rllmuk

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Yeah unfortunately FIFA probably has a fine / punishment in place for clubs not fielding full-strength sides.

At least it’s only a seven hour flight for this one. Japan would have been more arduous in 2005, albeit still think travel is far less of a factor with nutrition, hydration and recovery so much more on point now.

Had we got Everton or Man United would be more arsed about the quarter final, but not fussed if the Academy side played at Villa Park. Not to be disrespectful to Villa, just at some point competitions have to be prioritised. Would hope the club has it as the league, Europe, FA Cup, League Cup.

Club World Cup is an exhibition tournament, only South American sides seem that bothered about it, and couldn’t give two hoots if we lost the semi-final and sandbagged the 3rd/4th play-off. Maybe with a convenient ‘virus’ forcing players to be rested.

True, and a day out at Wembley is never to be sniffed at. Think Villa might field a strong team in anticipation of ours being inexperienced / weakened so such talk may all be moot anyway. 

Disagree about the WCC. I know it’s a bit of a nothing tournament but you don’t get to play it every year and you get to wear that gold badge if you win it which would be nice to have on next season’s kits. I’d rather that than the league cup just for novelty value. 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Disagree about the WCC. I know it’s a bit of a nothing tournament but you don’t get to play it every year and you get to wear that gold badge if you win it which would be nice to have on next season’s kits. I’d rather that than the league cup just for novelty value. 

I want the league. Travelling for a novelty trophy can have a far bigger negative effect on winning the league, then getting all the way through the League Cup can. 

8 minutes ago, glb said:

I’ll knock up a gold badge for your shirt if you like. It can say ‘Pockets Is Da Best’ and have a picture of a grinning Stevie G giving a thumbs up.

Oh.. so you designed 'THAT' Leeds badge. I did wonder ;) 

• Upvote 1

World Cup>League Cup

It's something the club have never won before and you don't get that many chances to win the bloody thing. 

Plus it'd be an early Christmas present from Jurgen and the boys to me. Which is nice. 

• Upvote 1

Nobody's asking me, but I rarely let that stop me from giving my opinion. I say we should prioritise the CWC over the Carabao simply because it's against different types of opposition. Any kids that we take are going to get some much more valuable experience against the likes of River Plate than they would against Villa. I think we have it in us to win without working too hard, whereas Villa will be breaking their necks to beat us. Resting some of our top dogs in a wet December week where the rest of the league are beating each other up could be quite the tonic.

Of course, foregoing the CWC could force a conversation with FIFA about their stupid insistence on pushing teams all around the world in the first place, so maybe that would be preferable on a larger scale. But I would much rather be saying to the people I work with "Champions of Europe, and the whole World" than "It wasn't a Mickey Mouse cup when you won it last year, though, was it?"

Crunched the numbers, and data suggests:

CWC Pros

CheekyLee and Pockets like it. Got to respect that.

Liverpool have never won it. History to be made!

The trophy looks like a Terminator's arm holding up one of C3PO's bollocks.

CWC Cons

FIFA Corporate Wankfest.

Being played in Satan's arsehole or something.

Means we play 852 games in December, instead of 850.

Probably will be the end of the club due to the inability to field an Ultimate Legends XI according to FIFA Bylaw 14.3.2a.

• Upvote 3

Alongside Liverpool, Flamengo and River Plate are in contention to qualify (they play the Copa Liberdatores final on 23rd November).

Other than them, taking part are Monterray (Mexico), Al-Sadd (hosts, known locally as The Boss’), ES Tunis (Tunisia, natty red and yellow kit, look like Melchester Rovers) and Hienghène Sport (New Caledonia). So, a fin- wait. New Caledonia?  Not even a country, it’s a special collectivity of France, apparently. Might as well play Quidditch.

Honestly, its about as glamorous a gathering as the shit backstage party in Wayne’s World 2.

I might try and get tickets.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, glb said:

Sure, just very surprised Lallana is the preferred option to come in. This Norbert Klopp fella best know what he’s doing!

I think Lallana was playing the 6 role on Wednesday, whereas I reckon Henderson will be doing that this time.

I think Lallana is one of the only options, Keita went off injured in mid week, Oxlade-Chamberlain completed 80 minutes and is too early in his recovery to play again after a short break.

Not unless Klopp fancies giving one of the youngsters a go again.

15 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Lallana is definitely the deepest lying midfielder, I suppose Klopp has decided there won't be much defending to worry about on their part.

Certainly didn’t bother on that free kick.

8 minutes ago, Adrock said:

That looked very tight to me, the Villa goal was obviously on side and they took ages looking at it. Firmino's looked like a tighter call and they took less time to check it.

If it's so tight then surely its ruled as onside. 

I've gone from someone that wanted VAR to wanting it scrapped. They have fucked this.up so much and we're only 11 games in.

• Empathy 1
  • gospvg changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20