Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

I have to admit I've seen nothing of him from his time at either Celtic or Southampton that justifies that sort of price tag.

He always appeared to be one of those defenders who is better attacking than defending, which is the last thing we need.

The money wanted for Salah is bonkers too. The transfer market is beyond fucked.

£60m?! Blimey. Surely there are some competent defenders around Europe that could be snaffled up for about a quarter (or less) of that price?

If defenders are going for that, how long before football transfers pass £100m, £150m... £200m and we just shrug and think it's normal?

Tbh I don't think any of these 'top defenders' would be fit to lace the boots of the guys playing in the 80's and 90's. It's just feeding their egos putting price tags like that on them. How about they actually prove it first eh?  

If Man City have built VvD for £60m that'll be £242m spent on Centre Backs in the past 4 years. And £319m since 08/09

Kompany - £7m

Kolo - £16m

Lescott - £22m

Boateng - £11m

Savic - £6m 

Nastasić - £12m

Demichelis - £3.5m

Mangala - £40m

Otamendi - £32m

Stones - £50m

We'll probably end up with Yoshida for £25m as this year's Southampton pick-up. 

5 hours ago, glb said:

£60m?! Blimey. Surely there are some competent defenders around Europe that could be snaffled up for about a quarter (or less) of that price?

If defenders are going for that, how long before football transfers pass £100m, £150m... £200m and we just shrug and think it's normal?

£8.5m for Stan Collymore was once a lot. 

£15m World Record for Shearer to Newcastle. 

So yeah, £150-£200m will one day be seen as the norm for an average player, let alone someone as good as a Shearer. 

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

If Man City have built VvD for £60m that'll be £242m spent on Centre Backs in the past 4 years. And £319m since 08/09

Kompany - £7m

Kolo - £16m

Lescott - £22m

Boateng - £11m

Savic - £6m 

Nastasić - £12m

Demichelis - £3.5m

Mangala - £40m

Otamendi - £32m

Stones - £50m

We'll probably end up with Yoshida for £25m as this year's Southampton pick-up. 

That's an incredible list. Stones is a bit shit but at £50m seems a bargain compared to others. 

VVD is quality. I don't know what you lot are smoking. Obviously the fee is massively inflated but that tends to happen when you've got three of the top four trying to sign the same player. I'd personally rather we tried our best to sign players the manager wants rather than just shying away and moving down the target list.

Also, the fee for Salah doesn't look bad. Did any of you watch any Roma games this season? He's quality. He was a constant threat for them in the games I watched this season. He was particularly menacing on the counter and constantly looked to take his man on and unsettle the defence. I think he'll fit in very well and I'm much more optimistic about him coming in than I was at the thought of Brandt. He looks a talent as well but I was worried that he doesn't have enough pace. That's definitely not a concern with Salah. 

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

£8.5m for Stan Collymore was once a lot. 

£15m World Record for Shearer to Newcastle. 

So yeah, £150-£200m will one day be seen as the norm for an average player, let alone someone as good as a Shearer. 

Remember Shearer moving and being unable to comprehend the amount, it seemed so ridiculous! Now Jordan Ibe moved for around the same :lol:  I know prices go up, but football economics are just so fragile. How the whole system has progressed is absolutely fascinating and baffling.

Until more transfer happen, I'm not sure what would be a reasonable price for a player this summer.  Salah might become a record signing, but it's a record every club would probably break a few times in the next few months.

I've not seen anything of Italian football recently, so have no idea what Salah is playing like. If he's playing like dogsout suggests he sounds exactly like the sort of player we need.

This does look like it'll be funny money time in the transfer market. City have already spent an absolute fortune. It'll be interesting to see what moves we make this summer.

It's not like I watch him week in, week out or anything, but I caught a few of their games last season and he impressed me everytime I saw him. I only watch the big games unless I have had a bet. He terrorised Juventus and Napoli, and scored quite a few scruffy goals in games against more modest opposition that were trying to stop Roma playing.

Watched VvD for Saints against Clarets. He was utterly brilliant. Between him and Kante for the best individual performance by a visiting player last season (Disclaimer: Wasn't at the Tottenham game.)

9 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Its good to know that FSG are backing Klopp in the market no matter what the fee. Benitez would have creamed his pants for this sort of support when he was managing us.

Aye, Rafa would have got his table and a lot less lampshades.