rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

4 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Just think of all the joy we've given to Man U fans tonight. Finally, they've had something to cheer about. Their biggest night iof the season is their local rivals, who are 21 points ahead of them, beating their biggest rivals who are 34 points ahead, after said biggest rivals have already won the title.

You do realise you lost to Manchester City right? Even after winning the league, you still can't get Manchester United of your head lol.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

This result just shows that if we are slightly off our game (for whatever reason), we lose (see Watford, Atlectico away, Napoli for other instances). Carragher also said it in commentary that City are a better technical side, and I think that's true, whilst we're more the sum of our parts.

Footballs teams lose though. There’s never been a side that just doesn’t lose. We are going to lose some games. 

37 minutes ago, christaylor said:

Fuck me, can we get this ridiculous thread title changed back please.

Yes, if everyone promises to calm down a bit. 

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Yes, if everyone promises to calm down a bit. 

Errrrrrrm he said changed back. Where is the CHAMPIONS part

I have put it back in the title, let's leave it with this until the new season starts.

Was good to see Klopp fuming after the match.

• Upvote 1

This is an incredibly boring game. The passing is too slow and the movement isn't there. Villa looking decent on the break and have had the only real chance so far.

It's not just a boring game, we've been terrible. Passing is all over the place, there's absolutely no goal threat and Villa continue to look close to getting it right on the break.

We're just not working hard, final balls are a bit lazy.  Can't say I blame the players, but I think I've seen Van Dijk put more passes off target in 45 minutes than in all other games since we bought him. If we wake up at all this game is there to win, and Trent at least ended the half looking like he was finding his range.

Minamino for Origi, Shaqiri for Ox. Both have something to prove.

The team has been playing at full tilt for 2 years now. Mentally I think they are on holiday. They will not admit it, but it is the case I think. Nothing left to play for in reality (yeah, yeah, records and all that). Can't blame them for a drop off, despite it being frustrating to watch. 

That's certainly a possibility, which to me would be a bit of a worry around the ability to motivate players. Man City didn't drop off in their 100-point season (and they certainly could've), the great Man U or Arsenal teams wouldn't either. And it's more frustrating giving the drubbing we had on Thursday, you'd want a response from players regardless of the necessity of it in terms of points.

And Villa nearly get in again - this is just a really poor performance all around.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That's certainly a possibility, which to me would be a bit of a worry around the ability to motivate players. Man City didn't drop off in their 100-point season (and the certainly could've), the great Man U or Arsenal teams wouldn't either. And it's more frustrating giving the drubbing we had on Thursday, you'd want a response from players regardless of the necessity of it in terms of points.

And Villa nearly get in again - this is just a really poor performance all around.

They also didn't have a 3 month break in the middle of the season and zero fans to play in front of after wrapping the title up. You can't read anything into this, as it isn't a normal situation to compare any previous season too. 

• Upvote 1

There you go. One moment of cohesion and they are ripped open. 

@bradigor We had a similar conversation like this the other day, so I won't labour the point - but I don't think the strangeness of this season should change how players should approach every game, they are top-level professionals, after all. I shall say no more.

Anyway, hopefully we can hang on to this lead, but I don't think it makes the concerns disappear.

• Upvote 1

Firmino and Henderson have made a huge difference, bringing some hunger on to the field with them.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@bradigor We had a similar conversation like this the other day, so I won't labour the point - but I don't think the strangeness of this season should change how players should approach every game, they are top-level professionals, after all. I shall say no more.

Anyway, hopefully we can hang on to this lead, but I don't think it makes the concerns disappear.

We did, didn't we. :lol: Shows how dull the game has been. 

So what's the different between Pogbas pentaly at Spurs or Sterlings against us and Salah being pulled back there?

Tyler going in about Salahs "reputation" because of a few penalties he won 2 years ago. He gets fouled so much but stays on his feet and gets fuck all for it. They never mention those times do they :rolleyes:

Lovely move, well finished.

Harsh on Villa, they were the better team for 70 minutes.

Jones starting and finishing that. Very positive move. 

Seeing Williams come on for about 2 minutes disappoints me, especially after Klopp saying it wasn't giving appearances out like Christmas presents. I said this the other day (say I won't continue to repeat myself :P), but in the nicest possible way I hope Jones/Williams/Elliott don't qualify for winners medals, because they haven't earned it and it won't (shouldn't) mean anything to them. Instead, it should be used as motivation to make them hungry to do well and put themselves in a position to merit a medal next time.

Anyway, off my soapbox now; a really poor performance for 70 minutes and with any kind of cutting edge Villa could've put that game to bed long before we scored. Still, another 3 points, another home win so will stop grumbling now. :lol:

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Seeing Williams come on for about 2 minutes disappoints me, especially after Klopp saying it wasn't giving appearances out like Christmas presents. I said this the other day (say I won't continue to repeat myself :P), but in the nicest possible way I hope Jones/Williams/Elliott don't qualify for winners medals, because they haven't earned it and it won't (shouldn't) mean anything to them. Instead, it should be used as motivation to make them hungry to do well and put themselves in a position to merit a medal next time.

Anyway, off my soapbox now; a really poor performance for 70 minutes and with any kind of cutting edge Villa could've put that game to bed long before we scored. Still, another 3 points, another home win so will stop grumbling now. :lol:

At the same time though, these games mean nothing and we’ll never get a better chance to bed in youngsters. Yes 2 minutes isn’t going to give him a lot but it’s still game time. I’d rather he bring someone on that not use all our subs. 

Good win that, we remember the great results but this title was built on a lot of games where we weren’t great but managed to nick a goal and close it out.

19 minutes ago, dizogg said:

At the same time though, these games mean nothing and we’ll never get a better chance to bed in youngsters. Yes 2 minutes isn’t going to give him a lot but it’s still game time. I’d rather he bring someone on that not use all our subs. 

Good win that, we remember the great results but this title was built on a lot of games where we weren’t great but managed to nick a goal and close it out.

That's the logic that says reserve games aren't helpful for developing players - and so if these games really do mean nothing (I don't agree, but I accept many people probably would), then they aren't really going to be getting all that much from them, especially not if they only get about 15 minutes max.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

That's the logic that says reserve games aren't helpful for developing players - and so if these games really do mean nothing (I don't agree, but I accept many people probably would), then they aren't really going to be getting all that much from them, especially not if they only get about 15 minutes max.

I don’t really mean they mean nothing. I think it’s pretty obvious what I meant... there’s nothing riding on them for us, but they are premier league games (and against teams like Villa who really do have something to play for). 

Jones, Williams and Elliot are being groomed to be our next second string, they won’t be first choice starters next season. So their role will be to come on as subs etc. So it makes sense to get them prepared for that and also see if they are actually up to it.

Basically let Klopp get on with it mate I’m sure he’s got it covered. You don’t see them in training, if someone has been amazing in training all week then that should be rewarded.

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice if we went out and battered someone to hammer it home.