he can push on and really challenge for a starting place - possibly made easier if the noise around Gini is true (weren't there rumours back in January that he might be off too?)

It's a bit worrying (but expected) when you see City and Chelsea bringing in more big name players. Then there's United making a signing today and Everton being linked to Rodriguez and Allan. But we have a great first team and some very promising talent on the bench that I hope get more chances and get better this season. 

I'd take Suarez and Coutinho back as bench warmers if Barca are done with them now :ph34r:

Suarez is off to Juve (I think)

If Gini does go (:() then surely Thiago will sign else we’ll be really light in midfield given Lallana has left, and Naby lad and Ox are injury prone.

Saw Sarr linked again too but think if that happens it’d be towards the end of the window once all the transfer request shenanigans occur and even then doubt we’re shelling out £40m for him.