rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Pope needs to remain in a team where he has plenty to do, because he's very much a shot-stopper. I'm not sure he can do the things Allison and Ederson can.

Neck Williams would be first choice right-back in any other team, what an understudy to Trent! We are so spoiled at full-back, especially considering some of the clowns we've had to suffer on the left.

I'd love to see the Curtis Jones heat map for today, he has been everywhere. 

Neco has been excellent too. I hope we can get Elliot on at some point. 

We're clearly shit, as we won't break a record that has stood for as long as Liverpool have been a club. #KloppOut

We've had chances but the shooting boots have been left in the dressing room, it would seem.

Salad should have won it and Burnley’s equaliser came from a free kick that should never have been given but you can’t win them all. Burnley played well, Pope kept them in and they got the point. I still hope we can beat City’s points record but the last three games are going to be tough.

Poor 2nd half that. Would help if Mo could find his shooting boots.

Winning the league was awesome but it'd be nice to bag some of those records. We just lost the opportunity to get the win every home game one and now have to win all the next 3 to get the points total.

That was a frustrating watch, we were nowhere near good enough in the final third.

Bit of a crap way to end the potential to win all home games, but Salah was poor today and should've won it at the death.

We were almost pitiful in the 2nd half, just trying the same thing over and over, to no avail. It's been a long time since I was so cross at one of our performances. 

@CheekyLee I know, right? It seems stupid to be annoyed by that after the season we've had, but I am too! :lol:

That's the first game this season where I had no belief that we'd grab a late winner, because were really quite lethargic and lacking any ideas - summed-up I think when Firmino had about 12 touches in the Burnley box without going anywhere and then losing the ball.

Oh well, nothing we can do now. There are still some records to aim for (most wins, most points and biggest gap vs second place), so let's hope the players raise their performance for those games.

• Empathy 1

Guys.... guys... we've won the league after 30 years. Anything else is a bonus. We've won the league after 30 YEARS!!!!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Guys.... guys... we've won the league after 30 years. Anything else is a bonus. We've won the league after 30 YEARS!!!!

I know, and as I said in my very first line, I am well aware it is stupid to be annoyed.

I'm fine now and in relation to the game I thought Williams and Jones looked decent (though @CheekyLee is getting extremely carried away suggesting Williams would be "first choice right-back at any other team"), was a shame Elliott didn't get a run out, especially for the last 15 minutes when we lack ideas.

3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Neck Williams would be first choice right-back in any other team

1876378576_giphy(1).gif.169a48160fb9acf69179e37436b07c39.gif

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

Yeah not arsed, never forget that Vincent Kompany freak goal v Leicester just after losing 3-0 v Barcelona, this after Kiev '18 and whats happened since

• Upvote 1

Normally you’d just think fuck it , we won the league, it’s understandable their foot is off the gas, but the problem is that the new season starts almost straight after this one so there’s nothing in between a meaningless capitulation in the last game and the first game where points are crucial again. 

1 hour ago, sprite said:

We really struggle without Henderson AND Milner 

We didn’t really struggle yesterday apart from finishing. Don’t really see what Henderson and Milner would have done to help that but who knows. 

1 hour ago, sprite said:

We really struggle without Henderson AND Milner 

Our midfield is generally quite workmanlike rather than full of creativity so Henderson and Milner wouldn't necessarily have changed that aspect, but might've made us more solid so we didn't concede.

Better shooting would've helped, too.

To be honest, since January our form has been pretty patchy - good enough to win games, of course, but since the restart only the Palace game saw us back to how we know the team can play. 

It’s the leadership aspect for me. Not so much about the technique or the play. Lacking that kinda head in the team, in the midfield, hurts us.

You'd hope, being the captain, Henderson would have dragged the players out of their stupor in the second half. Milner also fulfills that too, but to a lesser extent.

Without the crowd noises you can clearly hear the constant talking from Henderson, always talking to his team mates.

Yeah, Henderson's a very good communicator on the pitch, as is Van Dijk. I don't think that in itself would've changed the result though, the midfield lacks - and has done for a long time - somebody who can play that cute pass to unlock a defence when teams are well disciplined and sitting back.

Neither Arsenal or Chelsea are good enough to sit back and defend for 90 minutes so I expect those to be more open games and hopefully with the extra space we can play a bit more expansively and get the wins.

What's this talk about extending Lovren's contract? This better just be a ploy to force Zenit into buying him this summer. 

4 minutes ago, Azrael said:

What's this talk about extending Lovren's contract? This better just be a ploy to force Zenit into buying him this summer. 

Klopp is trying a new 1-6-3 formation from here on out with just Lovren at the back. Selling Van Dijk to City and Gomez to United. Only fair way to make next season competitive, innit.

He’s just in the squad cos he keeps Salah happy right? :lol: 

Because we likely not adding to the squad during the next window, so better to keep as many as we can right now. We don't have a ready and waiting replacement for him in the U23s who will be able to improve on him (now). With others leaving we have Jones / Elliot who look ready and also Brewster / Wilson back as options from loans. Although I expect Wilson to be sold / loaned again. 

From the Guardian:

Jürgen Klopp’s champions will be presented with the trophy, the club’s first of the Premier League era, after next Wednesday’s final home game of the season against Chelsea. Liverpool’s players, led by the captain Jordan Henderson, have been involved in planning the trophy ceremony and will receive their medals and the coveted silverware on a podium constructed on the Kop.

Seats have been removed to create space for the temporary construction, and the club legend Kenny Dalglish will be involved in a presentation that will adhere to Covid-19 health and safety protocols.

Supporters’ banners will surround the podium and will be fireproofed to avoid any incidents with pyrotechnics. Liverpool players embraced the idea of a presentation on the Kop as a way of acknowledging fans while football continues to behind closed doors.

Champions :wub:

Our press has been excellent so far, I've lost count of how many times we've won the ball in their half.