Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

I think the first month or two are going to be extremely important this season, being a world cup year means the clubs with a lot of internationals will need to navigate the first few fixtures carefully.

Would be nice to see that new depth show it's qualities before the big guns are back in contention.

49 minutes ago, Adrock said:

I think the first month or two are going to be extremely important this season, being a world cup year means the clubs with a lot of internationals will need to navigate the first few fixtures carefully.

Would be nice to see that new depth show it's qualities before the big guns are back in contention.

How long does it take a professional athlete to be ready to play football? I go a week between 5 a sides all year round and I’m hardly fit. I’d expect professionals with nothing else to do to be ready to go after a couple of weeks at the most. How much rest do they need?

@Pockets

You're not playing at the peak of your ability and don't need to play at the peak. If a professional player isn't in peak condition the difference could mean millions of pounds lost. Again that doesn't relate to you either.

You may as well ask why is pre season required if the players are already fit? The truth is the rest and the pre season are important parts, if they weren't clubs wouldn't do them.

At the elite level the difference between success and failure are fractional. I don't think it's remotely anything like me or you running around a five a side football pitch once a week.

30 minutes ago, Pockets said:

How long does it take a professional athlete to be ready to play football? I go a week between 5 a sides all year round and I’m hardly fit. I’d expect professionals with nothing else to do to be ready to go after a couple of weeks at the most. How much rest do they need?

Adrock put it more eloquently that this but :lol: what a completely irrelevant comparison. It makes you sound like a fucking idiot!

4 hours ago, milko said:

I do wonder why so many players start falling over with cramp if they play a bit longer than normal, mind you. Are they really tuned that precisely for a 90 minute runaround?

Well they are literally playing 90 mins max for 99% of their whole career so I guess that’s why. 

A fit and hungry Sturridge is a much more likely source of goals than Solanke at his fittest and hungriest. If he realises that he isn't a starter because he can't be relied upon, and accepts a supersub position, then this could be an exceptional season for him. But, if he moans and cries and continues to get injured for putting his socks on too quickly, then it really is game over for him.

We'll know exactly what Moruinho thinks of us when we play them in the US on Saturday. I know that pre-season is nothing, but I really hope he goes for the traditional Jose-bus but still gets unpicked and we hammer them!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/27/crystal-palace-danny-ings-liverpool

Crystal Palace have intensified efforts to sign Danny Ings but will have to meet Liverpool’s £20m valuation and convince the striker to relaunch his career at Selhurst Park to secure the 26-year-old this summer.

Besiktas have made an approach for the goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who can leave for about £12m following the £65m signing of Alisson, and are awaiting a decision from the Belgium international on his willingness to move to Istanbul.

One player who seems destined to depart is the forgotten Lazar Markovic, with the club opening talks with the Greek club Olympiakos.

£20m for Ings is a ridiculous amount of money for how many games he's played since joining Liverpool. I doubt Mignolet will move to Besiktas so I expect him to stay and I'm happy for Markovic to finally escape Liverpool. He looked so good when I saw him play for Benfica but it just hasn't worked out for him at Liverpool.