Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Everything bad about Liverpool at the moment stems from the lack of pace throughout the team. Even a single player in Mane to inject the pace makes a massive difference.

This summer Klopp needs to target a couple of attackers who have pace.

Everything recently has been very one paced, teams defending very high up the pitch with no threat of getting in behind at all.

Teams push up squeeze the game and then catch the Liverpool on the break when they get frustrated and make a mistake. Or just score from a set piece.

I don't think I can actually force myself to sit through the last couple of games. The quality of football from us has been mostly horrible since the turn of the year.

It'll be interesting to see what we do this transfer window, because we really need to players that bring something different to the team. The ability to have more than one way to play and some pace and width are desperately needed.

33 minutes ago, ryodi said:

No goalkeeper? Or have things gotten so bad that Mignolet is no longer the biggest issue with the squad?

No, he's been excellent in the second half of this season. Commanding even.

Liverpool need six or seven high quality players this summer to rejuvenate a squad that is severely lacking in just about every department.  

Six or seven would be the best part of £150m (plus wages). 2-3 is probably about our limit, with maybe another couple of 'bargains'.

Think even a couple of high quality players could be enough to make a huge difference though, and elevate those around them. Plus, while the side's performances have undoubtedly dropped in quality recently, Mane and Henderson have been missing, and Lallana, who has really shown his value this season, has only been available sporadically. All three have been pretty crucial when the side is firing.

I think people are seriously going over the top when it comes to how 'bad' this team is. It is not bad at all, infact it's showed that it's bloody good and can and will beat the best teams in the league. What it majorly lacks is a plan B when it comes to beating the so called weaker teams that come to defend against us (Man U, Burnley, Palace etc).  We become far too keen to attack attack attack on these occasions and leave massive gaps for counter attacks.

Squad wise, it's not got enough quality throughout. A top class central defender to come in for Lovren as first choice is essential. A top class LB essential. A top class striker is essential. All other areas can be strengthened but not essential. We've been without big big players for a huge chunk of the season and we are still 3rd. This isn't a bad side at all.

I think we've been poor since the turn of the year with the odd decent performance here and there. We're only still in the top four as other teams around us have been poor/inconsistent too.

The squad needs serious work. We do have a strong first eleven, but injuries and suspensions are normal. We've not been battered with injuries, but what is clear is that one or two key players miss a few games and we really struggle.

My thoughts are closer to Oh Danny Boys thinking in terms of improving the squad. I don't think we'll get the budget to do all that, but with some form of European football next season we need a far better squad or we're trusting in kids to see us through.

There's no doubt a few on the way out. Sakho is a certainty, and I wouldn't be shocked if Sturridge, Lucas and Moreno are on their way out this summer.

Why would anyone countenance a move  away for Lucas? He certainly isn't first choice when the squad is fully fit but he has proven again this year that he can fill in perfectly well in central midfield and also can do a job in central defence.

He is a squad player and one that, unless he wants to leave, should be kept.

As I said further up the thread, the problem with this team is that without Mane there is a worrying lack of pace.

A striker who is quick with a good work ethic is probably a priority for the club right now. Get someone who will make runs in behind the defence next season.

We've been linked with Timo Werner all season so hopefully there's some truth in that. Firmino will be first choice again next season, of that I'm sure. I think we'll spend out on a CB to push Lovren out, a young LB to compete with Milner, a CM, a winger or maybe even two, and a striker. So far the most reliably linked are: VVD, Sessegnon, Keita, Brandt, Gray, and Werner. That would be a ridiculous haul if the club somehow managed to pull it off. Keita, for instance, is probably simply too good to end up with us. 

Outs:

Sakho, Moreno, Sturridge, Markovic, and Lucas (unless we can convince him to be cover for another season). 

I agree that there is a sense of exaggeration about how badly we've done this season. It's the usual case of people down-playing or disregarding the things that have gone against us - key players struggling with injury throughout the season, and a ridiculous run of shitty decisions going against us during the winter/turn of the year. Obviously in many ways we haven't helped ourselves either by going into the season clearly lacking in certain areas of the squad. Still, I'm hopeful that with a good transfer window and a little luck we will be a force next season. 

Urrrrgh so it seems like Stoke arent doing us any favours at all. We 100% need to win our last two games now or another season with no CL is certainly on the cards. To give up that top 4 right at the end of the season will have a huge impact on players going and coming in. Dont fuck it up lads.

The footballing gods have contrived to continue to give Arsenal fourth place, how many times have they sneaked in there despite having no right to? Plus top 4 should have been all but assured by now, we just have the potential to choke things, we seem to have a weak backbone when the pressure is on, it's been an issue for the last few years now.  Tomorrow I can imagine the team coming out very nervy, they'll need the first goal before half time or I can see things collapsing.  Hopefully Lallana will start as that will be a huge boost.

Aye, if the side can't get the 6 points needed for fourth then they don't deserve a chance to get back in the Big Cup.

In truth, with no European football this year, and the start the side made in the first half of the season, 3rd should have been wrapped up weeks ago.

I've already resigned myself to 5th place. I'm expecting tomorrow to be like the Burnley away game where they just score on the break and then for us to batter Middleborough when it's too late for it to matter. 

I think you will get fourth, I hope you do for obv reasons - luckily West Ham had their cup final last week and usually roll over for your lot so I don't see it being any issue.

I tend to read all the main threads on here so have followed your current chatter about needing 7 players, it reminds me of Spurs for many years - turns out we needed one manager - do you not have anyone coming through the youth system?

I would not swap our manager for anyone in the prem at the moment, you may real at that thinking I'm mad but he has made a title challenging team from players we already had - Danny Rose has gone from laughing stock to player of the season material two years in a row and that can only be down to the manager and that theme goes through our entire squad.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

My father and brother in law are both West Ham fans so I hope we do best them just so I dont have to hear about how they scuppered our top 4 hopes like they're some kind of wonder team.

Girlfriend and her family are West Ham, never hear anything from her about football except when the Hammers beat Liverpool. Which has been pretty frequent recently.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

They're still bitter about 11 years ago, so they take very oppertunity to rubbish it in when they beat us.

That was actually 11 years ago yesterday. What a strike by Gerrard. 

Popped up on Twitter yesterday and still can't believe it goes in. Watched that game with an ex in Poland, first time meeting her father, neither speaking a word of the other's language. We arrived not long after kick-off, whizzed through awkward introductions and then found the final on a Polish channel, West Ham already 2-0 up by that point. The father proceeded to bring out some local vodka, insisting we drink shots at regular intervals throughout the second half, by which point the sisters and a few others had turned up. A few minutes before the end, desperate for something, anything from the red men I proclaimed 'if Liverpool win, we drink the bottle'. Gerrard pops up, I let out a roar that shocks the whole village and 20 minutes after the penalties I'm having a long, uncomfortable conversation calling Jeebus on the porcelain telephone.

Totally worth it.

(can just re-watch 100 times later when West Ham inevitably win 1-0 and pretty much end our season)