Jump to content

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

 

Sorry to jump into your thread, but @dogsout is surely right here. I'm always confused by how much you guys like Adrian. Someone called him the best back-up keeper in the league earlier in the season! Statistically, almost anyone would be better than Adrian. In the league alone, he made comfortably more mistakes leading to a goal per match than anyone else. This was covered up by you scoring lots of goals and winning the games, but they could cost precious points next time. He costs you a goal every five and a half games. Even Dubravka at Newcastle, who has had a shocker and leads the errors table only gives one every eight games. De Gea, who even his most ardent of supporters (that'll be me) is beginning to doubt costs one every thirteen this season. Bear in mind that this Adrian stat isn't even taking into account the Atletico game.

 

You guys need to recruit when you're strong, that's what United always did. A backup goalkeeper, a centre back to backup and challenge Gomez, and a centre forward are what you need. Perhaps a midfielder as well, if Kieta isn't trusted, Milner can't go on forever, and the Ox's injury problems might resurface. You can't rest on your laurels when Man City are your main rivals, and have an unlimited supply of money to strengthen their squad. What happens if Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, or Mane get injured? 

 

22 hours ago, Gabe said:

Yeah, I knew he was likely to go and that Zenit were interested, seems it was done all very quickly. Which is a good thing!

 

I wonder what the goalkeeper backup position will be for next season - Karius is an unknown (perhaps he's been excellent in Turkey?), Lonergran has moved on and Adrian - whilst he was very important for those initial 9 games - has too many errors in his game to be relied upon.

:quote:

 

Anyway, a few of us in here have said that the squad needs some added depth. Nobody is expecting any superstars to come through the door, but perhaps a few positions to provide some stable backup to allow some rotation when needed and to mix with youth for the inevitable 'second team' that will play the league cup games/early FA cup rounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure the Gomez challenger is the issue, a fit Matip is better than Gomez in my opinion. A replacement for Lovren is definitely required if the youngsters aren't ready to become 4th choice.

 

Of course, that is all predicated on Matip being fit, which seems to be a big ask.

 

As for a keeper, Adrian definitely isn't the keeper to deputise for Alisson. I'd rather an old head as opposed to a youngster though. Alisson is first choice for at least the next 5 years if he stays at the club so they may as well get someone who can be a handy fill in rather than a youngster.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@feltmonkey I was banging on about Keita in here for ages before we signed him and I'm confident I'll be vindicated on that next season. He looks ready now. I agree about the other positions you mentioned apart from centre forward. The lack of depth on the wings is what bothers me. Origi is decent cover for the left but for the right all we have is Shaqiri or Ox.

 

I'm hoping we make the most of our current position and bring in someone that can cover both sides without us having to make stylistic changes to accommodate them. A lot of people were wetting their knickers when we didn't get Werner - many of them made the claim that he was that player but I have my doubts. He's looked at his best when playing upfront alongside a target man, or playing on the shoulder as the lone striker. Admittedly, I've only seen him play on the left for Germany a few times, but he looked uncomfortable out there and struggled. Once you factor in his wages I think it's easy to understand the club's hesitation to sign him in the current market. I expect we'd have taken the punt if there wasn't competition for him, which would have afforded us some wiggle room to negotiate both the fee, and especially, the wages down.

 

I'm not suggesting we'll be able to get another Mane or Salah level guy. But I would hope we can find someone that suits the profile of what we really need there and not have to put up with people that can 'do a job' when needed instead of someone that can do the specific job we need them to when one of Mane or Salah isn't available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned him during the Bundesliga restart, but seeing as we're talking transfers, I'd love to see Julian Brandt as a Liverpool player.

 

Realistically though, I think we're looking at squad players to fill in at the back, and maybe Thiago if the rumours are to be believed. I can't see us selling both Shaqiri and Wilson this season, so if one goes the other stays, and Jones, Williams and Elliott all see some more game time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 16:44, Keiths_Dad said:

I mentioned him during the Bundesliga restart, but seeing as we're talking transfers, I'd love to see Julian Brandt as a Liverpool player.

 

Realistically though, I think we're looking at squad players to fill in at the back, and maybe Thiago if the rumours are to be believed. I can't see us selling both Shaqiri and Wilson this season, so if one goes the other stays, and Jones, Williams and Elliott all see some more game time.


Brandt was the player Klopp wanted to sign before the transfer committee recommended Salah instead.

 

It looks like Shaqiri isn’t going anywhere and I expect Wilson to be sold or loaned out again next season. Brewster seems like a good option but he might go out on loan again because Klopp doesn’t seem to want to send Elliot out on loan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's silly rumour time now with every other club being linked to lots of big-name signings whilst we just sit back and observe - which I totally get, for both financial and balance of the team reasons.

 

Still, I wonder if Jadon Sancho would've been a player Klopp would've wanted if the price was anywhere near reasonable? Pacey, can score, young and has lots of potential - something you just know Klopp would've been able to improve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bradigor said:

Peter Moore is leaving the club. He was actually really good for us, so hope nothing is unsettled too badly. 

 

He said his replacement has been a massive part of the clubs success the last few years and will be great in the job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like Adrian, but I'm soft as anything.  He has such spirit, he loves being at Liverpool.  He's made a few mistakes I know :( but his heart is Liverpool

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really something to see how much the players outside of the first team seem to love being there so much. Adrian, Lovren, Lallana, Moreno, Origi. All of those players knew that they were only getting game time when other players were injured or tired. And yet they all seemed to genuinely love just being in the squad. No doubt the pay-checks help with that but you can't fake the exuberance that shone from all of them.

 

It's only been Clyne that's really stood out in the last few years. And maybe Shaqiri a little bit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2020 at 15:45, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

It's really something to see how much the players outside of the first team seem to love being there so much. Adrian, Lovren, Lallana, Moreno, Origi. All of those players knew that they were only getting game time when other players were injured or tired. And yet they all seemed to genuinely love just being in the squad. No doubt the pay-checks help with that but you can't fake the exuberance that shone from all of them.

 

It's only been Clyne that's really stood out in the last few years. And maybe Shaqiri a little bit?

 

Haha yeah I almost wanted Lovren to stay just because of his bromance with Mo. Same with Lallana and Hendo.  Moreno looked like the best guy to have in the dressing room too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JLM said:

 

Haha yeah I almost wanted Lovren to stay just because of his bromance with Mo. Same with Lallana and Hendo.  Moreno looked like the best guy to have in the dressing room too.


I can’t believe Lallana wound up with 14 at Brighton by chance :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a little aggrieved that after winning the league, the European Cup and being world champions, combined with no transfers last year, it’s Man Utd who are making waves with the £90mn signing of Sancho and Chelsea said to be courting Havertz. 
 

I know they’ve been proven right with the transfer policy and who am I to criticise after all the achievement but, having lived through the ‘80s and ‘90s, not building when you’re on top and constantly evolving and grabbing the best is worrying. 
 

I don’t think we should just get anyone for the sake of it and Sancho’s wages sound crazy, I’d just like to see us in the mix a little more instead of hanging back while the big kids go first like we’re still finishing 8th. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those aren't the players those teams need to sign. Chelsea have bought a bunch of attackers when their defense is awful and while I'm sure Sancho will tear it up in the Europa League knock out stages he isn't the player United are most in need of for next season. The lack of new signings don't worry me, it would be nice to sign a fourth central defender now Lovren has left but with AFCON postponed and Elliot coming through I'm sure our squad will be fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I am a little aggrieved that after winning the league, the European Cup and being world champions, combined with no transfers last year, it’s Man Utd who are making waves with the £90mn signing of Sancho and Chelsea said to be courting Havertz. 
 

I know they’ve been proven right with the transfer policy and who am I to criticise after all the achievement but, having lived through the ‘80s and ‘90s, not building when you’re on top and constantly evolving and grabbing the best is worrying. 
 

I don’t think we should just get anyone for the sake of it and Sancho’s wages sound crazy, I’d just like to see us in the mix a little more instead of hanging back while the big kids go first like we’re still finishing 8th. 


Has that happened? BBC say that they are no closer to signing Sancho. As is said it’s a case of them blowing money on names rather than the right player which is why they are where they are despite spending a king’s ransom regularly for the last five or so years. 
 

I’d be more incredibly disappointed in Sancho taking what is a step back professionally just for monster wages. He’d be best staying out for a couple more seasons and further developing himself and moving into one of the big European sides. He’s at Dortmund! Possibly the lost scouted team in Europe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Players like Sancho will not come to us to sit on the bench, they want first team football which we can't give him. We need to look at improving our bench & any young players than have potential to develop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.