Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

I'll take 45 more minutes exactly like that first half, thanks. I got it wrong when I suggested earlier in the season that Sturridge would determine our league position, because I expected that he'd fill in in January while Mane was off to Africa. Turns out it's today and next weekend where he's the key instead. 

I'd keep Lucas, too. Experienced substitutes might be needed in Europe next season.

I know i'm biased but there is no way that 3rd should have stood. possible pen but definite head injury so play should have stopped.

Can't argue too much as you deserved the 2 goal lead before that and you should have really put the CL spot to bed long before now. 

Middlesbrough, not Sunderland.

Hard to read much from that game. West Ham looked like they were on the beach already. Score line was about right on the balance of play, but how the ref missed that penalty is anyone's guess. We certainly caught a break with that one.

The option of Sturridge was key to the success today. It meant the two strikers could occupy the defenders whilst Lallana could find space in between defence and midfield.

It worked well and with West Ham's second string central midfield Coutinho had plenty of time of time and space to do what he did today.

Rafa being immense. Again. Just build him a statue already.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/rafa-benitez-goes-beyond-call-duty-liverpool-fundraiser-125499

There's no way of knowing for sure who the soundest man on the planet is, but it's probably Rafa Benitez.

The former Liverpool boss attended the Run for the 96 event in Stanley Park on Sunday to support the runners who took part in the race to raise money for the LFC Foundation and Everton in the Community.

He may be managing Championship winners Newcastle United, but the time Rafa spent at the helm of Liverpool from 2004-2010 means the fans still hold him very dearly.

It's not difficult to understand why. Apart from being the man in charge of the club for that unforgettable Champions League triumph in 2005, he also does things like meet and greet those who took part in the Run for 96 race after they had crossed the finish line.

Benitez was happy to spend an extended period waiting on the sidelines, posing for photographs and talking to fans, not moving until everyone was happy and got what they wanted.

What a class act.

Worrying sense of inevitability about Coutinho moving. Get the feeling we signed him up in Jan to ensure the biggest fee we could get in summer. 

I've never understood selling your best players unless you have to. No matter how much we get, how could we replace him?

9 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Worrying sense of inevitability about Coutinho moving. Get the feeling we signed him up in Jan to ensure the biggest fee we could get in summer. 

I've never understood selling your best players unless you have to. No matter how much we get, how could we replace him?

The lure of the Spanish giants unfortunately in these times if a players wants to go then all we can do is ensure we get the most for him that we can & reinvest those funds into strengthening the squad. I'm hoping with CL qualification he will stay at least for next season.

If he wants to leave there's no point trying to keep him though. Especially when it's Barcelona calling. Might as well get a huge sum and hopefully get some more decent players in. 

For now (at least) we're a selling club when it comes to the likes of Barcelona wanting to buy. 

Unfortunately everyone is a selling club when Barca and Real come a-swooping. It's frustrating but we do the same to clubs lower down the table / other leagues. As said, just got to get the best price possible.

Would love him to stay but if one of the biggest companies in my industry offered me a role there's no way I'd turn it down so can't begrudge a player doing the same.

Why inevitable? Coutinho has never ever indicated he wants to leave. And the club won't bend over. No point in getting into the champions league and then selling your best player aka Suarez, that didn't work out well, I'm sure that the club has since learned from its mistakes 

I can only imagine us selling for £70m or something, but I don't think he's worth that to a Barcalona right now. He's fantastic but he's too inconsistent for that level imo. Barca and Real fans don't accept you having an off day. Especially if you cost a lot and are a new signing.