Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Gotta be Matip, but I'm happy to have Lovren there as the 3rd option and Klavan as 4th. Gives us way more depth, especially for those early FA and League Cup games.

Salah and VvD in straight away shows we mean buisness and Klopps getting what he needs. Exciting times.

So if we get VvD, our first choice defensive partnership would be one player who is free and the other that cost £60m.  Not sure if it helps to just split the difference to consider the pair as costing £60m or £30m each.

Man City and Chelsea were also well known to be in contact with the player too. Although against the rules all clubs usually 'tap' a player to see if they are interested in a move before opening formal transfer negotiations.  If Liverpool are incompetent for doing so so are every other club.  

I see it as Southampton publicly playing hardball, trying to force a higher transfer. And if Liverpool really do want him they'll have to pay the £60m+ Southampton want. No quibbling over a few million which has been all too characteristic of FSG. 

Liverpool is incompetent for getting caught.  We are already banned from signing academy players because of something like this.  It looks bad with apparently Klopp messaging VvD.  It is a bit strange Liverpool is being singled out in this situation though.

Liverpool have bought quite a few Southampton players so that doesn't help. Its also a play to the fans, they can point to this and say the player wanted to leave and he was tapped up.

It's all a big game.

Lukaku saying he has an agreement in place with an unnamed club; I hope our neighbours ask Southampton for the snitch hotline number...

All a bit silly really, one of those where most clubs probably skirt the limits with regards to tapping up, either through contacts or agents. Obviously we're just stupid enough to get caught. Helps Saints leverage a better deal for themselves so doff my cap to them for that.

If we're caught then it's all our own fault and we deserve what ever punishment we get. Amateur hour stuff.

I also don't see how in any shape or form this helps Southampton leverage a better deal. It's not like we are known to be the only club interested in the player. If anything it might make Southampton more willing to do a deal with another club if they think we're fucking them about.

I don't think it is a case of getting caught - this is how all clubs do business.  But someone at Southampton has clearly said enough is enough when it comes to Liverpool specifically taking their players.

If he comes I still think it will be the sought of deal that means a payment up front and then add ons depending on appearances etc. Won't be a straight 60-70mil.

That's IF he comes. Remember guys, this is silly season, we've already been linked to about 20 players before the window has opened!!

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I don't think it is a case of getting caught - this is how all clubs do business.  But someone at Southampton has clearly said enough is enough when it comes to Liverpool specifically taking their players.

That sounds more like supporter talk, than business talk to me. I'd wage they don't care who buys their players, as long as the approach is made within legal boundaries and they club is willing to pay what they want.

If they've reported us to the FA I think it's clear to say they think we've crossed a line.

It's just a strategy. Think about it. The talk has been City and Chelsea are both pushing to sign him. Now it's come out that he has chosen Liverpool. Goodbye bidding war. City and Chelsea withdraw and there's only one club to negotiate the price with. It's no coincidence that the media are reporting a price of up to 75m today. That's coming from Southampton briefing the press in order to get some control back. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyNolan said:

If we're caught then it's all our own fault and we deserve what ever punishment we get. Amateur hour stuff.

I also don't see how in any shape or form this helps Southampton leverage a better deal. It's not like we are known to be the only club interested in the player. If anything it might make Southampton more willing to do a deal with another club if they think we're fucking them about.

Pretty simple: pay X and we won't pursue the complaint.

Is that even possible once the complaint has been lodged with the FA?

I would have thought that once the complaint has been received then FA rules apply and the clubs are only involved in providing evidence to support their position.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I think the level of evidence provided could very well be dependent on the size of the final fee. Feels like Saints are just gaming the system to their own benefit.

Clubs rarely go through correct channels when it comes to transfers anyway, the first port of call will probably be to tap up an agent, either through a player on the same agent's books or similar, before going to the club directly.

The club may get sanctioned but more than likely this will disappear once VdV VvD hands in a transfer request, Southampton get their fat fee and Klopp gets his man.

2 hours ago, glb said:

The club may get sanctioned but more than likely this will disappear once VdV hands in a transfer request, Southampton get their fat fee and Klopp gets his man.

Van de Vaart?

If the price goes up to £75m, that's ridiculous. I know football transfers (in the Premier League) are stupid as is, but just think about how much better that money couldn't be spent. Are we really saying that you can't find a top class defender out there for £30m or less?

You could get an amazing striker or attacking midfielder for £75m

I know defence is our weakest point but should we really be throwing £60-75m at it on one player?

We could easily save a good chunk of that 60 million. Just find out who Southampton plan to sign to replace VVD and cut out the middle man!

I see the transfer market speculation is in full bonkers mode as apparently Roma want £40 million for Salah, which we won't pay, but are now interested in some fast winger at Sporting Lisbon who has a £50 million release clause. :lol:

Transfer prices are absolutely insane.

We'll sign him for £35m. This is more of the same thing. They're holding out for £40m, we leak stories that we're prepared to buy someone else if we have to. They've got to balance the books in order to comply with FFP. They're just trying it on. Similarly VVD won't cost £75m. That's just them trying to extract the most that they can from the deal after all of the stuff about £44m + £8m leaked the day before yesterday. 

That statement is utterly bizarre and makes no real sense if we were actually properly interested in him. I'm guessing there is more to this than meets the eye.  And as everyone above has said, I can't see us spending half our budget on one defender, he ain't THAT good!

He is that good... he'll end up at Barca or Madrid... that statement reads as "please don't give us a transfer ban we're sorry!!"

Surprised gerrard and carragher haven't been taping up our players like they did with the last few that left us for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk