rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

After the 2nd match of the season, for me. Beating Burnley 3-0 was just business as usual, but Southampton at St. Andrews had the potential to be the first speed bump. We hadn't played particularly well, and we conceded. If Southampton got the draw, we couldn't have complained. But, we rode it, and with nothing spectacular happening I felt we showed a solidity, and a will to win when talent let us down.

It certainly set a pattern, with a few matches that could have ended very differently. Most will cite the Leicester game, which was a wonderful performance, but I think the more effective and ruthless Liverpool we saw set my own mind at ease. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Wolves away midweek after the Man Utd game, on the ropes against a very good team, still won 2-1, it was the last of the tough fixtures in a tough schedule in December & January

I started to think something different was happening when we came from behind to beat Villa away in the last 5 minutes or so, as it was a combo of late goals plus coming from behind in a game we weren't doing all that great in - something we are getting very good at! But I'm with @JamesTW, it was properly after the Wolves game - a tough game with another late goal to seal the points. The Leicester game was obviously a fabulous performance and result, but that only served to push them out of the title race and, as others have said, we've had a number of false dawns where our results have fallen away in January.

• Upvote 1

That Aston Villa game was definitely when I started to think this could be our year. On a personal note it's now the game that upsets me the most when reminiscing about the season due to the stark contrast of how I'm feeling now compared to then. But what a game that was :wub:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I said it before the season started that we’d win it comfortably. Never had a doubt. I’ve never seen a side this good in my time, not just Liverpool see I mean Prem side, last year they missed out freakishly but I knew that they’d even improve on that. Only extreme bad luck with injuries (or a global pandemic) was going to prevent the inevitable. This team is immense, better than the Invincibles, United’s ‘08 era, Mourinho’s Chelsea and even Guardiola’s 100 pointers. Hopefully they prove that by smashing that record points total. 

Better than United from 2008? That is a bit premature no? Don't get me wrong, this Liverpool team is sensational and if you win the league for the next 2 years then I will hold my hands up and say fair play. Of course, I am biased, but that Man U team had everything and only the greatest club team of all time stopped us winning consecutive Champions Leagues. You could even argue both teams were quite similar in the way they set-up. We had midfielders who on the face of it were not world class outside of Scholes (Fletcher, Park, Carrick and Hargreaves) but excelled at their individual tasks and worked incredibly hard for the team. Then the front 3, are you really saying Mane, Salah and Firminio are better than Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez? TAA is definitely better than Wes Brown, no argument there. Van Dijk is probably the best CB I have ever seen but Ferdinand and Vidic were immense together. It's a close call and I wish we could have seen them play against each other.

Not trying to piss on your parade btw, as much as I hate to say it, you guys have been the best team for quite some time now and I do appreciate just how good Klopp has you playing. with a better CB than Lovren and maybe a bit more depth going forward, I am extremely worried you will dominate for the next 3 to 4 years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I said it before the season started that we’d win it comfortably. Never had a doubt. I’ve never seen a side this good in my time, not just Liverpool see I mean Prem side, last year they missed out freakishly but I knew that they’d even improve on that. Only extreme bad luck with injuries (or a global pandemic) was going to prevent the inevitable. This team is immense, better than the Invincibles, United’s ‘08 era, Mourinho’s Chelsea and even Guardiola’s 100 pointers. Hopefully they prove that by smashing that record points total. 

Man, that's a real tough one. I think we are a fantastic side, I really do, but I...don't think it's better necessarily than any of those 4 you mention. For starters, each of those teams had a longevity plus won multiple titles as a team - something I think is really important before you can throw such accolades at them. We also have really ground out some results this season - a sign of champions, as they always say - but overall you'd probably say City still play the better football (and have done for a longer period).

I think we should also get to the end of the season first; we could end up losing the next 7 games and win the title by a few points - something that would definitely take the shine off things. And finally - I honestly am not sure it's better than the 87/88 team, which blew everybody away (longer unbeaten run from the start of the season, too). Not sure if you are old enough for that team though - but it was a brilliant, brilliant side.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, sith said:

Better than United from 2008? That is a bit premature no? Don't get me wrong, this Liverpool team is sensational and if you win the league for the next 2 years then I will hold my hands up and say fair play. Of course, I am biased, but that Man U team had everything and only the greatest club team of all time stopped us winning consecutive Champions Leagues. You could even argue both teams were quite similar in the way they set-up. We had midfielders who on the face of it were not world class outside of Scholes (Fletcher, Park, Carrick and Hargreaves) but excelled at their individual tasks and worked incredibly hard for the team. Then the front 3, are you really saying Mane, Salah and Firminio are better than Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez? TAA is definitely better than Wes Brown, no argument there. Van Dijk is probably the best CB I have ever seen but Ferdinand and Vidic were immense together. It's a close call and I wish we could have seen them play against each other.

Not trying to piss on your parade btw, as much as I hate to say it, you guys have been the best team for quite some time now and I do appreciate just how good Klopp has you playing. with a better CB than Lovren and maybe a bit more depth going forward, I am extremely worried you will dominate for the next 3 to 4 years.

We pushed that 2008/09 United team all the way under Rafa, but yeah there are a lot of similarities between that United and this Liverpool. 

Last season was a freak that in any other year, we win the title. 97 points and 2nd place is obscene. We can potentially get 200 points across two seasons, which is insane. But trophies matter and we need a follow up season with silverware, ideally a second league title and another trophy. 

Yet, I really think this 19th title lays to rest many ghosts of the past 30 years. We can now push on with confidence of being champions and not the weight of expectation that hurt us previously. 

Last season still a bit of a shame, fine margins we just draw that City game and it’s Invincible English & European Champions with 98 points, if we’d backed that up with this season we’d have a case for best or one of the best of all time

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, sith said:

It’s hard to argue with your points but this Liverpool side has only really been going since Allison joined and the last weak link was solved whereas all of the players at United you list had been around for a few years before that iteration of United really hit their stride. United were well beaten by the best side Pep has ever managed but this Liverpool team has still reached three European finals in four years and only lost twice in the league in nearly two seasons. But you need to win a number of titles to be considered one of the greats, this season is just proof that at their peak Liverpool this year are a class apart.

As for when I started to believe it was when City lost at Wolves. I’m also not sure why most commentators are so sure City will be back at their previous level next season, Pep tends to wear out his sides due to how hard he works them and unless he buys a new back line I cannot see buying someone like  Koulibaly sorting them out. 

Found the first bitter ex player no surprises for guessing it is Danny Murphy

What is the point that he’s trying to make? It’s very odd. Is he just raging for the sake of raging or is he seriously advocating that bullshit? 

The first part of the sentance is true KDB is the best midfielder in the world but they still lost the league so stand in line and clap your hands. :lol:

lol The Royvolution! :lol:

I KNEW this was ours when Alisson got the assist on that Salah goal against United.  That’s when we all knew, I think.

Leicester away though, that’s where I dared to believe.   This picture:

9D23D70B-73D1-42F2-925A-61E2613BDC9F.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Gonna chuck this here too, as I spoke a bit about the positive effect on mental health events like this can have. 

• Upvote 1

Looking back, I felt confident it was ours as early as the City game. Not living in Liverpool any more, I'm a bit more detached from it and I can look at it a bit more objectively than perhaps I would have if I was talking about it and second guessing everything constantly, but you could tell that our form from last season wasn't just a flash in the pan. It wasn't even that we were outstanding that day, but we did enough to win convincingly, and it was obvious that without Laporte, City weren't the same prospect as they had been previously. We went 8 points clear that day (with City a further point back), and barring a catastrophe we were never getting caught. The United and Leicester games just served to underline this.

I don't think I've watched a single game in the city this season, but I'll definitely be there for the parade, whenever that might be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Looking back, I felt confident it was ours as early as the City game. Not living in Liverpool any more, I'm a bit more detached from it and I can look at it a bit more objectively than perhaps I would have if I was talking about it and second guessing everything constantly, but you could tell that our form from last season wasn't just a flash in the pan. It wasn't even that we were outstanding that day, but we did enough to win convincingly, and it was obvious that without Laporte, City weren't the same prospect as they had been previously. We went 8 points clear that day (with City a further point back), and barring a catastrophe we were never getting caught. The United and Leicester games just served to underline this.

I don't think I've watched a single game in the city this season, but I'll definitely be there for the parade, whenever that might be.

I was weary of viewing the City result as a benchmark purely because we had lost a bigger lead (with fewer games remaining) last season. Plus, Leicester were also grinding out results at that point you and, well, you just never know. True, City were suffering from not having Laporte but they are (generally, based on the last few seasons) good enough to outscore teams to win in spite of their dodgy defence.

Anyway, I'm feeling rather ambivalent towards tonight's game, it's weird having the title won with so many games remaining and I'm not sure how to process it. I would love us to go on and get lots more records and yet I'm not feeling a massive excitement today.

Apparently City are going to spend big to rebuild in an effort to catch Liverpool next season. REBUILD? RE FUCKING BUILD? They have spent a ton and have the beat squad in world football. Jesus.... I look forward to next season. 

Well they need to replace Silva, Fernandinho and Sane; probably like to replace Otamendi, Walker and Stones if they could and there's paper talk about Aguero departing too. They have an aging squad too, don't forget, and Foden getting more games isn't going to fix their problems. They do build their depth up - just as we do.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Well they need to replace Silva, Fernandinho and Sane; probably like to replace Otamendi, Walker and Stones if they could and there's paper talk about Aguero departing too. They have an aging squad too, don't forget, and Foden getting more games isn't going to fix their problems. They do build their depth up - just as we do.

Point is, they shouldn't be needing to rebuild after the money they spent. They should have had the players in place to bring in, so maybe replacing one or two each summer / window. Not a multi-million pound rebuild in one summer to close the gap.