rllmuk

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Such a strange game. Like dropping down the difficulty to amateur but then dicking about, trying to unlock passing or assist trophies.

Absolute lad in the Kop wearing nothing but a polo too. Beer coat or not, he’s sticking two fingers up at November and saying, ‘is that the best you’ve got?’

Or he left his coat on the bus up the Walton Breck.

• Upvote 1

Sat at home bored out of my tiny mind, so I though I'd look at results from this season compared to last season for us and Man City.

Liverpool currently have 4 points more than they did in equivalent games against the same opponents from last season*. What I found crazy is, of the remaining 27 games, in last season's equivalent fixtures Liverpool won 22, drew 4 and only lost 1 for a total of 70 points. The only fixtures in which they can improve on results from last season are: Man City (H), West Ham (A), Everton (A), Man City (A) and Arsenal (A). In those games last season Liverpool scored 62 and conceded 14, including 18 clean sheets. They conceded more than once in four games.

By comparison, Man City yielded 31 points in the equivalent games from last season, so are currently 6 worse off in comparative games (incidentally after 11 games last season they had 31 points so either way have dipped). Of their remaining 27 games, last season they won 21, drew 2 and lost 4 gaining 65 points. They scored 64 and conceded 17, with only 14 clean sheets but only three sides managed to score more than once against them. The remaining games where they can improve on last season are: Liverpool (A), Newcastle (A), Wolves (A), Crystal Palace (H), Leicester City (A) and Chelsea (A).

Obvious takeaways: both team's home records are ridiculous, they rarely concede more than once and there really isn't much room for improvement for either side at their current pace. Sunday's game is one of the few opportunities for either side to do so, assuming there is a winner and not another draw. A nine point gap of course wouldn't be insurmountable because so many variables are different but even so a three point lead being overturned would require Liverpool to regress and City to improve on last season, which is actually quite remarkable.

What all this really means is I really need to get a job.

*for games against promoted sides, based the equivalent on last season's promoted teams e.g. Liverpool's first home game against a promoted side this season was Norwich, last season it was Cardiff.

• Upvote 3

Yeah almost certain Ederson will start. I’m betting he felt the slightest twinge so they didn’t want to risk it at all in a fairly innocuous game. Expecting to lose at the weekend. Would be happy with a draw. Would be ecstatic if we won.

We avoid the dream team of Atkinson, Taylor, Moss for the game vs City. 

We have Michael Oliver in the middle with Paul Tierney on VAR duties. 

Looking at it, there is No Atkinson / Taylor combo in any of the weekend games.

If we’re great we’ll win, if we’re good we’ll draw and if we’re still not quite there we’ll lose. 

I think it’ll be a 1-1 draw but anything could happen. I don’t think we’ve had a big up for it game for a while and it’s shown recently. We’ve looked a bit off but still managed to get wins. The game against City could be exactly what the team needs to spark us off and remind us how good we can be. We might smash them. 

15 hours ago, bradigor said:

We avoid the dream team of Atkinson, Taylor, Moss for the game vs City. 

We have Michael Oliver in the middle with Paul Tierney on VAR duties. 

Looking at it, there is No Atkinson / Taylor combo in any of the weekend games.

That’s a relief. I think Oliver is the best ref at the moment. 

A clean sheet would be a nice starting point. But wouldn't be surprised if City win, then we win at their place later in the season. Feels suitably massive and unpredictable though, even the bookies have it too close to call.

Even without a ticket would have loved to be around the ground for the (hopefully without incident) welcome both teams will get. Klopp asking everyone to get in early and make Anfield shake. Expect a big performance on and off the pitch.

BeIn have a countdown to kick-off clock up :lol:

They also had previews during half-time of Chelsea Palace yesterday and pretty much every opportunity when there weren’t goals to show, instead of analysis of the on-going games.

Nailed on 0-0 with that much build-up.

• gospvg changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20