rllmuk

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Amazing how much the 'pressure' on either team changed in a few short minutes. 

Us losing but City drawing was better than when we were drawing and City winning. Then we went/// fuck it. Let's just keep it at 6 points. 

27 more times to go. Everyone had a medical check-up recently?

They were talking up Leicester being in the title race at about 75 minutes because of the current scores. Some tweeting in to say it could be their year again. 

With us though now, I honestly think we send teams into a panic late on. That is our 35th 90+ minute goal in the Premier League era. TEN more than any other team.

• Upvote 1

10 points from losing positions already this season. Was 16 last season.

Obviously can’t keep leaving it so late, but the willingness of this side to dig deep time and again is genuinely astounding.

13 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Fuck right off. Armpit? This is utterly ridiculous.

In today’s world that’s ‘a mile offside’ compared to the one ruled out for Son against Leicester :o 

Heck of a win for your lot, relentless pressure - very impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Seems like a reasonable measure of the success, or otherwise, of VAR so far is: are we (and pundits on MOTD etc.) spending more or less time discussing and disagreeing with the decisions? It feels like it's dramatically more to me, and practically every game has some debate about something that should or shouldn't have been overruled. It's completely ridiculous that we've ended up in this situation where these fractional calls are being minutely examined, holding up games, ruining goal celebrations, and rarely even reaching a more correct outcome anyway.

Many of the incidents that have been agonised over in this manner haven't made any real difference anyway. For example, if Firmino's (non-)goal had happened pre-VAR, replays and analysis after the game would have shown that it was incredibly close, and probably neither set of fans would have been too put out if it had been allowed or ruled out, because it was basically impossible to call. VAR intervening has actually made that situation much worse.

• Upvote 5

It's a tough one. I want the decisions to be correct and a video replay can definitely catch things that would have been missed otherwise. I can't agree that some guys  running around trying to follow the game and eyeball every decision is the optimal way to enforce the rules, but then some of the VAR calls have been either incorrect or so insanely petty that you'd rather they left it alone. I will say that I noticed when it wasn't there for the Carabao Cup game and one of Arsenal's goals was blatantly offside but wasn't called. There was also a very strong shout for a handball/penalty decision that was missed.

I'm not sure if the length of time pundits spend flapping their gums about everything is really a measure of anything though, as there are still plenty of decisions that come down to opinion and they have a lot of TV time to fill. Plus VAR is the hot topic of the day so they're going to talk about everything it does ad nauseum. The headline when VAR absolutely correctly overrules a bad refereeing call is still always "ARSENAL DRAW AFTER VAR CONTROVERSY" rather than "CORRECT VAR DECISION PREVENTS UNFAIR RESULT".

I think the implementation has been clumsy, inconsistent and poorly communicated  but I'm for the idea in principle.

• Upvote 3

The VAR arguments tend to be against: Life is imperfect and unfair so why should football be any different? And for: Because technology means it can be. 

Except it’s proven it can’t. 

I’ve always been against it because football’s always been a subjective thing and that’s part of the fun. Hours of TV are spent discussing it and that will continue to happen even if all decisions were perfect because they can’t be. Someone will always say a foul wasn’t a foul or vice versa. It’s makes VAR pointless because you could have 3D Hawkeye tech or x-ray vision of bone movement to show contact and still have arguments about intent or if a ball was won. 

We went 100+ years without it and it was fine. It seems silly to fuck with just because some nerds like tech. 

Innovation is fine and the goal line decision thing works well (though I don’t love it as a Luddite purist). 

Anything that takes the pro game further away from a Sunday game at the park needs to really demonstrate its worth and even then I’m wary. I like that football is a simple game for all and that guys from the pub team can play the same game as the pros. 

The joy we felt at that ghost goal against Chelsea in 2005 or the anger at Ramos in 2018. These things are part of football and VAR is meant to take them away. All it does, though, is make them worse. 

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, glb said:

Club has confirmed Carabao Cup QF will take place on December 17th, with CWC SF being played on December 18th.

Safe to assume there will be several changes between games!

Good luck against Villa boys!

thumb_28493_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • gospvg changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20